Notices

Is ADM corruption by Porsche NA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 01:46 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

This marks the nadir of the value/price threads. Meanwhile, he supports his friend in the classifieds who's flipping his GT3 at $15K over.

Last edited by ChicagoWhale; 04-05-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-05-2018, 02:29 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price.

As others have said, it would be corrupt (currently) to dictate what price a dealer must sell a car. Sure, dealerships in general are a shady thing to begin with (why can't you buy direct from the factory?), but such is life. If I was a dealer, and people are willing to pay $30K ADM, you bet I'm that's how much I'm going to charge. I can sell it for MSRP now, or I can wait a month and make $30K. Guess what I'm going to do. Same with flipping cars. Everyone hates them, until you have a car worth double/triple. Most people are going to end up selling.

If you want the car bad enough, you'll pay for it. I paid a ridiculous ADM, but in the end I'm happy that I got my dream car.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:04 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,964 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
This marks the nadir of the value/price threads. Meanwhile, he supports his friend in the classifieds who's flipping his GT3 at $15K over.
Yes this thread proves my point that you can title a thread almost ANYTHING and make it into a value/ADM thread.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:14 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 512 Posts

Her's a question for the OP:

Would you accept that you have to buy every car from any brand at msrp only?
Meaning you don't get charged ADM on the low volume/high demand cars, but you have to pay full sticker on a Silverado.
Because you can't have it both ways, and negotiate down when it suits you and call it corruption when the dealer does it through ADM
It's either let the market work itself out or pass a law that says everything is msrp.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:43 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Name:  photo566.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  616.1 KB
Old 04-05-2018, 03:45 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Quite the opposite. Corruption and against the law would be dictating what price they can charge.

The S in MSRP stands for "suggested".
Well over 90% of all new cars are probably sold for under MSRP.
Don't like a dealer or brand? Walk away and spend your $$ elsewhere. What many are doing.
Thank you, excellent points.
Perhaps Manipulation may be a more accurate term.

During my GT4 purchase/997.2 GT3 Trade-In, I had a verbal agreement for a 991.2 GT3 with SA/GM. I also promised my GT4 in trade back. Fast Forward, 3 GM/SA changes in under 2 years and nobody at the dealership was present at prior agreement. Reaching Out to new GM, I get put back on the list. Fast Forward a few months and One more GM change yields that I am off the list, no interest in GT4 Trade In.

I gave up and went out and got my allocation on the secondary market

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Yes this thread proves my point that you can title a thread almost ANYTHING and make it into a value/ADM thread.
That's a great point, substantiated by the number of 3 month old GT3s that are for sale.

I'll throw it back at you - are these cars being owned by drivers or for the financial aspect?
Old 04-05-2018, 03:53 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
During my GT4 purchase/997.2 GT3 Trade-In, I had a verbal agreement for a 991.2 GT3 with SA/GM. I also promised my GT4 in trade back. Fast Forward, 3 GM/SA changes in under 2 years and nobody at the dealership was present at prior agreement. Reaching Out to new GM, I get put back on the list. Fast Forward a few months and One more GM change yields that I am off the list, no interest in GT4 Trade In.

I gave up and went out and got my allocation on the secondary market.
So no CYA on your part to get something in writing and now you go off the deep end. Again without thinking through all the permutations. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to fail again and again.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:11 PM
Captain Scurry
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

USA=free market economy (for the most part)

If I was a dealer, I would maximize my profits. Like any business, there can be only so much goodwill. Who do you think is paying for most of the multi-million dollar upgrades/rennovations/new construction in regards to Porsche dealerships accross the country?
Old 04-05-2018, 05:43 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
So no CYA on your part to get something in writing and now you go off the deep end. Again without thinking through all the permutations. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to fail again and again.
No problem, when you buy on the secondary market, there is no sales tax in AZ, so that saved me $18k and I get to spec the GT3 the way I want.

Bottom line, who needs a dealer that does not reciprocate and honor their word? No sour grapes, pure numbers in business. I'll have 3 GT cars in one garage and they missed out on 3 future trade ins. Not my fail... !
Old 04-05-2018, 06:07 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
No problem, when you buy on the secondary market, there is no sales tax in AZ, so that saved me $18k and I get to spec the GT3 the way I want.
BS

If you buy the car on the secondary market, i.e. used, you don't get to spec it the way you want it. You have to take it how its configured; with a give and take on colors and options. And if your idea of secondary market is buying through a broker then you are most likely paying ADM and with your posted statement you are trying to convince others that its used in order to avoid your State's salestax.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:50 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
BS
If you buy the car on the secondary market, i.e. used, you don't get to spec it the way you want it. You have to take it how its configured; with a give and take on colors and options. And if your idea of secondary market is buying through a broker then you are most likely paying ADM and with your posted statement you are trying to convince others that its used in order to avoid your State's salestax.
Your premise is flawed, I have the commission number and the tax savings offsets much of the ADM.
While I do feel manipulated by the ADM, I still pay a bit of it
As my accountant says, "it is not how much money you make, but how much you keep"
Old 04-06-2018, 01:36 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 72 Posts

Don’t believe Ferrari dealers are allowed to charge ADM. if they do, they lose allocations. However, dealers make up for it in different ways.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:15 AM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Like saying you have to buy two to three other f cars before you can buy the one you want.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:46 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick
Don’t believe Ferrari dealers are allowed to charge ADM. if they do, they lose allocations. However, dealers make up for it in different ways.
You have revealed the root of the flipping disease, Ferrari Dealers are limited to selling New at MSRP and I believe there are advertizing limits on new cars (I believe no advertizing is permitted but need to double check if still current). The way they have gotten around this is "New sales at MSRP" is to have their good customers buy/spec a car, and upon receipt flip it back to dealer for more than MSRP on highly desired models. Clearly the dealer makes out best in this situation, which is how it probably arose.

Bottom line: Dealer makes profit twice (at least), Dealer gets inventory increase and Good Customers are ingratiated and have the latest car flipped for no loss
Old 04-07-2018, 12:03 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 576 Posts

Or, states could change their laws allowing direct manufacturer sales to customers, something Tesla has struggled with. Whether or not you believe manufacturers would be better/more honest than dealers, the current legal status is a type example of crony capitalism.

Quick Reply: Is ADM corruption by Porsche NA?