What about the Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 11:18 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally posted by Cloud964
Did you see 928 winning in road races or autocross ? Its not designed to be for that.
This past fall, with me behind the wheel. Next fastest car in my class was a Honda S2000 with much better tires.

If you check the PCA log for Road America, you'll find Mark Anderson's 928 running in the top 6. This group included the Kelly Moss and Racers Group GT3's. No Boxster even came close, or even fast enough for that class.

I was with you at first about the vague definition of what a sports car is and how the 928 fits into that category. But to say they are not good track cars is very ignorant.

Last edited by hacker-pschorr; 12-26-2003 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:57 PM
Cloud964
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not designed to be a sports car . It is a Grand touring auto. Of course you can mod the cayanne to make it competitive and may even earn one of the top 6 spot, but thats not the point. When porsche built the 928, the 911 and the boxster , they all served a different purpose, not better or worse. When people argue that my 928 is better than your 911, boxster is feminine.. blah blah blah.. its where the ignorance is.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:06 AM
Jim Nowak
Drifting

"Its not designed to be a sports car"

DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND - THE 928 WAS BUILT TO REPLACE THE 911. However, the 928 didn't meet the definition of Porsche at the time "air cooled mentality" so they kept the 911. Had the buying public liked the design - the 911 may not be here today.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:11 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a touchy crowd. I am not saying the 928 is a bad car, just not a sports car.
And I'm not saying that you are an idiot, just an ignorant person with stupid arguments based on magazine reports.

It was never intended to be. Did you see 928 winning in road races or autocross ?
Yes and yes.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:27 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Its not designed to be a sports car . It is a Grand touring auto. Of course you can mod the cayanne to make it competitive and may even earn one of the top 6 spot, but thats not the point. When porsche built the 928, the 911 and the boxster , they all served a different purpose, not better or worse. When people argue that my 928 is better than your 911, boxster is feminine.. blah blah blah.. its where the ignorance is.
My 1981 is 100% stock except for the wheels with 90,000 miles. I don't have any problems beating newer "sports cars" at auto crosses. Some of the other 928's in those photos (and others I was unable to shoot) are mostly stock except for safety features.

I agree that the 928 is more of a GT than a pure sports car. But not a good race car? Get real.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:28 PM
SHRKBIT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Jeepers, it must be winter. Go outside and play, you guys!

Originally posted by Jim Nowak
[B]Please, no offense intended here but to me the Boxster is a chick car as is the Miata, MR2, new VW bug or any of the newer VW cabriolets, BMW Z3 & Z4, ETC. I can't help it but everytime I see one of these going down the road it makes me chuckle when I see a guy driving. I don't know why but the design just looks very feminine to me.
And here you are, Jim--driving the dentist's wife's car. Or has no one told you?

Curt
'86.5 928 S, 287 rwhp slalom ****
'91 928 GT, 171 mph grocery getter
Old 12-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Tour18
Banned

I have to agree with you about the gender issue when it comes to the Boxster. I don't know if the Boxster design is feminine. It certainly isn't masculine in appearance.

Let me express an observation. In the 993TT, you are conscious of what you are driving at all times. All times. In the Z06 it is the same. In my 993 C2 it was the same.

In the Boxster, you just kind of forget what you are driving. But boy oh boy, did my wife take to the Boxster! And her friends... You would think they designed it just with them in mind...

And in all honesty, if I am making a store run, it's either the Boxster or the Expedition. The 400 hp cars are for business only... hehehe...
Old 12-27-2003, 10:48 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't see how you can bash a car that handles better than a 911, $30k cheaper and is detuned so that it won't steal sales away from the expensive 911. 928 owners bashing looks can expect people to bash their OLD, OBSOLETE cars from other owners.. so why bother bashing? I thought people here "get it".. from Boxsters to 928s to 911s?
Old 12-28-2003, 02:45 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by KJM3SMG
I don't see how you can bash a car that handles better than a 911, $30k cheaper and is detuned so that it won't steal sales away from the expensive 911.
When did this turn into a thread about 944 Turbo's?
Old 12-28-2003, 03:36 AM
Normy
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just think the Boxster is a bit "Vanilla"- and the one that I drove wasn't anywhere near as fast as my 928!

-I think it is silly to call a certain car a "girl's" car and I want you all to stop . First of all, I'm never politically correct- I say what I think. But the term "girl's" car implies that you are stereotyping women- something that is illogical! Women are far more variant than men, so you can never tell what kind of silly little conveyance.....or supercar that they might chose to drive... And by the way, one of my favorite cars of all time is a VW Rabbit/Golf convertible, which most males that I have talked German cars to seem to think is "chick/queer only".

