Notices

porsche as a first car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It wasn't my first car, but when I was 23 and found my first real career job (ironically, at $12/hr), I immediately bought my first Porsche...an '88 944 n/a. I paid $12,500 for it (which should tell you how long ago that was...ahem...). It was my daily driver, all seasons, and my only car. I was single (..er, engaged, then married, then divorced...) while owning the car. I owned it for just over five years and spent at least another $12k on service and maintanence over that period of time.

Based on my experience...if you're passionate about the brand, do it. Be ready for expensive up-keep, and don't skimp on preventative maintanence. I would also agree to just totally avoid any "racing" or showing off in you Porsche. They're made to be driven, but not to be instruments for penile comparisons.

But by all means, take the plunge. The rewards and memories you'll aquire are worth it.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I think it's great that you are thinking carefully about this, saving some money and asking advice. In the UK would get nowhere near a Porsche before your twenties due to our astronomical insurance. Assuming that you can get over this hurdle and can save enough to buy the car why not? If you had the 924 over there this could be a cheaper alternative. Failing that the 944 is probably the best route. Both cars will handle well and you can get something a bit quicker later on. Personally, if it was me I would get a shagged out muscle car, do it up and sell it to some sucker for a lot of money in order to get enough money to get a decent 944. This way you get to enjoy some US automotive history, learn about repairs and paintwork and jump the queue past the really cheap dross that is out there.

Best of luck whatever you decide, just be careful!
Old 11-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Kesepton
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Caveman
I think it's great that you are thinking carefully about this, saving some money and asking advice. In the UK would get nowhere near a Porsche before your twenties due to our astronomical insurance. Assuming that you can get over this hurdle and can save enough to buy the car why not? If you had the 924 over there this could be a cheaper alternative. Failing that the 944 is probably the best route. Both cars will handle well and you can get something a bit quicker later on. Personally, if it was me I would get a shagged out muscle car, do it up and sell it to some sucker for a lot of money in order to get enough money to get a decent 944. This way you get to enjoy some US automotive history, learn about repairs and paintwork and jump the queue past the really cheap dross that is out there.

Best of luck whatever you decide, just be careful!
Ha, if only it were so simpile to just do that. I dont think its as wasy as it sounds/looks. And, youd need money to start with and risk losing it in the end. The yield for that IMO is not worth the risk. But it would be oh so much more fun wouldnt it?
Old 11-19-2004, 04:03 PM
Rufus Sanders
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 944 is a peffect 1st car IF you are a responsible driver. I know the temptation will be there to show off, adn you'll pay the price for it in one way oranother, BUT if you have the self control, you'll be light years ahead in your development of ture automotive taste. Plus you'll get a practicle course in good engineering, because you'll be doing some work on it yourself, once you go to a dealer for work...- Ruf
Old 11-22-2004, 03:53 PM
volpenyc
Pro

My 911 was my first car. But then again, I bought it when I was 29. Also - I live in NYC, which means your really don't need a car (+), but have to pay through the roof prices for everything, ie, my parking is $450/month (- - -!).
That aside, the 911 has been an extraordinarily reliable car (even starting in the snow!). I dare say its one of the most practical impractical cars you can get.
As for your finances, I think that you will find that insurance will be the biggest factor in your equation. I think that your desire to own a Porsche is an admirable quality, one that demonstrates, among other things, ambition. This trait should be fostered by any good parent. I would suggest, like my bretheren here, that a 944 or even a 928 (you can get great deals on those as well) as a first car.
Good luck!
Old 11-24-2004, 08:13 PM
hrsteel
Instructor

I bought an 85/1 944 when I was 21 and still in school. (Am 22 now and still in skool) My mother wanted to string me up for buying a "Porsh", but it was my money. Keyword: was. These cars tend to be money pits, whether for repairs or upgrades. I don't mind being broke, and I have a sorry Mercury DiSable I bought for $237 and two bicycles so I can always get there. Also, b/c Allstate thinks the Mercury is my primary car, my 944 insurance is really cheap. I think I pay about $300 a year, and I have about 16 driving certificates on file with various courtrooms throughout Georgia.
If you really like the car and don’t mind working on it a lot, I say go for it. If you want a sexy car that goes fast, you may want to look elsewhere.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:04 PM
Kesepton
Racer

Sadly, there are so few sexy cars that go fast now..

