Notices

So, what exactly is Porsche thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 10:12 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Default So, what exactly is Porsche thinking?

It looks like they plan to compete with Honda and Toyota. (according to PCNA)

EUROPEAN BUSINESS NEWS
Dow Jones, Reuters

Porsche Considers Offering Gas-Electric Hybrid Model
By JOSEPH B. WHITE
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
December 16, 2004; Page D3

DETROIT -- German sports car and luxury SUV maker Porsche AG is studying whether to offer a hybrid gas-electric model, possibly a version of its Cayenne sport utility vehicle, the head of Porsche's North American unit said.

Peter Schwarzenbauer, president of Porsche North America, said a team has been studying whether the auto maker should develop a hybrid model since earlier this year.

"It looks like this is probably a trend for the future," Mr. Schwarzenbauer said during a dinner with reporters in Detroit Tuesday. "We are seriously looking at this technology" for the North American market, he said.

Japanese auto makers Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co. are pursuing aggressive plans to expand sales of gas-electric hybrids in North America. Earlier this week, General Motors Corp. and DaimlerChrysler AG announced an alliance to develop hybrid technology. Toyota and the GM-DaimlerChrysler alliance are looking for other auto makers to buy or license their competing technologies.

Separately, Mr. Schwarzenbauer said Porsche is on track for record sales in the North American market in 2004, surpassing 2003 sales by about 10%. Sales for 2004 should exceed the company's previous annual sales record in North America, set in 1986, of 30,471 cars, reaching about 32,500 vehicles sold. If the economy stays on track and "the world doesn't go crazy" Porsche should surpass 2004 sales in 2005, he said.

Porsche continues to study whether to offer a fourth model beyond its Boxster roadster, 911 series sports cars and Cayenne SUV. The company's deliberations are "30% if, and 70% what," Mr. Schwarzenbauer said. He said a decision should come sometime in mid-2005.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Greggles
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

5 years ago would you have guessed they would make an SUV?
Times change and so does market demand......
Old 12-18-2004, 01:49 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greggles
5 years ago would you have guessed they would make an SUV?
Times change and so does market demand......

Well, the good news is that Front engine V8 looks like it is going to be added to the line-up. Question is will it be a Coupe or Sedan?
Old 12-25-2004, 03:13 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting to me that one of Herr Dr Professor's first cars (was it in 1908?) was a AWD Gas/Electric hybred. Now they're going to Toyota for assistance?

Is there no coroporate shame???

Jim 1987 944S
Old 12-25-2004, 03:16 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim 944S
Interesting to me that one of Herr Dr Professor's first cars (was it in 1908?) was a AWD Gas/Electric hybred. Now they're going to Toyota for assistance?

Is there no coroporate shame???

Jim 1987 944S

Wow, I did not know that. Very interesting fact indeed.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:18 AM
houldsworth1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you still want to be able to drive a Porsche in the future? Then this is probably the only way that it is going to happen.

Take heart though - I recently read about a prototype battery powered car with a top speed over 200mph!
Old 12-26-2004, 05:42 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

still waiting on a $250k~ mini CGT...
Old 12-26-2004, 09:38 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by houldsworth1
Do you still want to be able to drive a Porsche in the future? Then this is probably the only way that it is going to happen.

Take heart though - I recently read about a prototype battery powered car with a top speed over 200mph!
Honestly? My loyalties to Porsche are starting to sunset. I am closely looking at other models, i.e., Aston Martin, Ferrari, Cadillac, Mercs B, and yes I have even been taking second glances at Corvette. Although I do not really see one in my future (Corvette) the fact that I take second looks is suprising even to me.

In light of the downward surge of resale values, recent quality control issues with the 997, par or exceeding performance, quality and, safety, for less, and diminishing performance credibility (not to mention the absence of improving the marque through racing) Porsche is just becoming another Toyota in my mind.

I used to buy heritage with Porsche, now I can only just buy the name and I suspect at some time in my lesser foolish future, I will be less inspired to just buy the name of a "has been" automobile manufacuter. If I want to buy an elitest daily driver ride I can do that with Aston Martin, Mercs, Ferrari, Caddilac, and even the dreaded BMW. All of those manufacturers still factory race their products and I can go to the races and cheer on my favorite marque...Porsche does not and usually just comes in last if it not racing by itself. Each of those manufacturers are adding increased levels of comfort and reliability. Porsche is building cars that Dr. Ing wants to drive or can repair at no cost 5 years from now.

More in today's Wall Street Journal:

EYES ON THE ROAD
By JOSEPH B. WHITE

The Wall Street Journal
Auto Industry Takes Risks On Safety, Fuel Efficiency
December 27, 2004

The auto industry has a deep-down preference for cranking out the tried and true in high volume. But 2004 saw a good deal of risk-taking on two important fronts -- fuel efficiency and safety.

Consider the recent announcement that General Motors and DaimlerChrysler will collaborate to develop gas-electric hybrid propulsion systems for an array of vehicles, both front- and rear-drive.

Of course, these two giants are stumbling in late to a party that Toyota, Ford and Honda got serious about years ago. But now that GM and DaimlerChrysler, home to the Mercedes-Benz, Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep brands, have formally announced that they plan to take gas-electric hybrid technology seriously and push it into their products, it's easier to believe forecasts that by late this decade as many as 15% of vehicles sold in America could be hybrids of one kind or another. GM may be late, but when it goes, it goes big.

Even Porsche, the German luxury sports car and SUV maker, is studying the possibility of fielding a hybrid model. Porsche owners aren't sweating the price of gas. But the head of the company's North American sales unit says a hybrid model -- possibly a Cayenne SUV -- could be critical to maintaining Porsche's high-technology, high-status image.

High Technology High Status image???? What happen to it's High Performance Heritage? Guess that's not really important in the mind of Dr. Ing.

Last edited by DoubleNutz; 12-26-2004 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:43 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

I dont know that one should judge the companys intentions on one article
Old 12-26-2004, 10:56 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by jmporsche944
I dont know that one should judge the companys intentions on one article

Well, perhaps that would be true if there were not two articles listed above and QUOTES directly from PCNA themselves.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:15 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry I wasnt trying to **** you off, I just dont think that these articles justify someone to say that performance doesnt matter to porsche anymore.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:41 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

Who says that hybrid technology and performance are mutually exclusive?

PS: Go ahead and buy an Aston Martin made by Ford, a Bentley made by VW, a Mercedes that shares components with Chrysler, a Cadillac that's a souped up Chevy, etc. At least, Porsche is independent. Remember that you are buying a car - not a right to cheer...

Quick Reply: So, what exactly is Porsche thinking?