3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

What is the real Porsche's competitor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Piacki_117
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is the real Porsche's competitor?

All is in the title
I think it is Maserati, because of his philophy.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:15 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

none of those are really porsche's competitors.

porsche dominates its chosen niche, the sportscar market ranging from 60k-130k~

your examples, and why they can't match porsche

Maserati's reliability / residuals cannot match porsche's

Ferrari is considered above Porsche because they are both more exclusive, more expensive, and pretty much more prestigious. (if you are in a late model one).

Jaguar is less prestigious than porsche and are owned by ford with rampant parts sharing. (a big no no in the supercar /exotic segment)

Aston Martin is perhaps the only manufactuer similar to porsche in caliber. however, they are also owned by ford, and produce much less than porsche, parts sharing also happens, and finally, they are financially weak company with suspect reliaibility in their cars
Old 03-13-2005, 03:36 AM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Porsche. There is no substitute
Old 03-15-2005, 07:48 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by hitbyastick
Porsche. There is no substitute
Agreed. They have no direct competitor - at least not on all fronts.

Ferrari is way too upscale. Maserati competes against the 911 to some degree, but is a much smaller volume car. Aston Martin is positioning itself to start in the upper 911 price range, with the awesome V8 Vantage. The larger models will compete against the future Panamera spors sedan, as does the Maserati Quattroporte. The Cayenne only has competitors for the V6 and V8, but nothing that can keep up with the turbo.

So, the correct answer would be "none of the above". Because I had to vote for one, I voted "Aston Martin", but I'm torn between them and Maserati.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:41 AM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moogle

Ferrari is considered above Porsche because they are both more exclusive, more expensive, and pretty much more prestigious. (if you are in a late model one).

Jaguar is less prestigious than porsche and are owned by ford with rampant parts sharing. (a big no no in the supercar /exotic segment)

Aston Martin is perhaps the only manufactuer similar to porsche in caliber. however, they are also owned by ford, and produce much less than porsche, parts sharing also happens, and finally, they are financially weak company with suspect reliaibility in their cars

Yeah, what he said.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:42 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

What Tom said... (btw, I just went to your site and saw the coming soon section... wow!! CGT sweet!! can you share the color combo you selected? I guess that is why you got rid of the Cab TT?)

I also voted for Aston Martin as that is the only brand at this time that has my attention... but the 997 TT will be one sweet car (current 997 interior that I love and with the proper engine, IF they stick to the same engine case as in the current TT).
Old 03-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

In the old days it was vettes porsches and jags. Ferrari always tried to distance itself . I think that for me if it has 'stuttgart' on the crest, there is no substitute- but really I love them all. Its really a great time to be a car buff- not like the mid seventies. And at that time, when other cars were getting weaker and slower, porsches kept getting faster and more powerful. The 911 turbo was a banner of hope to the performance enthusiast. Who else did that?
Old 03-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

None of the above, apples and oranges. Porsche is in a niche, and is a marque on it's own.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:29 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

It depends how you think of a competitor.

Well, Maserati is in a bit of a bind as of late. I don't consider a company that has been dangling on the edge for the last decade+ a competitor for Porsche. They don't have nearly the support for their cars and their name has been lost in America i feel. Even if their cars were competition for Porsche, the number of cars they sell will hardly dent Porsche's efforts.

Aston is maybe close, especially with the new car. One problem, they are British, and now British/American. People that want one, buy one. There is a reason they are not nearly as common as Porsche. I don't think prestige plays a role either.

Jaguar is a joke nowadays. Ford makes is cheapening the brand beyond imagination. Its sad. And the top end roadster they have...it just doesn't have the broad appeal of Porsche styling. Their other cars really aren't in the same league/style of car as a Porsche either.

Ferrari would be the closest competitor. Especially when you get to the GT2/GT3/Turbo models. I think then it comes down to style versus usability.

Once you actually drive a Porsche though...nothing seriously compares.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:51 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Originally Posted by Greg Bell
Porsche is in a niche, and is a marque on it's own.
that pretty much sums it up. much more succinctly than i could manage
Old 03-28-2005, 05:18 PM
7sport
Intermediate

I agree with many above that (at least for me) none of those brands mentioned are porsche's true competitor. I make this judgement based on my own view (since i'm a porsche customer) I did not cross-shop any of those brands when I bought my 996. I did, however, test drive bmw M3's, M5's, Corvette Z06's, and even looked into an infiniti G35 and subaru sti. I also considered an NSX and probably some other cars I can't think of at the moment but no ferrari, jaguar, maserati, aston martin etc. I admit that I was looking at mostly used cars in the 40-50k range, but, nonetheless, I was looking at buying a porsche (so that makes me a customer just like a new car purchaser - correct?) Each of the above cars I mentioned was a competitor to porsche in some sense, none fill the porsche market niche as well as a porsche does (duh!) but porsche also doesn't fill the niche that those particular cars do.

I would say closest competitors would be the M3 and the Z06. I think the NSX would fit the bill too, but I was looking for a newer (not necessarily brand new) design. disclaimer: i didn't drive any of the marques mentioned in the poll.

Of the brands mentioned in the poll, however, i'll have to go with ferrari. When I think of high end sports cars ferrari and porsche always come to mind almost equally (although I still don't think they're very comparible to one another on many different levels).
Old 04-04-2005, 06:07 AM
makken
7th Gear

I don't think porsche has a true competitor in that one manufacture competes with it in all of its line up (such as BMW and Mercedes, or Honda and Toyota / Acura and Lexus), but each porsche model does have it's own competitors...

