Notices

Are automatic 911s for losers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 08:38 PM
othertbone
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 209 Posts

I would never own an automatic 911, even a PDK, but that's just me. People love their automatics and that's cool
Old 03-30-2023, 09:17 PM
GTSlover
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
maybe if you read his post instead of just the title you’d see.
I did. I don’t see how that is racist he is just saying that they were the epitome of luxury and so several successful black people valued that.
Considering most of the celebrities he mentioned didn’t come from the best circumstances it makes sense that they would want to show the world they’ve made it. And what better way to do that than with the latest and greatest…where’s the racism
The following users liked this post:
PajamaShark (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 11:42 AM
pro1200
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm bored so I'll comment-the PDK equipped 911 is FASTER when driven in a spirited manner. I suck at driving on the track but I'm trying to improve. When concentrating on hitting the apex, not having to worry about selecting gears is one less thing to worry about.
The following 2 users liked this post by pro1200:
GTSlover (03-31-2023), wdb (04-01-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 04:23 PM
Atheist
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 112 Posts

Let's see, I love driving a manual. I am 68 years old and can still drive a manual with ease and comfort. Actually started out looking for a manual and use to think, who buys a sports car with an automatic? While I may be old and set in my ways to some extent, I was certain the way to go was NA/MT especially in a Porsche, due to 50 years plus experience, and that traditional thinking was preventing me from looking at PDK cars. BUT I am not stupid nor inflexible or a dinosaur in my thought process. Technology changes, so when deciding on what 911 gts to buy I started test driving cars. In the end I found the NA/MT CPO cars are definitely more difficult to find and those that are out there are at a premium due to the scarcity. Then I drove a 2016 GTS with PDK and was amazed with the capability of the transmission, whether shifting it manually either with the shifter or the paddles. Yet I was not quite sold because of my prejudiced view of what a sports car is. Then I drove a 991.2 with PDK and all I can say is that the combination of the twin turbo motor with the PDK was an eye opener. When I made my mental list of pros and cons between the two cars. The decision became more clear especially when factoring in how I drive the car which is basically daily commuting or weekends on public roads. Then adding in the undeniable fact that plain and simply the PDK/Turbo cars perform better and are much faster. It was easier to find a car spec to my liking. I realized that while I rightfully believed that the 2016 last year of the NA car and one with a MT would hold value for purists and collectors, I am not buying the car to resell and if so, I would want to limit the mileage which defeated the purpose of daily driving pleasure. So I think had I purchased a car to sell in the not so distant future a 2016 NA/MT GTS would be good to maintain it's value to the Porsche enthusiast used market, frankly the newer 2017 car with PDK and turbo charging is just better in all aspects of performance and especially in the normal rev range of street and real world driving. Plus you can still select gears as you wish, just without the clutch pedal and do it much quicker. There is a reason why Formula One and almost all race cars have done away with clutch pedals. Why retain a technology that actually slows the performance? Nostalgia? When I was at the dealer a few years back they had a old 930 turbo with very low miles on it for over $300,000 . What a collector car, but right next to it there was a new GT3 for $165,000. Well if I wasn't going to drive it that 930 would make a great addition to some wealthy guys collection, but the GT3 would be the car I'd buy and then drive into the ground.

Porsche typically improves with every generation and I don't quite understand the reason for trying to cling to outdated tech for the sake of nostalgia. It's a lot of fun to drive a 1962 356, for nostalgia but if performance is what you want...it isn't the car to choose. All change encounters resistance. The change from Air Cooled to Liquid, NA to Turbo, and soon ICE to electric ( I holding out on that ) but the arguments for NA or MT were always performance based. Now those arguments don't hold water and the only arguments are l like pressing a clutch pedal more, I like the noise more. Oh the good ole days when music was good. I say it then think of my parents saying the same thing when Rock n Roll became popular. "I'll never drive an automatic" belongs with the I'll never use a cell phone, or who needs a computer. Manual transmissions will go the way of Hi Fi and vinyl records, because they just are not as good at doing what they were intended to do as the new technology.
The following 2 users liked this post by Atheist:
LDT (03-31-2023), pro1200 (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 05:19 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,634 Likes on 5,099 Posts

Why ask such a question?

Especially in such a manner?

You're better than that.
The following users liked this post:
ldamelio (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 06:23 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 521 Posts

Data point from the thread currently posted above: Max Verstappen drives a GT2RS. (i.e. PDK) So there is a definitive answer to OP's question: No.

Quick Reply: Are automatic 911s for losers?