Notices

Help! Friend needs to flatbed Boxster behind moving van, need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019 | 04:05 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Default Help! Friend needs to flatbed Boxster behind moving van, need ideas

Hey there,

I was talking to a friend tonight, and he is headed to Maine to spend the summer with family. He is driving a moving van across the country with a bunch of his family's stuff (they are going there permanently) and he wants to flatbed his Boxster behind the van.

According to him, the van has big mud flaps, and the trailer sits pretty high off the ground. I know his car has paint protection. What else does it need to stay safe? Someone said "use a car cover that fits" which sounds like it will work, but what is the best way to secure a cover? Someone else said "use crash wrap or painter's tape" but he called an automotive supply place and they said not to do that, as it will leave a lot of residue that is very tough to remove, especially when driving in the summer.

If he does neither, how bad will the rocks be from the van? I told him that he should rent an enclosed car towing trailer, but he can't find one locally.
Old 06-25-2019 | 04:48 AM
Psorcery
Banned

The residue will easily come off with goof off. Not goo gone which is a sub par product. It's safe on pain too.
Old 06-25-2019 | 08:38 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

How about a car cover? He would need to put some straps in place to make sure it doesn't blow off but I am guessing this would work.
Old 06-25-2019 | 10:58 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JW911
How about a car cover? He would need to put some straps in place to make sure it doesn't blow off but I am guessing this would work.
yeah, and he has one. I suggested wrapping it with shrink wrap. is there any reason this would be a bad idea?
Old 06-25-2019 | 11:26 AM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Car cover bad, shrink wrap should be okay. Covers flap too much and harm the finish. Learned that years ago with a motorcycle.
Old 06-25-2019 | 12:27 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GKGEIGER
Car cover bad, shrink wrap should be okay. Covers flap too much and harm the finish. Learned that years ago with a motorcycle.
OK, so stretch wrap, like the kind that comes in a long roll?
Old 06-25-2019 | 02:14 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

I don’t know about stretch wrap, shrink wrap tightens with heat and forms a sort of skin. Google it.
Old 06-25-2019 | 10:50 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Or put the furniture and junk on the flat bed, and the Boxster in the moving van.

Quick Reply: Help! Friend needs to flatbed Boxster behind moving van, need ideas