Notices

anti photo laser shield/spray

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 12:41 AM
fw2001c4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anti photo laser shield/spray

has anyone used either stuff and how effective is it? is one better than the other? i live in ny and therefore have to put fronts on but as i await the mounting bracket, i was told a cover or even a frame wouldn't take as there is only room for the plate itself.

either way, your experiences along with brand recommendation would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:30 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

'Tis a big scam,.....

I bought several like products all with "guarantee's".

After coating the plate by strictly following the directions, I took some photos with my Nikon gear (film) using an SB-20 flash. Several pics were shot from 3 angles on each side as well as directly behind and in each case, the plate numbers were clearly visible on the prints.

Oregon, like most states, use plates with reflective backgrounds so the numbers are highlighted at night and for photo radar as well as Laser.

Unless you have non-reflective plates, save your money.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the plastic covers that obscure half the plate from different viewing angles actually do work. They use a sligthly convex shaped lens to block out part of the plate when viewed from the opposite side. I do not have one but I have seen them on cars and even to the naked eye they were obscured.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:44 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

It's BS. Don't waste your money.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:54 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

I always figured that a couple of tiny flash heads, built into the plate frame, would be a good solution.

They trigger when the flash from the speed camera goes off, flooding the plate with with enough light to over expose it.

Technology already exists in the flash world, as this is how studio flash units trigger when they 'see' a flash go off.

Anyone ever seen this idea on a car?

Chris.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:10 AM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Gadgets that strobe to bollix up cameras are available. Search on radar & laser sites for info. As I recall, not cheap. License plate covers are illegal in many states.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:37 PM
ButtSled
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about where you are but here in Texas, ANYTHING on your tag is a huge BUST. Even frames if they happen to obscure any of the design. (or however the officer wants to interperet it) So be especially careful using ANYTHING designed to defeat photo enforcement. Think car siezure.

Be careful,

Deano
Old 08-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Dave_D
Instructor

Check out these two articles:

They provide test results that show the "Laser Veil" product to reduce laser speed detection acquisition range by as much as 60%. This will not help you against photo radar, however. Other laser countermeasures are also discussed, including active jammers which, unlike radar jammers, are entirely legal.

I hope this is helpful.

Dave

Quick Reply: anti photo laser shield/spray