Notices

5 Star Registration in Montana to beat sales tax.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 04:30 PM
reloader-1
Rennlist Member

Received 428 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Risley
How is it evasion if legally we are allowed to register a car in any state we choose to? It just so happens Montana has no sales tax on cars. Creating a legal LLC and registering a vehicle there seems to me like an option we have available to us if we choose.

We live in NC and Florida and have for 30 years. We register our cars in Florida….is that considered evasion of property taxes on our cars to the state of NC? No, it’s not.
Legally, you are a resident of ONE state, the one you spend the majority of your time at. That is the one you file taxes in, have a driver’s license, and vote.

You split your time between NC and FL, but based on the information you have provided you are a FL Resident. Setting up an LLC in a third state, with the express purpose of avoiding taxes, and not for any legitimate business purpose is really shaky ground.

Good luck.
Old 06-18-2024, 06:27 PM
Risley
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by reloader-1
Legally, you are a resident of ONE state, the one you spend the majority of your time at. That is the one you file taxes in, have a driver’s license, and vote.

You split your time between NC and FL, but based on the information you have provided you are a FL Resident. Setting up an LLC in a third state, with the express purpose of avoiding taxes, and not for any legitimate business purpose is really shaky ground.

Good luck.
Yes, we reside 8 months in Naples FL. and July-Oct in NC. So....according to our accountant and FA, you and a few other in this conversation would be correct. So, its a no-go for us registering in Montana. But hey.....I had to ask based on the fact that this company is a sponsor on Rennlist and that we see so many cars in Naples with Montana plates.
Old 06-18-2024, 06:35 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 843 Posts

1. Dealer will probably not let you Montana a brand new car.
2. Large chunk of insurance companies will refuse to insure a car on an LLC. You need to find one that will allow it.
3. When you get pulled over the cop will ask how long the car has been in the state since most states have a requirement to register a vehicle that has been in the state for longer than 2-4 weeks. If you tell the truth he can impound your car and force you to register with penalties/fines. If you lie then that's up to you but better have a concrete story because cops can smell BS from a mile away.
4. Some states incentivize "snitching" on neighbors that have Montana plated vehicles.

Up to you if this is worth saving 6k, good luck.
Old 06-18-2024, 11:05 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,108 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
man up and pay the taxes. it goes to fund your state.
My problem is not so much funding the state. It's how the state spends my money.
The following 4 users liked this post by bkrantz:
Crusje (06-29-2024), George from MD (06-20-2024), KINGHURL (06-21-2024), rituxumab (07-09-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 09:36 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 179 Posts

Try living in Virginia where you pay ~3.6% each year on the Blue Book value of ALL of your toys, cars, boats, RVs ... . I end up paying more in Personal Property tax each year on my cars than I do in insurance premiums. Boats are even worse. One year I brought my boat from Florida to Virginia in November and just because it was in a marinia here on December 31, I received a 5 figure Personal Property tax bill.
Old 06-23-2024, 08:52 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 314 Posts

Blatant tax evasion, and posting it on the internet no less. Just pay the registration and taxes where you live - this is sleazy.

Quick Reply: 5 Star Registration in Montana to beat sales tax.....