Porsche's Charge-o-mat versus Ctek

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:54 AM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche's Charge-o-mat versus Ctek

Any advice and/or experience on this ?

I was just about to pull the trigger on Porsche's Tequipment OEM charger (non L-I version) and then thought: wait a minute, that looks like a re-badged CTEK device.

Looked at CTEK's site and saw a much larger range of options. It seems that the MXS 5.0 (and Test version) look solid enough for a garaged car (991.2 base Carrera MY late 2016) that gets a work-out only 3-4 times a month on average (round trips between 50 to 100 miles) and an annual 3000 mile roundtrip to Austria/N.Italy. CTEK's CT5 'Time to Go' just looks pretty much the same thing but with added idiot's guide: 'Yes, there's a green light which means you can now drive it'....but I might be wrong.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:29 PM
Lugs H
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A few years ago I purchased a Ctek 3300 for $71 on amazon. Same one but with a Porsche badge on it $127 at a dealer.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:33 PM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

That makes sense. Looks like the best bet is get a CTEK via Amazon etc..
Old 12-04-2018, 06:59 PM
rjg7
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a brand new latest version Porsche Charge-O-Mat but i can’t use it because my 2018 Panamera apparently turns the cigarette lighter off after 30 seconds. So i don’t know where to plug this thing into. I definitely don’t want to have to open the hood and plug to battery every night. Any thoughts?
Old 12-05-2018, 10:05 AM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Originally Posted by rjg7
I have a brand new latest version Porsche Charge-O-Mat but i can’t use it because my 2018 Panamera apparently turns the cigarette lighter off after 30 seconds. So i don’t know where to plug this thing into. I definitely don’t want to have to open the hood and plug to battery every night. Any thoughts?
I am not 100% sure I understand your problem here, ol' chap. Are you saying you want the power source or 'input' into your Porsche Charge-O-Mat (COM) to be your Panamera's cigarette lighter and then connect the COM to the car's battery ? I'm misunderstanding you, aren't I ? If that is the case, however, then there's obviously no 'external' power source outside the vehicle to top-up the battery: it's just circular. Plus, of course, as you say, the car will disconnect power to the cigarette lighter if the engine is not running - car locked or otherwise.

What has struck me, though (as pretty much all vehicles move into a world of 48V hybridity as a bare minimum) manufacturers should begin to consider integrating an external plug into the vehicle's bodywork so people like you and me can 'comfort-plug' a power source from our garages or driveways to ensure - particularly if we don't use our cars regularly/short runs etc. - we don't have to leave hoods semi-open or have external mounted COMs or CTEKs trailing around. So many people are waking up to the fact that the draw on batteries by modern cars is so immense , they want to leave their cars on 'top-up' when they're at home and - at the moment - it's all a bit of jungle of trailing cables and non-IP65 rated devices.

Quick Reply: Porsche's Charge-o-mat versus Ctek