Notices

Christophourus

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 10:51 AM
perrys7342
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having been a subscriber of Christophorus for a good portion of my 42 years of Porsche ownership, it's a worthwhile $28 annual subscription of interest to Porsche Owners.

Besides the outstanding photographs, the publication contains some well written technical articles on more "mundane" subjects like Winter Testing, Wind Tunnels Results, etc. that do not make the grade for inclusion in general automotive magazines. Also, there are articles on great places to visit and dine in out of the way places that most of us would never know about.

However, remember it is primarily a House Organ of Porsche AG and as such is basically serving the overall Company advertising program. You also have to stomach the ads from Hugo Boss and others which try to augment (incorrectly I hope!) the "Gold Chain" image of Porsche Owners.

If you're into business topics, it usually contains pages at the front of often self-congratulatory achievements of Porsche AG and Senior Management and gives insight in why the cost of these described events adds such a nonvalue-added overhead premium to the price of Porsche automobiles.

Lastly, for business "HUMOR" on personnel changes, you can't beat it! In Porsche and Deutschlanddom, no executive is ever "fired" for lack of demonstrated performance. In contract to the English language version of the rest of the magazine articles, the suddenly stilted language will announce that "Prof/Dr./Ing. Helmut Wingnut (or whoever) has left the Company to pursue other opportunities..." When you look into the bio and qualifications of the departing former "Superstar", you can't believe that he (usually) was ever hired to start with based on past experience and demonstrated technical or business performance. Alas, the departed "Ubermensch" had only the formal education of the University System in arriving thru the automatic door opener....

So, in summary it has a little bit of it all...Technical articles on more mundane subjects better than Excellence, Road Test articles that don't have to reach inconclusive results (so as not to offend advertisers) like R&T, Car & Driver, etc, and Gourmet dining at exotic locations with an automotive twist. And as indicated, a great companion for humorous insights that should be on Saturday Nite Live or archived with the best of the old "MAD" Comic magazine.

Perry
Old 07-07-2004, 09:43 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kevin,

My car was selected as part of the 40 year of the 911s too, representing 1992 for the Orange Coast Region of the PCA's White Gloves Concours.

Your car and mine are a mirror image as your is right hand drive, and mine is left hand drive, :-).

Sonny

Quick Reply: Christophourus