Notices

Montana Registration

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021 | 10:55 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Default Montana Registration

Well, I am very surprised I have not seen this topic come up? it must be taboo or very discrete. I see lot so Montana plates at local shows. In CT I will be looking at $14K+ in sales taxes and over $3K in property taxes every year. I was wanted to know more about the legal registration process for Montana.

I looked a a few websites and initial costs and the up keep costs of the LLC seem minimal and almost nothing compared to the property taxes. Is there a go to / recommended source that people have used to help with the process. Maybe there are legal downsides, but I would at least like to better understand the process and see if it is right for me.

Popular Reply

11-24-2021, 06:01 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

All three of my Porsches are registered in MT as are many of my buddies' cars. To prevent any second guessing and to give myself an extra layer of protection, I also drafted a rental contract from my LLC to myself. So if I get pulled over or challenged in anyway, I just tell them I am renting the car from a company based out of MT. It doesn't matter if I own the company and that I am renting the car for $1 a year. None of the cars were bought in my home state. The rental contracts were also not signed/executed in my home state either. I was open and honest with my insurance company on my arrangement. They don't care as long as I am paying the premium for where it is garaged. My LLC is listed as an interested party with my insurance company, and on my insurance account the cars show they are registered in MT, owned by my LLC and garaged in my home state.

My GT3 was the first car my LLC bought new and there was no issue with the dealership registering it in MT and no issue with insurance. I only had to give them the articles of incorporation and have my LLC listed on the insurance card. No issue at all.

There is NOTHING illegal about doing this. My LLC is in good standing and created IAW the laws of MT. It's not a tax dodge, it is not fraud and it is not tax evasion. That is just BS nonsense. The primary purpose of an LLC is to limit liability which includes tax liability. Go look at how many US corporations are registered in Delaware or International companies registered in Ireland.

Edit: The State of Delaware is a leading domicile for U.S. and international corporations. More than 1,000,000 business entities have made Delaware their legal home......and they are all registered at a tiny office in Wilmington.
Old 11-24-2021 | 10:58 AM
LexVan
Banned

Reach out to Rennlister @subshooter . He's well versed in this matter. Happy Thanksgiving.
The following users liked this post:
rodneyr (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021 | 11:05 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

It’s easy to do, I’ve done it.

I also want to live in a state with only $3k property taxes. Also FYI California sales tax in my city is 9.875%, so…
wormman (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021 | 11:24 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

RodneyR: I am in the same boat as you as I live in Greenwich. They deem all vehicles, leased, financed or owned, as property and are taxed as property in CT based on your local mill rate which varies from town to town.
When I bought my first Porsche I paid the crazy 15k in taxes at registration at DMV on my Credit Card and for every year thereafter I was and am still hit with a property tax based on the depreciated value. Its a terrible tax that very few states impose, but CT is one of them. If I could go back and do it all over again I would have started out with the Montana trick. Its a lot of money. potentially 20k upfront and many thousands annually, but because I already paid it, so long as I trade in or sell my car to a dealer, I get that tax credited to my next car.

For example, I paid the 15k on my 2018 Targa and traded it in to the local dealer for a new car. When I get the new car I now have a 15k tax credit towards the taxes I need to pay on the new car. If the taxes are now 20k for the new car, I only have to pay 5k difference. If the taxes are 12k on the new car I pay nothing and lose 3k in credits. However, you still have to pay CT the property tax on the car every year for life.