The boxster is up aganist the BMW Z4, the Honda S2000, the Audi TT, Merc SLK, etc
The 911 Carrera is up aganist the lower Merc SLs, the higher CLKs, the 6 series, XK8, and, though this is debateable, the m3's (pricing after markup is close to 80k).
the 911 TT goes up aganist the SL55, the upcoming M6, and the new Aston AMV8
The Cayenne goes up aganist the ML, X5, Range Roovers
the GT3 / GT2 has the Ferrari 360 / 430, Lambo Gallero
the Carrera GT has the Enzo, SLR
Old 04-04-2005, 04:24 PM
thomas
Instructor

The new Jaguar XJ's aluminum chassis is 40 % lighter an 60 % stiffer than if it were aluminum.

The long-wheelbase 2005 XJ weighs 53 pounds more than than normal XJ yet is 5 inches longer.

"The complete body with weighs 650 pounds compared with an estimated 1,058 pounds for the same car in steel, 952 pounds for a Mercedes-Benz S-class, and 955 pounds for a 7-series BMW."

- from The Inside Guide to the all-new aluminum Jaguar XJ by Automobile Magazine

The 2005 Jaguar Super V8, the flagship XJ, weighs over 800 pounds less than a BMW 760Li. It is shown below.

videos, pictures, and more of the new aluminum XJ

The new XJR and Super V8 both have Brembo brakes.

The next Jaguar XK will use the new XJ's aluminum chassis which will spread the costs. The next S-Type will likely use the new XJ's aluminum chassis.

The Jaguar Advanced Lightweight Coupe shows what the next XK might look like. The next XK will have to comply with new European pedestrian safety regulations.

Many people say that the Jaguar Advanced Lightweight Coupe looks too much like an Aston Martin. One thing I notice about the Jaguar is that its tail tapers off like the current XK while the trunks of new Aston Martins are flat and have that crease around them or have a spoiler like the 2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

Also, the link shows a 2005 XK8, but it says it is an XKR.

Jaguar Advanced Lightweight Coupd

Read this article about Jaguar and aluminum. It mentions a 2010 XK, but this was written before Jaguar confirmed the next XK

Jaguar and aluminum

These two future S-Types remind me of the 2001 Jaguar R Coupe and the 2003 Jaguar RD-6. The next Jaguar S-Type will likely use the new XJ's aluminum chassis.

2001 Jaguar R Coupe

Jaguar's 4.2 liter V-8 does not have the potential timing chain tensioner and nikasil problems of the 4.0 liter V-8 from 1997-2000 which first came out in the 1997 XK8.

Jaguar's V-8 is not a Ford V-8

The 4.2 liter, 390 hp supercharged V-8

New XJ's 6 speed ZF automatic transmission

I wish Jaguar would drop the X-Type and replace it with a sports car with an aluminum chassis and a V-8 engine. Here is the 2000 F-Type that was cancelled.

Tell Jaguar to build the F-Type here

Aston Martin is expected to make a profit this year. The new DBR9 won the GT1 class at the 12 Hours of Sebring last month. The last time Aston Martin won the 12 Hours of Sebring was in 1956.

The 2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage will use a 4.3 liter V-8 that makes 380 hp and 302 lb-ft of torque. It is based on Jaguar's 4.2 liter V-8 which came out in 2003. The cylinder block, cylinder heads, crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, camshafts, inlet and exhaust manifolds, lubrication system and engine management are unique to the V8 Vantage. It has dry sump lubrication. Hopefully, yellow won't be offered as an exterior color.

pictures and info of the new V8 Aston

Here are three must-read articles about Aston Martin and Henrik Fisker. He was Aston Martin's director of design from 2001 until December of last year. Ian Callum, Jaguar's director of design (whose first Jaguar from start to finish will be the next XK which will have to comply with new European pedestrian safety regulations) also worked on the DB9 and styled the Vanquish and DB7.

Henrik Fisker used to work for BMW where he styled the Z8. A link to his new car company is shown below:

http://www.fiskercb.com/

http://www.motorsportscenter.com/article_491.shtml

http://www.motorsportscenter.com/article_492.shtml

http://www.motorsportscenter.com/article_493.shtml
Old 04-04-2005, 04:30 PM
thomas
Instructor

Panoz could be a competior. They back the GTLM in the American Le Mans Series.

http://panozauto.com/

Motor Trend said in a recent issue of a test of an Esperante that the 2006 model will use some carbon fiber in its aluminum chassis which will boost rigidity and drop an estimated 100 pounds.

The C6 Z06, whose fenders remind me of the C2 and C3, could be a competitor.

Old 04-13-2005, 01:07 AM
thomas
Instructor

The next XK will have to comply with new European pedestrian safety regulations. It will use the new XJ's aluminum chassis which will help spread costs. This could be the next XK

XJ's aluminum chassis

This may be the next Jaguar XK.

The grille reminds me of the E-Type's grille.

Notice the yellow sign.

I like how the tail tapers off like the current XK. The next XK will have styling from the Advanced Lightweight Coupe that was shown at the January Detroit auto show. I don't like the circular things in the taillights, but it looks much better than the BMW 6 series. It will also weigh less.

Last edited by thomas; 04-13-2005 at 05:27 AM.

Quick Reply: What is the real Porsche's competitor?