Notices

New import issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 01:13 PM
acd683
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New import issue

I have heard from a reliable source that a major headache is about to come down.
apparently all models (except Macan and 718) are being held at the port and denied entry to US. They have a part, a chip, that is made in Belarus and is currently sanctioned and not eligible for import.
Apparently dealers are being told to buy cars ASAP so they have stock.
has anyone heard similar?
The following users liked this post:
donsladek (02-04-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 01:29 PM
donsladek
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Chip made in Belarus?

Originally Posted by acd683
I have heard from a reliable source that a major headache is about to come down.
apparently all models (except Macan and 718) are being held at the port and denied entry to US. They have a part, a chip, that is made in Belarus and is currently sanctioned and not eligible for import.
Thanks for posting this information. I've got a 2024 Cayenne base which has just been completed and is on the way to Emden, and this issue came up on the Cayenne 9Y0 forum. The info released by Porsche NA only describes this as a "customs issue", and says that an electronic component in a control assembly is to be replaced.

Last edited by donsladek; 02-04-2024 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-04-2024, 11:29 PM
acd683
Advanced

I spoke with a friend in sales and he confirmed all cars are delayed, including every single 911. Not yet sure what the fix/timeline will be. I wish you good luck!
Old 02-04-2024, 11:33 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 663 Posts

Remember when we thought global supply chains would be a good thing, and prevent wars?
Old 02-05-2024, 02:00 AM
acd683
Advanced

Originally Posted by donsladek
Thanks for posting this information. I've got a 2024 Cayenne base which has just been completed and is on the way to Emden, and this issue came up on the Cayenne 9Y0 forum. The info released by Porsche NA only describes this as a "customs issue", and says that an electronic component in a control assembly is to be replaced.
I have potential bad news. I’m hearing most cars will be directed to other countries. Your car may need to be remanufactured entirely. Some cars are being fixed at the port (I know someone’s GT3RS is at port and being fixed and new arrival date is April 12, having already been here a month). But most non-specialty cars are likely to be rebuilt.
donsladek (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 01:40 PM
donsladek
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have potential bad news. I’m hearing most cars will be directed to other countries. Your car may need to be remanufactured entirely. Some cars are being fixed at the port (I know someone’s GT3RS is at port and being fixed and new arrival date is April 12, having already been here a month). But most non-specialty cars are likely to be rebuilt.
What a mess!

Ours is a Paint To Spec, so that may prevent redirection of our vehicle.

I cannot believe that Porsche cannot/will not admit to noncompliance to the rule and negotiate with US customs for a fine and settlement payments to release the already built vehicles, assuming the components in question are safe and perform properly. This would seem to be the easiest approach to resolve this problem.
Old 02-05-2024, 01:48 PM
acd683
Advanced

Originally Posted by donsladek
What a mess!

Ours is a Paint To Spec, so that may prevent redirection of our vehicle.

I cannot believe that Porsche cannot/will not admit to noncompliance to the rule and negotiate with US customs for a fine and settlement payments to release the already built vehicles, assuming the components in question are safe and perform properly. This would seem to be the easiest approach to resolve this problem.
That may be what they are attempting to do right now and why they haven't yet issued a press release - no plan is final
Old 02-06-2024, 01:03 PM
bobsters
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '24 Cayenne Coupe is sitting at the port in RI. This doesn't sound like a quick fix. I wonder if Porsche will redirect my Cayenne Coupe to another market.
Old 02-07-2024, 06:59 PM
ssadovnik
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some more information on this:

https://jalopnik.com/porsche-cant-se...-no-1851235453
ManualT (02-07-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 02:51 PM
jzw
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Still Waiting

I have a base 911 ordered in July 2023, manufacturing process started Oct 16. Manufacturing is still not yet complete. April delivery at the earliest.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:16 PM
gojavv
1st Gear

Default I have a serious mess on my hand

I financed my 911 and got European Delivery. On Jan 22nd I toured the factory and was told my car would be on the way to the port soon. I’ve just found out about this issue and haven’t been provided a resolution. Meanwhile I’m paying insurance and financing for a car with no delivery date as of now.

What would you all do? I’ve already escalate the issue to portage GA and my local dealer.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:28 PM
ManualT
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

You’d think they could give you a loaner for a few days. Drive down to the riviera.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:44 PM
Marc Leblanc
1st Gear

same story in Jalopnik
Old 02-08-2024, 10:03 PM
jayshi827
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gojavv
I financed my 911 and got European Delivery. On Jan 22nd I toured the factory and was told my car would be on the way to the port soon. I’ve just found out about this issue and haven’t been provided a resolution. Meanwhile I’m paying insurance and financing for a car with no delivery date as of now.

What would you all do? I’ve already escalate the issue to portage GA and my local dealer.
This is really unfortunate... Keep us posted on how it turns out. They should give you a loaner at least!
Old 02-10-2024, 10:35 AM
Dean Peter
4th Gear

Default Belarus

the story about the Belarus chips is true. Porsche will replace the chips at the ports. This will take time and inventory will be impacted. Porsche has done a lousy job with inventory since the pandemic and several of my friends bought different brands. Also Porsche s insane price increases will a la longue impact their sales volumes as they are moving into a different territory.. I get an m2 with more horses and equipment then a base 911 is. I ll wait how much they increase the 25 model- if too much I too will move to a different brand

Quick Reply: New import issue