Notices

Is Porsche greedy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 11:42 AM
tomc66
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is Porsche greedy?

Porsche already has the highest margins of any mass produced auto. In the past year, the dollar has strengthened against the Euro, which further improves their margins. Now they need to take a price increase on 2021 cars?
Old 05-22-2020, 11:48 AM
g00dparsh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

They are in business to make money, and if it doesn't affect sales, why wouldn't they?

Plus there is no doubt a sizable amount of R&D cost to recoup to meet new regs, etc.

Lastly, Porsche are one of the few "premium" brands whose long-term reliability and build-quality (as well as performance) seem remotely in line with how much you're paying for the car.....in my opinion.
The following 5 users liked this post by g00dparsh:
997usa (05-22-2020), Freddie Two Bs (05-22-2020), Metalblond (05-30-2020), RennenStimpy (05-26-2020), SamD (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 11:56 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Supply, Demand
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
997usa (05-22-2020), lightguy (06-02-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 12:04 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

They have the data, they will increase prices until their sales decline.

The long term effects of the economic downturn will likely have some downward pressure on discretionary spending, which buying a Porsche product likely falls under.

Interesting times, though morbid, to come.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:14 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by g00dparsh
They are in business to make money, and if it doesn't affect sales, why wouldn't they?

Plus there is no doubt a sizable amount of R&D cost to recoup to meet new regs, etc.

Lastly, Porsche are one of the few "premium" brands whose long-term reliability and build-quality (as well as performance) seem remotely in line with how much you're paying for the car.....in my opinion.
Re: the OP's question ... it should really be is Porsche greedier than other car manufacturers? I really don't think so as it's value versus just simple cost. I loved the response about about recouping sizable amount of R&D, regs, etc. I used to manage global projects across 140 different countries. Talk about a MAJOR PITA!! I always felt underpaid on those types of projects with the myriad of issues, regulations, etc. I had to deal with and multitude of government entities that I had to appease.

But for me, and more to the point, the biggest things is the overall attention to detail and I'm talking engineering, not just design. The engineering is fantastic on these cars IMO; had a friend that told me Porsche's were too delicate and I told him he had used the WRONG word. They are PRECISE and that's a big difference in my book. They are also very reliable, especially when given the proper care. I know a lot of Porsche enthusiasts don't like the 996, but I absolutely LOVED my 996TT that is shown in my signature. I put almost 70K miles on it, drove the daylights out of it (but always warmed the engine, oil, etc 1st and cooled it down properly), and it was almost bullet proof! In 13+ years I replaced the clutch assist (don't remember correct term), power window roller in door and a coolant reservoir under warranty. Out of warranty was a fuel pump (really was the wire braided hose that gave out but couldn't obtain just it) in the 12th year and a new radiator after a Jeep in front of me threw a rock through it (insurance took care of that) in the 13th year. So oil changes, new tires and that was pretty much it. The brakes, suspension (even though lowered) were still fine although getting close to needing replacement.

Plus whenever I did have an issue (TSB) or grease on window due to failing power window roller, etc. I *NEVER* ever had a issue or was questioned by the Porsche people about it. Is was, "OK, fine ... what else do we need to fix or look at"? I haven't found that hardly ever at other dealerships, German, Japanese or American. And that means an awful lot to me re: that level of service and commitment to owning a truly premium car. But your mileage could vary; as I have friends who think I'm crazy for owning a Porsche. But if you're a real car nut like I am, and appreciate this level of sophistication and precision in a sports car, then it makes sense to me (and fortunately my wife who is also a Porsche nut).
The following 2 users liked this post by russbert:
540gone (05-22-2020), g00dparsh (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 05:49 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 421 Posts

Inflation
Cost increases every year.
The following users liked this post:
hillfolkidol (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 12:42 AM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

I'm not sure I'd call it greed. As someone else pointed out, they are in the biz to make money. And I'd rather have them secure and able to weather some storms than collapse as others have, just for my own selfishness.
As long as people are payin', prices will keep goin' up.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:12 AM
eadingleberry
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Supply, Demand
More likely margin optimization fueled by lower projected volumes.

