Notices

What's your career, salary, and kind of Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 04:12 PM
85percent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your career, salary, and kind of Porsche?

As a former hondaswap.com moderator, I've noticed this topic is always one of the favorites. Maybe this is off-topic, but I couldn't access that forum..

It's always interesting to know what kind careers everyone has, what kind of porsche you drive, how old you are, and its especially interesting to know what kind of salary you're making..

I guess I'll go first..

Im a 22 year old inside sales representative for Verizon Wireless. I drive a 99 boxster (blown engine), which will soon have a 911 3.4L engine, or a Reman Boxster S engine.. I make between $55k to $70k (fluctuating commission)..
Old 03-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

34, '65 356 C coupe, working in education, and if I told you how much I make for what I do you'd probably go into a fit of depression.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:29 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

34 years old, paramedic/firefighter. Salary is enough that I can finally afford my dream car! Only problem - now I have to get a second job to pay for all the mods (suspension RS bodywork and interior bits exhaust...what was it that someone said about the long slippery slope?)
Old 03-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Reynard38
Pro

42 year old airline pilot and Realtor. Also I produce a very unique margarita mix. Salary is comfortable, but I'm always looking for more!
Old 03-23-2005, 04:59 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

21 year old college student/sales. i work at napa auto parts in newark, ca. It sucks I don't make nearly enough to get by. To be comfortable i'd have to take another job and in my opinion everyone that works 40 hours a week should be allright to get by.

Oh yeah and I drive a 74 914 2.0
Old 03-24-2005, 01:28 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a very average job and income today. I live in an apartment overlooking a river and have a heated garage.

In the late 90s, I worked for an investment firm and made some quick money with free trades on "nickel stocks" . . . and blew it all on cars.

While attending grad school in Miami, FL, from 1999 - 2001, I took out a huge loan based on some equity I had and a salary and credit rating I was no longer earning, and also took out the max allowed for student loans, and used the money to buy a 308, another Esprit, and a Merak. A series of large payoffs and some tight connections to people in the shipping industry in Salvador Bahia, Brazil ensured that my three cars arrived safely and to my possession. By greasing a few more people, I was able to not get killed or robbed, and sell the (virtually unobtainable in South America) cars for about 5 times in US$ of what I had invested to that point in cars, shipping, and "security".

I partied like a rock star in Brazil, flew back to Miami, paid off the loans, and partied like a rock star for another year or so while occasionally looking for a real job, knowing that my little stash of money would not last forever. I blew it all on cars and Miami life, got a crap-o job as a marketing rep for a few months, but eventually moved back to Cleveland almost penniless. All of the adventures along the way were worth the ride for this blue-collar kid. The experience was priceless, and I would do it all again. It was a great way to burn my mid-20s.

In 2003, I found myself working in a nice stale cubicle office in suburban Columbus, Ohio, doing an entry-level job that was actually connected somewhat to my degrees. The people I worked with were so damn interested in what happened on "Friends" and what well-marketed chain restaurant had just popped up in a shopping mall parking lot. It was very frustrating change of lifestyle for me.

I got promoted a notch, and now work from home. I have a very average job and income today, and enjoy my little balcony and view of the river, and the heated garage space, and working on cars in my free time. I'm going to try to be normal, make money the normal way, and not burn it all on cars!

Cheers,
Old 03-24-2005, 02:35 AM
85percent
Instructor

haha. that's a really interesting adventure. I hope I can experience something like that before my 30's. You only live once, right?
Old 03-24-2005, 02:44 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

23 year old college student failure with women, working as a drive up bank teller and going to school full time at night with 14 hour per day work/school shifts and graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Accountancy on November 19, 2005. Currently looking for another job where the people in my department are more educated than me.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:29 PM
WilsonAnderson
Advanced

I am 27, graduated from UK with a degree in English Lit. Taught a bit in middle school. Did not like it. Worked a bit for Enterprise rent a car. $7.88 an hour is what I averaged and was forced to wear a suit everyday, even when washing car, changing tires, cleaning puke off the seats, reposseing cars, fighting customers, Fighting other employees, Oh and did I mention no OT pay when you are expected to work a 55-60 hour week. 18 month later (the "hook up" who always needed a low profile truck for his trips to Florida's coast prvided the necessary herbal relaxents get busted and for some reason my ambition returned????)

Work now in the Logistics field, make decent money( bills are getting paid), work with great people, life works out.

Oh and I driver a 91 C4, bought it with 35xxx miles 3.5 years ago and now have 71xxx miles on it. Drive it every day. rain sleet or snow.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Project manager for a print Company who deals with IPO's & lots of SEC regulatory documents. Aged 32, and still not earning enough as the UK is expensive, but comfortable ~ $85K. 3 Day week, with plenty of overtime! 2 bed apartment ~$700K - so hence the need for more $!

On my second 964. Fist was '90 C4, now have a mint '91 C2 with around 70K miles. Only change it for a 964 3.6T or 964RS.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:29 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Master/Captain of an offshore drilling vessel. I got out of college, worked in a bank for three weeks, no office politics for me. My education helped in the industry at a time of growth, but I did roughneck for a while as I did this summers out of college; got into a training program about 20 years ago in the stability/control room section, studied, promoted and more licenses and I love my job. I work 2 weeks and then I'm off for two weeks...I love the sea, hate hurricanes. Salary - close/equal to General in the military but not Airline Captain salary.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by 85percent
I drive a 99 boxster (blown engine), which will soon have a 911 3.4L engine, or a Reman Boxster S engine...
so what are you driving, or trying to blow up now?

and to answer your question: self-employed, as much as I can get, 911
Old 03-24-2005, 07:57 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Retired at age 53.

Remember: Salary is not as important as net worth in life.
It's the bottom line that counts and the salary helps get you to
the point of independence.

It's great not to have a butt-hole boss to deal with or jerk customers to put up with.

Life is good retired.

Cabman
Old 03-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Herkplt1
Intermediate

41, Air Force Pilot, 95 C2. I make enough to pay for my toys......

Chris
Old 03-24-2005, 10:23 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

29 (the big 3 0 in june!!!), General Manager of a bar and restaurant in downtown San Diego. Salery is good, alot better if I'm bonusing . 2 porshes, an 85.5 944 which I hope to turn into a spec racer and my baby a '96 993.

Quick Reply: What's your career, salary, and kind of Porsche?