Notices

996 with kids?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 with kids?

I am in the market for my first Porsche. Thinking about a 996 cabriolet. I have two kids (2 and 4 yrs old). How easy/difficult is it to accomodate child seats/boosters in the 996? Not going to take the kids for a couple of hour drive every week, but will have to drop them off at school once/twice a week. Any insides are appreciated. I'm new on this board and would love your feedback!
Old 02-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I grew up in my 356 - litterally. First car ride ever on the way home from the hospital was in it. When my oldest was born, I called around about car seats for both the 356 and mom's '84 911. No luck for the 356 of course (I would've had to add seatbelts in back), but Porsche does carry a P-branded graco that fits right into a 911. I'd imagine that they are out there for the newer cars as well. Call your nearest big city dealership and ask. Funny enough, the Porsche braded seat was the same price as the regular Graco.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:58 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 569 Posts

My oldest first ride in a Porsche was in the center front seat of my 914 (in which I had installed another seat belt) and both my boys grew up riding in the back of our 944, 356 cab, and various 911's. Car seats fit in fine but the seat back on cabs in NOT straight, or reclined for that matter, in fact it tilts a little forward so the comfort level is a little compromised, but most kids are having so much fun, they could care less. I was in high school when my uncle got the first Porsche in our family, a '69 912. I was 6' tall but loved sitting in the back just so I could go for a ride!!
Old 02-22-2006, 10:22 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Been there, done that.

Just went through that with my '87 911. Do a search of the forums for "baby seat" for more info. Here is a cut and paste of some of the info I discovered.

What I found was that there are several inexpensive baby seats out there that have a narrow base which fit real nice in one of the rear jump seats. One Rennlister recomended a Graco Comfort Sport seat which I found at Target for $79.99. I ended up going even cheaper with a Cosco High Back Booster at $48.99. There was even a cheaper Cosco for $38.99 but they were out of stock.

The key is getting a baby seat with LATCH clips. At first I removed the bolts which hold the seat belt in place and replaced with eye-bolts (like what are used for racing harnesses). Hooked the LATCH clips up to the eye-bolts and was good to go. Only problem is the eye bolts are a little big for the LATCH clips and it is difficult un-clipping the seat. Now I am going to use the baby seat anchors out of our Volvo. That way I can still keep the seat belts in place and it is easier to get the baby seat in and out.
The picture in my Avatar is of my kids in the back of the 911. Cooper (15 months), and Cameron (5 years)

John Sabatini
Old 02-22-2006, 10:32 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Here's another find from the baby seat search

From the 996 forum

I found a GREAT carseat for the 99 Cab. Here's my experience and please feel free to add yours here too. The forum doesn' yet have a really good central thread about this including model numbers etc. that really make for a useful resourse, and for those that want the info, it's really important.

There are two night and day scenarios with child seats fit.

1) With the seat pads in place
2) Removing the seat pads ( they are attached with velcro )

There are also two comfort / practical issues:

1) Deep childseats force you to move the front seat forward to accomodate legs, and with the cab ( if it's different ) with some childseats that have a snug fit you end up having to move the passenger front seat so far forward that it's almost uninhabitable.

2) Height. A higher seatback gives the kid at least a small chance of seeing past the front seat.

SEATS
--------
Costco / Porsche
The Porsche toddler seat is a re-covered Costco seat ( I'll find out which one and post specifics here ). You use it WITH The Porsche seat pads in place. My experience with it was that the fit was great, BUT it is too deep. With it in place the front passenger seat simply needed to be too far forward for my kids legs to hang down. With mom in the car, my kid would have had her knees up around her ears.

Various
What can I say.. I tried about 15 seats that just didnt' work with or without the seat pads. This section is only here to say - don't buy a car seat and hope for the best!

Eddie Bauer Model: 22870BLP
Ahah! This thing is simply the best that I think you could find for the cab.

http://community.webshots.com/photo...541051365eXxLmc

1) Seat pads are removed.
2) fit is realy snug
3) compared to many it really doesn't muffle the speaker too much
4) it is the SHALLOWEST seat that I found. It really doesn't need the front seat to be too far forward.
5) It's black leather ;-) Looks cool with the kid in it, and even better fades into invisibility when she isn't!
6) It rides high enough for my kid to see out the side window pretty well
7) it has an optional cup holder so that my kid can spill soda all over the back of my car ( yeah right! )

The model I found is the same as this one:

http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro/bab...ster-Black.html

I'm not sure if other "high back" eddie bower child seats are the same.

That's about it. Hope this is useful.

Keith
Old 02-22-2006, 07:00 PM
hatchback
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your cut-and-paste didn't preserve the links. Here is the original post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/247389-carseat-babyseat-childseat-baby-child-seat.html

Quick Reply: 996 with kids?