Notices

Chances of a test drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 05:26 PM
Cytokine23
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chances of a test drive

Hello all, long time lurker of this forum and dreamer hoping to own a 911 one day. I'm currently in my first year of med school but I really do hope to buy a 911 one day. Honestly, I'm obsessed with the 991.2 GTS, I think it is a perfect example of what a driver's car should be. Whatever 911 is out by the time I finish residency, in ten years of course, will probably be my first purchase. I'm a huge Porsche and car buff, it's what gets me excited. I've also recently started autocross in my Focus ST, which is a blast.

Anyway that's an introduction to my question. I really like going to dealerships and test driving cars, talking about them to knowledgeable salesmen, and overall just hanging out in a dealership. It's a stress reliever. My wife comes along and we make a date out of it for my sake. Is it a good idea to try to do something like this at a Porsche dealer? I'm very interested in the cars, but I obviously can't afford one, nor do I want to waste someone's time. But I have Thanksgiving break coming up and there is a dealership about an hour away. I just want to hang out, talk cars, sit in a 911 and see the different options, and maybe just maybe if they say yes, test drive one.

I have been building my perfect 911 on the Porsche website and while that does satisfy an itch, I've realized that I don't even know what a leather or alcantara interior looks like. And I want to know. Is visiting a dealer for this a scummy thing to do? I do want to be honest with the salesman so I won't lie about having the means to buy a Porsche but I also don't want to waste my time and drag my wife to a dealer over an hour away.

Thoughts?
Old 11-17-2017, 06:45 PM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

In all likelihood, if you say you're not going to buy, they're probably not going to let you test drive one. They would probably let you sit in one and all that, but not actually drive it. You may have better luck if you go on a weekday though. If they're busy, then yes it''s a mildly scummy thing to do, but if they're not, I don't really see a problem. Granted, that is with most car salesmen that only care about the sale. If you come across a salesman who actually has a passion for cars (unfortunately those seem to be dwindling in numbers these days), I'd say your chances are much higher, and the salesman would probably enjoy talking cars for a little bit. Just my $0.02.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:15 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

I suggest an honest approach. Tell them you in med school (and a likely future customer) with dreams of a 911, and that you would (1) like to learn more and (2) like a test drive, so your plans (dreams) for the future can be more real.

And like any approach to a dealer, making an appointment before you go is likely to turn out better.
The following users liked this post:
ldamelio (08-05-2022)
Old 11-18-2017, 03:48 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

This doesn't apply everywhere, but most of them I have found, when you show real interest in the cars they enjoy talking to you. This goes back to my first experience as a teenager in high school when a friend dragged me along. Not that I wasn't interested, but more like you, afraid of not being taken seriously, or even given the time of day. Instead they were fine and left us alone to pore over the cars in the showroom, even when we got down on our backs on the floor to check out the undersides. Yes, really. This is all so that decades later when they make a video about a kid in the classroom daydreaming and riding his bicycle to the Porsche dealer and they let him sit in the car you are all what? Just something in my eye.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:30 PM
Cytokine23
3rd Gear

You guys are great. I think I'm going to go during my break and just be honest with whomever I run into. Yea a test drive in a 911 is for sure a reach but I really do want the experience more than anything else. Plus I want to see what the options actually and what they do so t should be a good time regardless! One day I will own one
Old 11-27-2017, 11:48 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to the dealer if that is what you enjoy. Where are you? With such enthusiasm at a relatively young age, you are welcome to drive mine. RJ
Old 11-28-2017, 10:16 AM
Cytokine23
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ
Go to the dealer if that is what you enjoy. Where are you? With such enthusiasm at a relatively young age, you are welcome to drive mine. RJ
Oh man I would love that, thank you for offering! But I am in MA and it appears you are in Cali. One day soon I'll be able to go, Thanksgiving did not work out sadly
Old 07-19-2022, 10:01 AM
rgoldm2
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I have also had many 500+ up cars. Alfa Quad, hellcat, etc. the base is more than enough. I currently have a 991.2 base and am awaiting a 992 base. I’ve driven some of the others and for my needs, it’s not that much different. I did notice a difference after driving a gts and going back to my car. After a few days, I forgot and am back to this is enough for me. I do also track it occasionally and it’s still been the best car I’ve tracked yet.

My new order is a base because wait time is less, adm is lower, and overall cost is lower. I know it won’t matter much overall (for me at least).
McLaren997 (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 05:59 PM
othertbone
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 205 Posts

Go to the dealership and tell them the truth.

You will most likely be able to spend all the time you want there looking and sitting in all the cars in the showroom, but no SA will want to spend more than a couple minutes with you to point you in the right direction. They have paying customers to take care of and are waiting for the next real prospect to walk through the door. Sorry but you asked
Old 07-22-2022, 08:55 PM
JimEb
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Wasn't until I was in my 40's before I ever even got within 20ft of a 911. Ran into an extremely generous guy with a 2012 C2S at a car show. He offered to let me drive it, but seemed awkward so I accepted just going for a ride. Getting in a car with a stranger isn't something I normally do and this guy almost killed me...124mph down a service road, drifting through a roundabout, etc. Wasn't until he started crossing the centerline into oncoming traffic while fumbling with the buttons demoing PSE, PASM, etc that I took him up on his offer to let me drive. That was mostly in the interest of self preservation. I drove back normally all the while he's prodding me, "Come on...you gotta kick'r down".

Of course that sealed the deal for me. I had to get one. When actively shopping my local Porsche dealer only had one 911 in inventory...a used C4S. Must have looked too much like a peasant as he wouldn't even unlock the car for me. Eventually found a different car at another dealership. They gave me full access and let me test drive...so I bought it.

The following 2 users liked this post by JimEb:
DarienA (07-24-2022), enlico (07-25-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 11:41 PM
Il Brutto
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Cytokine23
...currently in my first year of med school but I really do hope to buy a 911 one day...
Thoughts?
Hey, (future) doc! You could rent one and drive it for couple days to see if you like or not.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:39 AM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Hey, it's been 5 years. OP should be in residency. Updates?!
Old 07-31-2022, 10:42 AM
Thor's
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Il Brutto
Hey, (future) doc! You could rent one and drive it for couple days to see if you like or not.
Exactly… since he lives in MA, there should be a 911 out there on Turo in his area. He posted back in 2017 so a previous poster is right. He should be in residency at this point. Hope he made it… that’s a $hit load of schooling and dedication.
DarienA (08-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Chances of a test drive