Notices

Question - Shoulder injury and manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 02:59 PM
ddhleigh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question - Shoulder injury and manual

This question goes to all of you that have suffered a shoulder injury / frozen shoulder. Were you able to ever shift normally after recovery? Did you have to swap to an auto because of the injury?
Old 04-25-2018, 03:33 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Which shoulder and how bad? Broke my left shoulder in 2001. Drive a GT4 now, no problem. But for a few years until a second surgery and total shoulder, couldn't reach forward with left hand to grab the wheel. Would have opted for PDK back then.

Mike
Old 04-25-2018, 03:58 PM
ddhleigh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DoxCroc
Which shoulder and how bad? Broke my left shoulder in 2001. Drive a GT4 now, no problem. But for a few years until a second surgery and total shoulder, couldn't reach forward with left hand to grab the wheel. Would have opted for PDK back then.

Mike
Right shoulder. Currently unable to even lift my arm past the halfway mark. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 04-28-2018, 11:09 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 668 Posts

Sounds like a good motivation for therapy and recovery.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:00 AM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Had a 80% detachment of labrum and tear of torn rotator cuff surgically repaired (right shoulder), to include 3 screws holding it all down. That was after the fractured forearm healed, they wanted that to happen first. Couldn't drive the manual for quite a while, but no issues now. It did limit my ability to reach behind me, sometimes have difficulty grabbing for stuff in the rear seats.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a separated right shoulder. Seemingly mild compared to others, but they doc did tell me to stop driving a manual while it healed. Healing meaning: don't move your arm for a month and go through physical therapy afterward. It probably took a good year before all the pain in my shoulder went away, but I was back to driving a manual transmission within a couple months. No issues now (10 years later).
Old 05-06-2018, 09:30 AM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Shoulder problems vary quite a bit. However, with proper treatment and time (over 6 months in many cases) you should be able to drive a manual again. However, driving it while you are healing if it's causing you pain could be delaying your recovery.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:39 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Closertotruth
Shoulder problems vary quite a bit. However, with proper treatment and time (over 6 months in many cases) you should be able to drive a manual again. However, driving it while you are healing if it's causing you pain could be delaying your recovery.
Partially agree here. Vast majority of patients with true frozen shoulder (aka adhesive capsulitis) will regain most/all ROM with proper therapy and a home stretching program. As I tell all my patients, most will get better, but it won't happen in a day, a week or even a month. Many will start seeing some improvement in 6-8 weeks, but the full recovery process can take 6-12 months. As for driving, I don't think that will necessarily delay your recovery. You need to move/stretch the shoulder as often as possible. If driving accomplishes that to some degree, I don't see a problem with it. Now if you're so impaired as to affect your ability to safely drive a car....that's a different story.

Quick Reply: Question - Shoulder injury and manual