Montana is the way to go on a new car if you didn't F up like I did not knowing the first time around. Let me also add that you will have a Montana license plate on the car and CT has made threats over the years about cracking down on people doing this, but I don't know of a single person who has gotten in any trouble and I don't think that they can legally stop you from registering it in Montana. PM me if you wish to discuss further.
Old 11-24-2021 | 11:52 AM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

I have been tempted to do this for a long time, but I feel like California would somehow seize my house over it. Ugh.
Old 11-24-2021 | 11:56 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodneyr
Well, I am very surprised I have not seen this topic come up? it must be taboo or very discrete. I see lot so Montana plates at local shows. In CT I will be looking at $14K+ in sales taxes and over $3K in property taxes every year.
LOL @ 3k property tax. If I lived in CT I wouldn’t even bother with the montana nonsense imo
Old 11-24-2021 | 11:58 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Its not just 3k every year for life, it's the 8.75% initial registration fee. On a 200k car that's $17,500 in registration fees from day one.
Register in Montana and pay $175 and you're done.
Over 5 years you pay $175 to Montana or $33,000 to CT.
The following 2 users liked this post by PTS-BRG:
LOMartin (12-03-2021), rodneyr (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021 | 12:10 PM
wisky
Rennlist Member

I have one setup but I have yet to use it to title / register a vehicle.
Old 11-24-2021 | 12:11 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

There is another factor to consider.. If the Democrats manage to repeal the SALT tax (which limits all US citizens to a maximum of $10,000 in property tax deductions) and get their wish of a maximum of $85,000 in property tax deductions, then paying CT the property tax won't sting as much. Being able to deduct the property tax on the car in addition to your home would certainly help, but the law hasn't been repealed yet and it still pales in comparison to the Montana trick.
Old 11-24-2021 | 12:21 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
RodneyR: I am in the same boat as you as I live in Greenwich. They deem all vehicles, leased, financed or owned, as property and are taxed as property in CT based on your local mill rate which varies from town to town.
When I bought my first Porsche I paid the crazy 15k in taxes at registration at DMV on my Credit Card and for every year thereafter I was and am still hit with a property tax based on the depreciated value. Its a terrible tax that very few states impose, but CT is one of them. If I could go back and do it all over again I would have started out with the Montana trick. Its a lot of money. potentially 20k upfront and many thousands annually, but because I already paid it, so long as I trade in or sell my car to a dealer, I get that tax credited to my next car.

For example, I paid the 15k on my 2018 Targa and traded it in to the local dealer for a new car. When I get the new car I now have a 15k tax credit towards the taxes I need to pay on the new car. If the taxes are now 20k for the new car, I only have to pay 5k difference. If the taxes are 12k on the new car I pay nothing and lose 3k in credits. However, you still have to pay CT the property tax on the car every year for life.

Montana is the way to go on a new car if you didn't F up like I did not knowing the first time around. Let me also add that you will have a Montana license plate on the car and CT has made threats over the years about cracking down on people doing this, but I don't know of a single person who has gotten in any trouble and I don't think that they can legally stop you from registering it in Montana. PM me if you wish to discuss further.
We are close neighbors! I like what I hear so far on the Montana registration. It seems like a no-brainer unless there is a catch no mentioned yet.
Old 11-24-2021 | 12:26 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Its not just 3k every year for life, it's the 8.75% initial registration fee. On a 200k car that's $17,500 in registration fees from day one.
Register in Montana and pay $175 and you're done.
Over 5 years you pay $175 to Montana or $33,000 to CT.
This is the root of the problem and why I am looking into the Montana registration. It is the forever property tax on the car. So, lets say I own the car for 10 years I am looking at around $35K on property taxes on top of the initial $14K+ sales tax which puts the total to around $50K!
$50K in taxes for a $200K total is crazy.
Old 11-24-2021 | 12:27 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LexVan
Reach out to Rennlister @subshooter . He's well versed in this matter. Happy Thanksgiving.
Lexman thanks for the tip. I will definitely reach out.
Old 11-24-2021 | 01:02 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

The problem is, some states offer a cash bounty to snitch on anyone with Montana plates.

Everyone I know that’s had Montana plates, has been turned in by jealous people.
Tedster (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021 | 02:01 PM
RyanSD
Pro

make sure your insurance is ok with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by RyanSD:
AlexCeres (11-24-2021), rodneyr (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021 | 02:09 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

I tried this. Insurance was the problem. I’m not sure an LLC would protect you if it just owned a car. In GA you have 30 days to register a vehicle. It also would not match your license.

Quick Reply: Montana Registration