I think the biggest thing that throws all new people off, even me, is its so easy to get into P cars. 2-5 grand for a good 944, 7 for a 951? That is very practical. But, then it hits you when stuff breaks. Sadly, knowing this i still want in. Im kind of the same boat. 17, working. But i had alot of money saved up from the past 4 years of working so i could pay the car in full and have money for a few years of insurance and work. But, thats not what the money is for so, I wont just yet.

Best bet, spend a little more for the better/newer car. And, low miles dosent always mean better. Id actually rather have a daily driven 951 than a 944 with 30k on it that has been sitting. At least i know it runs well enough to be drivien daily.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:48 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, Im 16, and i have an 84 944... I saved up and bought it myself, which sounds like what you plan to do.. and I always keep money in the bank for when something goes wrong.. which is also what you should do if you plan to get one..
Old 11-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

It sounds like everyone here has some pretty good advice. Nothing more to add on my part.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Gnome
Racer

Estimate what it will cost you to own the car for a year or two, and then make that your savings goal before you buy the car. You may think that's conservative, but there's no telling what expensive repair(s) could suddenly crop up, and it's a shame to have the car sit because you can't afford to fix it. Also, if you plan to do your own work, don't underestimate the cost of parts, tools and the like. Early on I bought a fixer-upper, and it seemed like I was in Sears every other day buying another tool.

I agree with Nicole's advice about going to college. Don't trade your future for a car. But, it can be a great experience, and it's one I regret not doing sooner (I waited 20+ years for mine).
Old 12-01-2004, 03:14 PM
d993
Racer

My first Porsche was a '81 924 Turbo back when I was 16 (in 1990).
It was very cheap to maintain (one of the few Porsche models that are), and I had it for about 10 months. Then I had to have more. By 1996 I had my first 911, an '87 Carrera.
That's when it started getting more expensive, but hey, it was well worth it after 2 years and over 90k miles. I drove the hell out of it. I sold it with 207k on the odometer, and it still performed flawlessly. I missed it the day after I sold it!
Old 12-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Kesepton
Racer

here is an update on me, If anyone cares. Its rather realvent since we are both in the same boat pretty much.

After even MORE thought and consideration, im thinking the 951 may not be for me just yet. The insurance is gonna hurt when i have to pay by myself (meaning when im the only driver of it, im not a secondary as i am paying insurance already). And, maintence, unless you can find a really clean one.

I think i may just go with a miata. You can find a 94-95 one, which is what im looking for, for around 4-5grand in good condition and slap a turbo charger and some suspension mods on it for under 10 grand total. Or, even better, find a fully modified turbo miata with all the mods for around the same price/maybe a few grand higher. I dont know bout the insurance on a miata compared, anyone have an idea? Also, these cars would be much cheaper to repair and a rather large aftermarket.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:16 PM
socal_ty
4th Gear

Get a fun and RELIABLE convertible while you're young as you can't beat summer nights on trips with your friends. Wait until you're done with college or grad sch and in a job earning enough where you won't have to worry so much about potential car expenses. IMHO, $12/hr isn't enough for insurance, partying, travel, maintenance, and broken stuff. Enjoy your youth, don't work all the time for a car.
I waited until I had my first job at 25 and bought a new Boxster and have had great memories (30 now). Try the ppbb.com forums...great advice there too. You have plenty of time. Lecture over....sorry.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:40 PM
d993
Racer

Originally Posted by Kesepton
-Okay just wanna clear up a few things. My avatar is NOT me. It is my SIXTEEN Year old girlfriend.
Wow, I thought I was the only one robbing the cradle.
(I don't know how old you are, I'm 30) One of my ex-GF (2 years ago) was 16.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if the original poster is still reading this thread, but I will chime in...
I bought my 83 944 as my second car, and it had higher mileage and many problems I could barely afford to fix...but I still loved the car. My current car has very low mileage and does not need any big ticket items for a while (after tires...). I also try to do all the maintenance I can with the tools I have, not only to save money but it's my hobby.
I would just recommend asking yourself why you really want a Porsche, and what you would be willing to do to maintain owning one. I'm not driving mine right now because I just moved out, I'm in school, I'm 22 and I just have a PT job. I'm goin to put it back on the road in the spring when I graduate.
Budget your money and learn to work on it yourself. If you don't, I can't see how you will be able to afford it on a basic salary for someone your age.

Quick Reply: porsche as a first car?