Notices

New import issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 02:42 PM
Chiclet
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this thread during a general search, and wanted to add that this same issue is (not surprisingly) also affecting multiple Audi models. I have an incoming Audi that has been sitting in the Houston port since December. Dealer is *guessing* that delvery might not be until April at the earliest.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:08 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jayshi827
This is really unfortunate... Keep us posted on how it turns out. They should give you a loaner at least!
Totally agree Porsche should do something here, but… been to a Porsche dealer lately? Seen any spare 911’s around?
Old 02-12-2024, 12:35 PM
michez9
Rennlist Member

I have the exact same "DELIMINA"! Oct 13,23 took Euro Del. of 2024 Cayenne S Paid for our Cayenne Oct. 6th, 2023. Dropped off car at Leipzig Oct 27, 2023 did not get on a return Vessel until Jan 4th. 2024.

Was told our Cayenne got to Jacksonville Port on Jan. 23, 24., PCNA responds to my email on Fed. 2, 2024 with chip issue.
I am also making Car Payments, Insurance Payments, No Car to drive, 6 months of Warranty will be used up.

91 Days ( 3 months) for our car to get to Jacksonville Port, Fl.
Our car has been exposed to Sun & SALT AIR for over 160 days since manufacturing began in Bratislava, Slovakia.
The word is MAYBE late April to get car from Dealer, Totally Unacceptable, something has to be done. VW GROUP is responsible!
Old 02-12-2024, 02:01 PM
mrandell
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by donsladek
What a mess!

Ours is a Paint To Spec, so that may prevent redirection of our vehicle.

I cannot believe that Porsche cannot/will not admit to noncompliance to the rule and negotiate with US customs for a fine and settlement payments to release the already built vehicles, assuming the components in question are safe and perform properly. This would seem to be the easiest approach to resolve this problem.
It's a big screw-up by Porsche but there's no "admitt[ing] to non-compliance" or "negotiat[ing] with US customs." That's a non-starter because the U.S. has been explicit about this for sometime. It would be ludicrous to make an exception. It's more likely the rapper ludicrous will personally delivery your vehicle.

After the chip shortage during the pandemic, a lot of chip companies purposefully scaled back production to create a price increase. Same as ADM with corn syrup. See the movie "The Informant!".

That accelerated a worry that the United States would be dependent on chip companies and now companies like ASML and TSMC cannot deal directly with China and China is aggressively stealing the technology. I'm not an expert on this, just an investor and I've have done financial due diligence and understand the political reality to the extent it affects these chip companies. TSMC has committed $40B to expanding chip facilities in Arizona, to moderate success. It's a big deal and they wouldn't make those significant investments if the US would just allow penalties to be paid buy sourcing chips from rouge dictatorships.

So....with that understanding, I can only imagine the U.S. will gladly give the Germans the tall finger and tell them to use chips made by US aligned providers. Remember, these are the same people who tricked the regulators with the diesel mess.

As someone told me when I was trying to register my modded car in California: "That car will never be legal here."
Old 02-13-2024, 12:46 PM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 292 Posts

It's not just affecting delivery of new cars. If your car needs a replacement part containing this banned microchip, you can't get the part.

My car was in for service last week at a well-known shop that prepares Porsche race cars, and the owner was tearing his hair out trying to find a module he needed to prepare a brand new 718 GT4 for the upcoming season.

Porsche has no one to blame for this latest mess but themselves. I find it very hard to believe that they were unaware of sanctions that have been in effect since shortly after the Russians invaded Ukraine almost 2 years ago. Belarus is both an ally and staging point for the Russian occupation, thus all their goods are subject to the sanctions. I suspect someone at Porsche knew, but chose to ignore it, betting that they wouldn't get caught.

It smells a lot like "Diesel-Gate."

Last edited by Foosh; 02-13-2024 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:06 PM
bobsters
4th Gear

The Latest info (supplied by my Porsche Dealer) I have on my '24 Cayenne, which has been at the Port since January, is a mid-April delivery to the dealer. PCNA has not communicated with me about the reason for the delivery delay on my Cayenne or what is being done to resolve the issue.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:54 AM
Franchise88
1st Gear

The dealer had told me it's an ECU-related software issue and that they're waiting for Porsche to create ship the update for them to then update the cars. Not sure I believe it but that's what I've been told. (waiting for a '24 Cayenne)
Old 02-17-2024, 11:53 AM
donsladek
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Motor Trend Article

Latest according to Motor Trend - US customs hold due to Chinese sourced parts:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/vw-g...western-china/

Quick Reply: New import issue