I gotta say something

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 09:08 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Default I gotta say something

Vette vs 997

Yep, spent too much time on the boards today, but this is annoying. I keep on reading these comparisons.

"Steering feel"... I know exactly what that is. What I DON'T understand is that do these people actually know what provides the differences in this "feel"?

I'm thinking that they actually have no idea and have never taken the front of either these or anyt car apart to find out.

WIDE tires will make a car feel heavier. The vette is actually lighter. The "feel" can be changed with simple tire choice or a different alignment.

Maybe buy some harder bushings for the rack fixtures in the vette and violla - more "feel".

I'm more and more dissapointed with the new Porsche owner, and indeed the "new" company. These are not the same people who cought up the 993s and 928GTS models.

I UNDERSTAND that the car is more then the sum of its parts. BUt this C6 is a slam dunk. Put some urethane bushings in the steering system, put some harder break lines for more brake pedal feel and you have it.

I'm a porsche guy, through and through. I dreamed of these cars since I was 4 and knew what pedals did what. But I don't let the brand cloud my judgement.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:18 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Ouch Randy
Old 02-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Jim_H
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read an article last year that talked about Porsche's sweet spot market has moved more towards comfort and ease of driving not sporty, fast, great track cars that are fun on the street.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:11 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Yep.

Course, the thread that prompted me has an experienced vette owner and he makes some very valid points.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Flint
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, an article in EVO was genuinely supportive of the C6 when compared to the 997, but it's overall thrust was that when pushed to its limits the C6 really was pushed "to its limits" whereas the 997 didn't lose a whole lot of its "comfort." That's the base C6, mind you. The really interesting article in that issue compared the C6, the MG-SV "supercar," and the TVR Tuscan Mk 2. Too bad we're not likely to see either of the latter for a while (especially the TVR, IMO).
Old 02-20-2005, 12:14 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree...at least as it relates to the new BoxsterS. Check R&T...tested Corvette, BoxsterS; Mercedes something or other and the Chrysler Crossfire. Granted it was a crazy choice of contenders, but the write-up on the Boxster was pretty good....considering the American car bias by American car Mags....I know we're talking about the 997, but the 987 is still a Porsche! :d
Old 02-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Jim_H
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 987 has evolved into a beautiful car.

Maybe as opposed to seeing this as a bummer for Porsche one should really be giving a to Chevy. They really have brought the vette back to heights it hasn't seen in 40 years imo.

Quick Reply: I gotta say something