Notices

Florida Lifestyle and Car Scene...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 02:16 AM
Will Motivation
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Florida Lifestyle and Car Scene...

Taking a page out of cbrett's post related to the California lifestyle, and how many responses that post got, I am hoping that people might have some insight on the best cities in Florida to live. I'm a new forum member. Just got my first 991 - 911 GT3 and so far loving the content and information on the forums.

But anyways, are there any members that live in Florida or are familiar with the cities down there. I want to buy some property there in the next 2 years. Most likely I would like to build a multipurpose residence/office that I can rent out when I'm in Ohio, and then use for work and relaxation when I'm in Florida. I love south Florida because of the tropical weather and access to some great flights out of Miami and Fort Lauderdale, but I want to figure out the best place to possibly relocate to in Florida.

Anyone down there with an opinion on good places to live or stay away from?

I know this is a little off topic but saw the other post was well received, so hoping it's ok to post it here. If not I understand.
Maybe I should title this post, best car scene in Florida?
Old 05-30-2019, 09:12 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Old 05-30-2019, 09:22 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Maybe start by asking anyone lives by any road with a radius of any kind?
Old 05-30-2019, 09:26 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

Mike
you forgot to mention that most of the older people ( those that barely see over the steering wheel) drive with their turn signal on as they eventually are planning on making a turn and perhaps even in the same direction as their turn signal indicates
Old 05-30-2019, 09:59 AM
A/S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 131 Posts

Few factors:

1) Lots of "Out of U.S." tourists driving like they do in the home countries from all continents and matching driving habits

+

2) Lots of immigrants that never drove or had a car in their country of origin, get a FL-DL and off to the road

+

3) Lots of elders not qualified to drive anymore, but allowed to do so because they can

+

4) The growing trend of portable internet/social-media devices taking priority over conducing the car (or 18-wheelers texting/watching videos while tailgating your rear-fragile Porsche)

+

5) South Florida serves alcohol 24 hours a day, mass number of impaired drivers on the road

Some other factors at play (opium, crack, weed addicts and cars, traffic, etc.). I have driven in 45 states in U.S. and without a doubt the worst driving is here in South Florida.

The best Car Scene is static (car shows) and the best Florida Lifestyle doesn't include a car (unless you're on a racetrack, and Sebring is King).

Florida roads are boring, flat, straight, so a Tesla is the car to match the state.\

If you have a GT3, you have Daytona, Homestead, Sebring, Palm Beach Intl Raceway, The FIRM, and the weather allows you to track your car multiple times per week, for all the 52 weeks of the year.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:01 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

LMAO.....great reads
Old 05-30-2019, 10:49 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
Few factors:

1) Lots of "Out of U.S." tourists driving like they do in the home countries from all continents and matching driving habits

+

2) Lots of immigrants that never drove or had a car in their country of origin, get a FL-DL and off to the road

+

3) Lots of elders not qualified to drive anymore, but allowed to do so because they can

+

4) The growing trend of portable internet/social-media devices taking priority over conducing the car (or 18-wheelers texting/watching videos while tailgating your rear-fragile Porsche)

+

5) South Florida serves alcohol 24 hours a day, mass number of impaired drivers on the road

Some other factors at play (opium, crack, weed addicts and cars, traffic, etc.). I have driven in 45 states in U.S. and without a doubt the worst driving is here in South Florida.

The best Car Scene is static (car shows) and the best Florida Lifestyle doesn't include a car (unless you're on a racetrack, and Sebring is King).

Florida roads are boring, flat, straight, so a Tesla is the car to match the state.\

If you have a GT3, you have Daytona, Homestead, Sebring, Palm Beach Intl Raceway, The FIRM, and the weather allows you to track your car multiple times per week, for all the 52 weeks of the year.
Sounds like my neighborhood and I'm in Cincinnati. 🤣🤣🤣
Old 05-30-2019, 11:15 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 267 Posts

dont live there but spend time in MIA and would NOT recommend for any sort of driving there!

subscribed. Lets see how this compares to the CA thread
Old 05-30-2019, 11:39 AM
RLNTL3S

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

I like where this thread is going. I too am considering FL vs CA. Both have their Pro's and Con's.

I asked a Floridian who is a member here if he could live anywhere in FL, where would that be? He said Windermere without a doubt. It is just outside of Orlando.

