Notices

Help!! What's this colour?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 08:48 AM
Jimbooo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phew, last one!! Picky, me?

Anthracite 2 - Eh? This is definitely anthracite but it's even darker than Graphite - did colours vary in later years?

So far I'm thinking Slate grey or Graphite (or an in-between Anthracite), what do you all think?
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2004, 09:13 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

this is a slate grey 69 912, 100% orginal, including orgiginal factrory paint.. yes, this is a full blown concourse car.... this is my friend Lisa's pized possession, Louise (named after Dr. Porsches daughter)

Old 03-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Jimbooo
- did colours vary in later years?
Yes. Slate Gray from the early cars will NOT be the same Slate Gray from the later cars. This is why I suggested paintscratch.com...since you know the year of the car you photographed, you can get the factory color selections for that model and that year. (my attached image is for '89...which you mentioned.) Their color swatches may not be terribly accurate compared to the actual paint. But it should be close enough to buy a test spray can.

The car you photographed has a greenish tint to it's gray color. This, and it being an '89 color, is why I suggest it's Slate Gray Metallic.

FYI, I'm not affiliated with them, but I just recieved a can of Zanzibar Red, a modern color I'm thinking of painting my '72 in. I'm very satisfied with paintscratch.com.

Harry, Lisa's car is BEAUTIMUS!!!!
Old 03-07-2004, 05:11 PM
Jimbooo
AutoX

Yeah, it certainly looks like slate grey. Why did 1989 have two totally different Slate Grey Metallic Clearcoat colours? Were they for different models?

Right, sorry for being a total cretin, but if it's Slate Grey Metallic Clearcoat I want, what do I use as a basecoat?

Looking at other pictures of slate grey cars, it looks like the first car I attached photos of (I got the images from a website btw) had almost a pearlescent paintjob - certainly more lacquer than standard. Also none of them look quite as dark as that one, I might ask if they could use the Porsche code as a guide and mix it a little darker... would that be a darker clear or basecoat?

Unfortunately i'm in the UK so I can't use Paintscratch, but I'll have a hunt around and get some spraycan samples, thanks for the advice.

Can you please not post any more pictures of that 912 again, I'm getting keyboard problems because of all the dribble collecting in it! It really is beautiful - one day it will be mine, oh yes...
Old 03-07-2004, 06:59 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

you think she looks good in that pic, you should see louise in person!

Lisa is very proud of her, and puts alot of hard work into keeping her looking that good, while being able to drive her. she swares by griots garage products, and religiously cleans, and keeps everything nice. although this cars a queen, she's not a garage queen that never gets driven.. lisa drives her to work alot, she tells me.. although she covers her back up when she gets there

btw, when i was on route to the gathering in so cal, guess who we happened to see them on 101 while she was on route to the show as well... talk about a welcoming sight to a great weekend!!!

oh and doug.. lisa is a cincy native! she wants to check out john dizons colection next time shes in town.. im trying to get her to visit her parents in time for the taj show.

heres lisa with her lovely louise.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:32 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Jimbooo
Right, sorry for being a total cretin, but if it's Slate Grey Metallic Clearcoat I want, what do I use as a basecoat?
No such thing here...

I believe that the paint will have all of the color and metallicizing in it, and a clearcoat will give it the extra depth. So it should just be primer, paint, clearcoat.

I think with metallic paints, varying lights give widely varying effects to the color (which is why we love them!). I would bet on the code...then find a good automotive paint store. They should be able to fix you up with something in a tester.

Good luck!

Old 03-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Porsche changed to more enviro friendly water based paints during the early 90's, maybe there was a slight change in hue because of this. I know the paint code information is different-when I needed to order paint for the splitter on my old slate grey metallic 968 coupe I was asked what year and the specific code-mine was L23F.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:08 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Doug&Julie
I think with metallic paints, varying lights give widely varying effects to the color (which is why we love them!).
not just that, but from batch to batch, metallic paints can vary in color. they're the most difficult colors for a body shop to match because they're so tempermental. they can be really close, but to make an exact match is very difficult. if you saw cars of the same metallic color, but different batches of paint, they could look like they were a very slightly different color if you looked really closely.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Jimbooo
AutoX

Originally posted by Doug&Julie
I believe that the paint will have all of the color and metallicizing in it, and a clearcoat will give it the extra depth. So it should just be primer, paint, clearcoat.
Sorry, I'm really confused now! Is the Slate Grey Metallic Clearcoat the clearcoat or the paint?

Do you mean it should be primer, then Slate Grey Metallic Clearcoat, then lacquer? Or primer, then Slate Grey paint, then Slate Grey Metallic Clearcoat?

Thanks for humouring me!!
Old 03-09-2004, 09:45 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry...paintscratch.com refers to this color as Slate Gray Metallic Clearcoat to identify that this paint requires a clearcoat. No, the paint you will get is Slate Gray Metallic. But it won't be an effective metallic until the clearcoat goes on. So it's still a three step process: Primer, then Slate Gray Metallic paint, then clearcoat.

That is a little confusing...sorry.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:38 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

To the left is slate grey metallic with a nice (??????) white background.

Al
Old 03-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Jimbooo
AutoX

That looks so much darker than the others! It seems like the colour really does change a lot depending on the year/model/background/weather/mixer's mood at the time. I think what I'll do is just go ahead and order a Slate Grey spray can and do a test area, then I can always ask them to do it a little lighter or darker depending on what it looks like.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Quick Reply: Help!! What's this colour?