Notices

Are automatic 911s for losers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 01:02 PM
mrandell
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Are automatic 911s for losers?

Figured I'd get a response from that title The question is really about self-selection.

In the 2000's when I was in high school, the only flappy paddle was the SMG from BMW. It was notoriously jerky (I have no experience with them) but it was thought of as the transmission for the golf bag toting country club going Big Money Waster. Mercedes was the car that said "you made it" with a 5 speed automatic slushbox and the sensation of a gnarly v8. Money on the dresser, drive a Kompressor. As a result of this "made it" image, Mercedes was notoriously embraced by the Black community. There's a funny story where Richard Prior bought a new MB and the comedian Paul Mooney told him he'd get pulled over driving on sunset boulevard. They went for a ride and got pulled over twice.

Point being, there was a pathway to an automatic transmission in the luxury segment where you didn't care about shift speed or Nurburgring lap times. Maybe you wanted to keep a hand on your girl and drive at the same time. It was a cool thing. Samuel L. Jackson in Jackie Brown.

Now, the most impotent form of automobile to me is an automatic Porsche 911. I assume they're everywhere because that's what is largely for sale but I can't seem to understand why someone would buy one. Same story for the auto Corvette and auto Supra.

Girls will humble you when it comes to cars. You can spend $60,000 on a tuned Subaru STI that does 1/4 mile in 10 seconds and your date will think it's a Suzuki. I drove a shiny Porsche Boxster (manual) for years in San Diego and girls absolutely loved that car. More than any other car I ever drove including 911s.

Cars are fascinating. The automobile ruined work ethic, agency and pride for a generation of craftsman and gave rise to the very idea of consumer debt. You needed to keep working at the assembly line to pay off that shiny black Model T. The interstates gave rise to the American vacation for a growing American family post WW2 which spawned the American suburb (first in Long Island, then westward). The automobile is still seen as your first big purchase post university freeing you to work on your own and live anywhere.

The only thing that has been consistent is that cars are cool.....except for automatic Porsche 911s

So the reason question is, why did you get the autobox 911? Was it cheaper? Allowed you to get a newer 911 without IMS issues? Do girls like them more? Easier to valet? ....and another question is, what year in your life did you switch and did it align with another change in your life? a child? a marriage? left knee pain?

Last edited by mrandell; 03-26-2023 at 01:05 PM. Reason: poor sppelling
The following users liked this post:
Monetizer (03-26-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 06:45 PM
JimEb
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Read somewhere that 18% of drivers in the US know how to drive a manual. That might explain why I had to search hi and low to find my 911 in a manual. Almost caved and just bought a PDK because they outnumber MT by magnitudes. Love the driver experience of rowing your own gears in a sports car. I will say my next one will be automatic. Why? Because I'm getting older. Had to give up running this year (no more marathons for me) due to my hips. Will probably end up with a hip joint replacement in the near future. Just not as much fun wincing in pain every time I engage the clutch.

Then sometimes you just feel lazy. You want to drive without having to employ a certain level of skill and coordination. Got three cars, 2 of which are MT. The wife works downtown with a commute in heavy stop n' go traffic. She's now driving the automatic car. Just gets tiring on your morning commute when you just want to sip your coffee and listen to the radio.
The following 2 users liked this post by JimEb:
Monetizer (03-26-2023), RABjr (03-27-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 08:10 PM
Thor's
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by JimEb
Read somewhere that 18% of drivers in the US know how to drive a manual. That might explain why I had to search hi and low to find my 911 in a manual. Almost caved and just bought a PDK because they outnumber MT by magnitudes. Love the driver experience of rowing your own gears in a sports car. I will say my next one will be automatic. Why? Because I'm getting older. Had to give up running this year (no more marathons for me) due to my hips. Will probably end up with a hip joint replacement in the near future. Just not as much fun wincing in pain every time I engage the clutch.
Totally agree... I have a friend with a shoulder replacement and he chose a 992 PDK with his most recent purchase for the same reason. I've had sports cars with and without automatic transmission, although the current dual clutch variants are light years beyond those older transmissions, and the most engaging is the manual transmission hands down! My current 911 has a manual and I suspect the next one will as well, unless I experience a condition where the PDK is a more viable option.

