Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 06:29 PM
perrys4
The Lady's Man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-stage supercharger-Here we go again

Two-speed supercharger promises best of both worlds
Transmission maker Antonov will demonstrate its two-speed supercharger at the Engine Expo exhibition at Stuttgart in Germany next week. The two-speed design addresses a common problem with superchargers — while they provide better drivability than turbochargers, obtaining good torque at low engine speeds leads to inefficient operation at high engine speeds. The company plans to demonstrate a Mustang fitted with the system.

The solution is to attach a tiny gearbox to the supercharger and use gearing to provide a 1.4:1 step up at lower engine speeds. The graph below shows the effect the system has on torque (see shaded area).

The two-speed supercharger will first appear in the aftermarket for upgrade kits. The initial release of the device into the buoyant US tuner market exposes the first production units to a tough performance engine environment and, in many instances, aggressive track racing conditions.

Commenting on this strategy, Brad Shantry, product development manager of Wheel-to-Wheel Powertrain, Antonov’s North American distributor, said:

“The forced induction market is unquestionably growing. I feel that a centrifugal supercharger with a step-up drive will quickly become the icon product of the performance industry.”

John Moore, chief executive of Antonov, said:

“Our tactic of selling to the world’s largest market for tuner products is strategically important, particularly while we are in discussion with vehicle manufacturers and tier 1 suppliers interested in high volume applications. It shows OEMs that we are confident enough to launch the variable drive into the industry’s toughest marketplace to prove this is fully developed and readily available technology. We have experienced strong interest and have already supplied units to OEM clients for assessment and development trials.”
Old 05-05-2006, 06:33 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Old 05-05-2006, 06:45 PM
ViribusUnits
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just use a CVT on the supercharger.

(a twin screw might be cheaer through...)
Old 05-05-2006, 07:03 PM
Herr-Kuhn
Banned

Try as they all may wish, it will never surpass the raw power potential of the gas driven turbine/compressor setup. A neat idea, but will it outperfom the turbocharger? Doubt it.

Drivability? That's a bull**** statement about SC cars having an advantage there. At least when you drop the hammer in the turbo car you get what you asked for. More gears, more moving parts...I have to agree with Hacker on this one...
Old 05-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Lance J
Pro

Run!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2006, 08:42 PM
lorenolson888
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I agree.... O **** head for the hills...

The 997 turbo has a variable vane feature... VTG?

I think it is on the exhaust side

This months porshe excellence....

Also this month has an excellent article on the developement of the 928 engine and driveline.

LO
Old 05-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Ketchmi
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yawn....

Have you ridden in a supercharged 928 yet Herr-Kuhn?
Old 05-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Herr-Kuhn
Banned

Whatever Dave. Just sit tight, the turbo 32V 5.0 Liter is coming...we'll finish this arguement later in the year.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Ketchmi
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Once again, I don't doubt your TT 32v 5.0 will run with the big dogs. Just don't put superchargers down until you have some actual experience to speak from. I play with turbos every day but have actual experience with superchargers too.

BTW, that POS 10psi CS'd 89' auto is still running perfectly with all those pesky belts and moving parts in harmony and has actually needed absolutely 0 maintenance for the last 9 months. Not even a belt tension and it's daily driven...
Old 05-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Herr-Kuhn
Banned

Ruh Ro! Sorry Dave, I've been out in the garage hanging these Garretts. BTW...never said your car was a POS.

Quick Reply: 2-stage supercharger-Here we go again