To an older guy, AI is a little scarry

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 12:31 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 404 Posts
Default To an older guy, AI is a little scarry

In Vietnam's shadows, he once stood tall,
Now, in a Porsche, he conquers the road.
Whispers of war, with time, start to pall,
New sights and horizons, his heart's abode.

The wind in his hair, the roar of the street,
Mountains and valleys, he's eager to see.
With every mile, old ghosts he'll defeat,
In open spaces, his spirit flies free.

Reflections of gunfire, long left behind,
Now gleaming in sunlight on sleek car doors.
The world rushes by, both cruel and kind,
He seeks the unknown, and evermore explores.

From war-torn past to roads that gleam gold,
In his Porsche, he finds stories untold.

In my journey I have watched the first jet airliner take to the sky, watched the telephone evolve from a wired round dial to an iPhone, marveled as digital tech brought us the internet, but maybe it has gone to far & out of control.
I share a few cocktails with a younger attorney friend every week. He wanted to show me this artificial intelligence app. He types in:
“Write a sonnet about a VietNam vet who loves to travel the road in his Porsche to see the country.”
He pushed enter & the damned thing immediately started typing. 10 seconds later, the above sonnet spit out!

That is scary stuff to this old guy!

With the proper entry, that app could spit out a master’s thesis in minutes that would only require minimal editing!

Meanwhile, it’s time to get back on the road 😀

The following 2 users liked this post by rwbern:
chassis (10-19-2023), TikiLou (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 09:19 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 633 Posts

In my limited experience, AI is great for spitting out words or even artwork that looks great--unless you are an expert. I bet a true poet would not be as impressed.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:01 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 544 Posts
Default Consulting with AI

Helps me tremendously with my consulting business……especially with topics that I know nothing about……

information is given in finished grammar and ie bullet point paragraph form……

it saves me so many hours in pre meeting prep time…..a big fan as an older guy……
Old 10-20-2023, 07:10 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 404 Posts

And that is the fear! No offense, but a client is paying for consultation on a subject where the consultant is clueless. “Yesterday, I couldn’t spell consultant, now I ara one :-)
Is education becoming obsolete, limited to a little English & keyboard skills?
I am sure it is helpful to many, especially in communication applications, but it scares the hell out of me when I think about how this could
effect society as a whole.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:56 PM
Merlin_AZ
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It concerns me to some extent.
I'm not in a consulting capacity that could abuse it, but at some point, I might call on someone that could.

Last edited by Merlin_AZ; 10-21-2023 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-20-2023, 09:57 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rwbern
And that is the fear! No offense, but a client is paying for consultation on a subject where the consultant is clueless. “Yesterday, I couldn’t spell consultant, now I ara one :-)
Is education becoming obsolete, limited to a little English & keyboard skills?
I am sure it is helpful to many, especially in communication applications, but it scares the hell out of me when I think about how this could
effect society as a whole.
I use it for the finished grammar and yes, gathering information to enhance what I do know and offer it to others that are interested….what I use it for is for myself and others to gain knowledge….you have to ask AI the right questions to get what is needed…..I am excited to see what it will be able to do…..then make the choice if it is dangerous….trying it now for me in the way I am using it has not been alarming……combining it with what I know and don’t know to increase my overall knowledge on a topic works.
Old 10-27-2023, 06:37 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 420 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
In my limited experience, AI is great for spitting out words or even artwork that looks great--unless you are an expert. I bet a true poet would not be as impressed.
Yeah, let's ask Lee Se-Dol about that.

When it gets 10x better, which it will, is when things are going to get interesting.

"Humanity will be like an anthill stirred up with a stick. See the excitement coming!" - Tesla
Old 10-29-2023, 05:14 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 222 Posts

AI only as good as the source information. Garbage in garbage out. Just gets done faster.
Old 10-29-2023, 06:16 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 420 Likes on 256 Posts

In a post-truth society, the garbageman wins every time.
Old 10-30-2023, 08:45 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by justabout
AI only as good as the source information. Garbage in garbage out. Just gets done faster.
True….it all depends on how you ask questions and lead it specifically with what you are looking for……saves incredible amount of time…..for me I would spend 3-4 hours gathering information for a consulting call and now less than 1/2 hour.

Additionally, it can give incorrect information especially with statistical information, so having prior knowledge about a topic is essential to filter that out.

best part is that information given is in good grammatical form and also in multiple formats….
Old 11-01-2023, 05:29 PM
scoobydoo99
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dawn of AI

Originally Posted by rwbern
I share a few cocktails with a younger attorney friend every week. He wanted to show me this artificial intelligence app. He types in:
“Write a sonnet about a VietNam vet who loves to travel the road in his Porsche to see the country.”
He pushed enter & the damned thing immediately started typing. 10 seconds later, the above sonnet spit out!

That is scary stuff to this old guy!

With the proper entry, that app could spit out a master’s thesis in minutes that would only require minimal editing!
Try asking it to write a poem about the fear of AI! The result i got was actually creepy and subtly threatening. lol.
And students are way ahead of you on using AI for assignments. It is fairly common now, and many teachers are not even aware because they aren't keeping up with tech.
Many "news" articles are entirely written by AI today.
By far the most extensive use of AI that I've seen to date is in the area of coding. Every coder I know now uses AI to write at least some code (and in many cases, the majority of code). Try using ChatGPT 4 to write a Python code to perform some task, then see how quickly it spits out code that actually works well.
We're at the beginning of the AI revolution, with humans still in control. That will change very suddenly at some point in the future, probably sooner than we expect. But, oh well...humans had their shot. We had a decent run, but not nearly as long as the dinosaurs!
The following users liked this post:
OMFS (11-02-2023)

Quick Reply: To an older guy, AI is a little scarry