The fact that a car is a Porsche doesn't necessarily mean that I need to like it. I don't care for the Cayenne, despite the fact that this is actually a nice vehicle, and is cheap. Boxsters are a car for a person who wants to own a Porsche, but knows and probably cares less for things automotive....

But their sale allows us to enjoy the toys that we have!

-I've always said that Porsche needs to do something off the Golf chassis. I think they shy away purposely simply because they don't feel like lowering themselves to the level of a common car. Well, tonight I went to downtown Orlando- I saw a big group of American cars parked at a gas station. I stopped and talked to the 20 year olds for a few minutes..

LET me tell you, a V8 Porsche was a revelation to these boys! They were all over the car, looking at everything, and ooohing and ahhhing over the engine. One kid produced a digital camera and started taking pictures!

-THOSE kids had the right idea. You could show up in a Ford pickup truck- they didn't care, but if it ran 11 second quarter mile times...they'd love it! Tonight, my Porsche symbol got plenty of attention... since it was real [yes, I added legitimacy to the whole proceding. Trust me, these were nice kids- they deserved it.] And I also showed them what Porsche's are all about- having fun. More than one lineless face registered the fact that despite the pretentious name...this one not only went fast, but it made V8 noises and it's owner was reachable-

Normy!
'85 S2 5 Speed

Last edited by Normy; 12-28-2003 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:10 AM
OahuJames
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Chick Cars

Ever since I saw the pink leapord print license plate holder on a black Boxter with a blonde driving, I have pretty much ignored all things Boxter. Yes, it is still a Porsche... but ....

I had a chance to drive a Boxter S the other day. Pretty nice. As the driver, you feel the power, the handling ...

Unfortunitely for the Boxter, the next day I got to drive a yellow '89 slant nose with 28,000 original miles. It snapped me back to the reason I love Porsches ...

There is a lot more to the experience of being a Porsche owner than just an emblem on the hood.

Sure, many people have no clue that my 928 is even a Porsche or even what type of engine is under the hood. I know and I care.

Feels amazing pressing down on the gas when hitting a highway on-ramp.

What a feeling.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:29 AM
Jim Nowak
Drifting

"-I think it is silly to call a certain car a "girl's" car and I want you all to stop . First of all, I'm never politically correct- I say what I think. But the term "girl's" car implies that you are stereotyping women- something that is illogical! Women are far more variant than men, so you can never tell what kind of silly little conveyance.....or supercar that they might chose to drive... And by the way, one of my favorite cars of all time is a VW Rabbit/Golf convertible, which most males that I have talked German cars to seem to think is "chick/queer only"."

OK, Normy, if you say to stop......I'll stop. Get real!

"But their sale allows us to enjoy the toys that we have!"

How in the hell does a Cayenne have anything with my 928? It doesn't! You are rambling aimlessly.

"-I've always said that Porsche needs to do something off the Golf chassis."

Normy, does your airline do drug screenings? The Golf chassis? Come on man!
Old 12-28-2003, 05:52 AM
Jim Nowak
Drifting

Some more light on the "chick car" definition:

http://www.racerchicks.com/auto/chickcars.html

http://www.cathygirl.com/articles/car0001.html

http://cartalk.cars.com/About/Guy-Ch...s/letters.html

http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/bimmer/2002/08/demers.asp
Old 12-28-2003, 09:45 AM
Normy
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They make me pee in a cup all the time Jim. I just think that if they [Porsche] want to reach the mass market, then they should do something that fits their niche better. European Car magazine is full of articles about Golf's that have been made to handle and go just as well if not better than our 928's-

The Boxster is just not a low- end product at $50k.

N!
Old 12-28-2003, 02:53 PM
Jim Nowak
Drifting

Normy,

A Volkswagen is for everyone a Porsche is not. Porsche would lose the exclusivity factor if they brought something like that back and greatly risk their future customer base. If everyone could drive a Porsche, why would I. A Corvette is cheaper. I'm not a snob by any means but the exclusivity of a Porsche and its aura are parts of the ownership picture - take that away and you have a Volkswagen or Chevy. You can make alot of cars do things they were not intended to do but lets get real and not bring in the Golf platform.....that is blasphemy.

Quick Reply: What about the Boxster?