That is, if we need to find a narrative. This kind of small increase is SOP though and you should be able to negotiate better discounts to negate it anyway.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:21 AM
hillfolkidol
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-23-2020, 10:39 AM
Rican
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by russbert
Re: the OP's question ... it should really be is Porsche greedier than other car manufacturers? I really don't think so as it's value versus just simple cost. I loved the response about about recouping sizable amount of R&D, regs, etc. I used to manage global projects across 140 different countries. Talk about a MAJOR PITA!! I always felt underpaid on those types of projects with the myriad of issues, regulations, etc. I had to deal with and multitude of government entities that I had to appease.

But for me, and more to the point, the biggest things is the overall attention to detail and I'm talking engineering, not just design. The engineering is fantastic on these cars IMO; had a friend that told me Porsche's were too delicate and I told him he had used the WRONG word. They are PRECISE and that's a big difference in my book. They are also very reliable, especially when given the proper care. I know a lot of Porsche enthusiasts don't like the 996, but I absolutely LOVED my 996TT that is shown in my signature. I put almost 70K miles on it, drove the daylights out of it (but always warmed the engine, oil, etc 1st and cooled it down properly), and it was almost bullet proof! In 13+ years I replaced the clutch assist (don't remember correct term), power window roller in door and a coolant reservoir under warranty. Out of warranty was a fuel pump (really was the wire braided hose that gave out but couldn't obtain just it) in the 12th year and a new radiator after a Jeep in front of me threw a rock through it (insurance took care of that) in the 13th year. So oil changes, new tires and that was pretty much it. The brakes, suspension (even though lowered) were still fine although getting close to needing replacement.

Plus whenever I did have an issue (TSB) or grease on window due to failing power window roller, etc. I *NEVER* ever had a issue or was questioned by the Porsche people about it. Is was, "OK, fine ... what else do we need to fix or look at"? I haven't found that hardly ever at other dealerships, German, Japanese or American. And that means an awful lot to me re: that level of service and commitment to owning a truly premium car. But your mileage could vary; as I have friends who think I'm crazy for owning a Porsche. But if you're a real car nut like I am, and appreciate this level of sophistication and precision in a sports car, then it makes sense to me (and fortunately my wife who is also a Porsche nut).
Great post!

Old 05-24-2020, 11:41 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 661 Posts

To me, "greed" applies when the buyer has little choice.

You have to decide if a new Porsche is worth the asking price--to you. If not, lots of other choices.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:41 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 566 Posts

They charge for options that should be standard no charge cost, especially if they come standard on a Corolla or Buick........
Old 05-28-2020, 12:50 PM
g00dparsh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
They charge for options that should be standard no charge cost, especially if they come standard on a Corolla or Buick........
While very true, I feel like this is a multi-sided discussion. A person buying a Porsche more than likely has a big appreciation for things like engineering, build quality, and the way the car feels to drive over and above whether it has blind spot monitoring or navigation standard. Someone who wants a lot of standard options might be better off in something like a BMW, and that's why different brands exist
Old 05-28-2020, 04:02 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by g00dparsh
While very true, I feel like this is a multi-sided discussion. A person buying a Porsche more than likely has a big appreciation for things like engineering, build quality, and the way the car feels to drive over and above whether it has blind spot monitoring or navigation standard. Someone who wants a lot of standard options might be better off in something like a BMW, and that's why different brands exist
Paying thousands for some safety features, ie lane change assist, that are standard on mainstream cars is the real irritating factor when ordering the car...the amount they charge also is almost laughable...maybe if the prices were more reasonable, it would not be that evident.....I realize the cost of customization for different non-safety items but when you are paying 150k plus for a car you expect today’s generic or standard safety features you find free on much lesser priced cars to come with the higher base pricing.....heck we all pay it but it just seem like they pile on.....
Old 05-28-2020, 06:43 PM
evansmj
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lets you spec the car how you want, i like that. I will track it, i dont want blind spot radars nonsense or auto panic braking or night vision or automatic rev matching (now standard in 992 manuals though) in my car at all.

Quick Reply: Is Porsche greedy?