My plan is to fly to each state (FL and CA) with my wife, rent a car, and drive around for about a week spending a day or more in each location we are considering. Hopefully something stands out and we love it.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:53 AM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 119 Posts

I've lived in CA for 40+ years and considered moving to South Florida once as a water front home is a lot less than a half way decent home here in Socal. But that humidity.... But then I LOVE to fish and Florida has much better fishing than around here. Also like to hear how people compare items such as sales tax on trade-ins, insurance, car registration costs, health care system, State income tax, food variety, gun laws, etc.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:56 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by RLNTL3S
I like where this thread is going. I too am considering FL vs CA. Both have their Pro's and Con's.

I asked a Floridian who is a member here if he could live anywhere in FL, where would that be? He said Windermere without a doubt. It is just outside of Orlando.

My plan is to fly to each state (FL and CA) with my wife, rent a car, and drive around for about a week spending a day or more in each location we are considering. Hopefully something stands out and we love it.
I spent some time in Florida for work. Whatever you do, make sure you do not visit in August. It is brutal. If you do visit in the summer, plan on moving to California.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:02 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Keep in mind there are 2 Florida's...there is coastal Florida and inner state Florida....they differ greatly.
However we have great gun laws, 24hr bars, best beaches, strip clubs galore and a chit hole track named Sebring that somehow is world famous!.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:04 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by robmypro
I spent some time in Florida for work. Whatever you do, make sure you do not visit in August. It is brutal. If you do visit in the summer, plan on moving to California.
Meh, August is nothing...try mid September to late October....Brutal heat, humidity the bugs are full grown and hungry then and hurricanes!
Old 05-30-2019, 12:05 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Meh, August is nothing...try mid September to late October....Brutal heat, humidity the bugs are full grown and hungry then and hurricanes!
Lovely. lol
Old 05-30-2019, 12:41 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 599 Posts

Florida has a lot of diversity and it really depends on what you put as a priority and are willing to trade off.

As some have mentioned, most roads (at least near the coastal regions, run either north/south or east/west. However, areas like Mount Dora have a lot of hills and curves and beautiful country.

Orlando has a lot of culture, but is generally a busy area with a lot of tolls. The crime rate is a bit high, too.

East coast, "Space Coast" where we live, has less traffic congestion and a historically low incidence of hurricane damage, but cooler due to the Atlantic coastline. However, most roads are laid in in a grid fashion.

The west coast has a lot of class and is pretty tourist-driven. The coastline is generally serene due to the long and low slope of the sea bed. You do get nice sunsets off the beach. It seems that the middle west coast gets a lot of thunder storms.

Driving Impressions:

I know that a few here have poked fun at Florida drivers, but the reality is—and my general rule of thumb—anyone with a driver's license in the USA is an idiot until proven otherwise. Statistically, most are idiots and I am rarely disappointed.

People hang in the left lane (despite Florida law) and stay there until they have to exit. Yes, I lived in Ohio and also believe all drivers learn how to dominate the left lane there.

Rain is the equivalent of ice in the north-east. If it rains you will assuredly see at least one car spun off the highway. Backroads are no better. Everyone drives white-knuckles and 10 mph under the limit.

Traffic lights appear to have the longest cycle time of any I have witnessed. Since most have a separate left turn arrow, chances are going to be much less than 50% that it will be green when you arrive. People use the red lights for naps and the lag-time between each car as they start up is akin to a long chain coiled up with 20 foot long links. Despite the long cycle time only between 6 and 10 cars make it through the light before it cycles again.

When it rains here you will find your car is not nearly as dirty as in the north-eastern states. You can drive all year long and my 2004 GT3 was my only car and daily diver for 10 years (I have 135K Florida miles on it now).

At least on the east coast the police do not bother you if you are no more than 10 mph over the limit and not driving badly. 130K miles in my GT3 and no tickets seems to support that. They seem professional and sensible people. The sheriff department is awesome.

Roads generally do not have potholes, but can, over time, develop washboards from heavy truck traffic and heat. They also crack. Most driveways are concrete.

Generally, the further south you go, the hotter it gets. The further from the shore you get, the hotter it gets in summer and the cooler it gets in the winter. The ocean moderates the temperatures near the coast a good bit (we live about 8 miles from the beach).

For example, Jupiter, Florida is an upscale area north of West Palm Beach. It's expensive, but more affluent. North of that is Stuart, a boating community.

There is no state income tax. Food is not all that expensive, nor other consumables like fuel. If you have specific questions about Brevard county, drop me a line. It's not as affluent as Jupiter. It's more technology oriented thanks to NASA. Saint Augustine (historic section) is like a little slice of old Europe.

Quick Reply: Florida Lifestyle and Car Scene...