Having said all that, if I was racing the car the PDK would be the transmission of choice.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:22 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 513 Likes on 370 Posts

I’ve owned 911’s with a 5-sp Manny, 5-sp Tip, 6-sp Manny, 7-sp PDK and my current 9Y0 obviously has a 8-sp Tip. If I bought another 911 it would be a PDK, not because I’m a loser, because I have a bum left leg. But I guarantee you it would still be a “cool” car as you school boys like to say!
Old 03-27-2023, 09:07 PM
RABjr
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

I am a fan of many different car brands and the Porsche crowd is the most opinionated about the manual tranny. I am fully fit, no health issues, no knee issues, no hip issues - but honestly like the PDK better than the 3 pedal cars. I drove several manual cars and after driving a PDK thought to myself this was really good. I ended up buying the PDK car over several manuals.

I went to an exotic car driving experience and drove a Hurracan. That car was a dual clutch and was amazing! Also recently drove a C8 'vette with dual clutch also amazing! Nissan GT-R - dual clutch car and terrific!

Hopefully the PDK disinterest will continue and keep the prices of those cars down!

For anyone reading forums trying to learn before they buy their first Porsche, my advice is check the PDK before discounting the value of the experience.

Cheers,

Rick
LDT (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 09:52 PM
guards85
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Owned an equal amount of both auto and manual vehicles over the past 30 years. I vowed to always have at least one manual vehicle in the stable for my own driving pleasure. Personally, there is a time and place for each that brings me joy. Most importantly, I don't judge anyone on their choice or need to hear the endless list of reasons cliche and otherwise, on why they enjoy one over the other.
This auto v manual drivel is as old as the internet and all of the insecurity that fuels it.
The following 3 users liked this post by guards85:
LDT (03-28-2023), pro1200 (03-31-2023), wdb (03-29-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 06:41 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 521 Posts

Take a look at the new GT3RS and GT4RS ripping up your local tracks. Then tell me that they're for losers. OP - an exceptionally poor way to introduce the weary PDK/manual discussion. In addition to automotive ignorance, heavy negative points for the casual racism.

Last edited by ldamelio; 03-29-2023 at 07:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ldamelio:
justabout (03-28-2023), LDT (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 06:56 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 404 Posts

Guess I am now considered a senior citizen, but that was not he reason we drive a PDK. I was once a steadfast purist, insisting on a MT. And then my son dragged me into a PDK at the local track. After 50 plus years of a third pedal, thought I would be cool & do the laps shifting th PDK. Well, the youngster’s lap times were better the entire day. Sooooooo ….. that is obviously unacceptable, so I had to pony up for additional lap time to run again letting the PDK do the work. Old habits are hard to break for a guy that started with a new 356SC a lifetime ago. Well, the ole man was a full second + under junior, much to his dismay. 😀 The current & probably last 911 in this journey is a PDK 991 Targa 4S. But I will admit, I still find myself reaching for that third pedal every now and then.

Last edited by rwbern; 03-28-2023 at 07:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rwbern:
LDT (03-28-2023), wdb (03-29-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 10:41 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 308 Posts

Tell me you are an immature racist with ridiculous “beliefs” without saying it outright.
The following 2 users liked this post by leftlane:
guards85 (03-29-2023), ldamelio (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 01:40 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 452 Posts

PDK > manual.
pro1200 (03-31-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 06:00 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leftlane
Tell me you are an immature racist with ridiculous “beliefs” without saying it outright.
I’m willing to let him off the hook with immaturity.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:16 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
Actually, I pretty much think he said it outright. Not much interpretation needed.

Last edited by ldamelio; 03-29-2023 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:53 PM
GTSlover
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where does race come into this?? I personally prefer manual but not in something like a MB Sprinter lol
Old 03-30-2023, 08:14 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSlover
Where does race come into this?? I personally prefer manual but not in something like a MB Sprinter lol
maybe if you read his post instead of just the title you’d see.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:17 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Interesting to note that the OP has disappeared.

Quick Reply: Are automatic 911s for losers?