Notices

Rennlist Warehouse - Porsche Driver Collection - Is this a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 08:13 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Rennlist Warehouse - Porsche Driver Collection - Is this a good idea?

In a recent thread I was shooting off the cuff and put out what at first seemed like a silly idea:

How cool would it be to have a Rennlist warehouse, for a small fee you could drive any 911 model made.

The more I thought about it, the cooler the idea sounded and now I'm having trouble letting it go.

I had to refine it a little to make it realistic and this is what I came up with. Back of the envelope calculations, if we got 200 people to join the club and become members with an entry fee of $3k and an annual fee of $500 we'd be able to put together a pretty interesting garage.

The assumption is that we'd look for driver-quality cars. These are to be driven and enjoyed, not garage queens to look at. We could buy 8 cars with an average price of $50k and then we'd have 200k left over to purchase a garage to keep them in. We'd also have 12.5k annually per car for insurance, maintenance and taxes for the car and garage.

An average cost of $50k would allow for some pretty cool cars, for instance:
- 911 SC Targa (30k): Sunny weather cruiser
- 911 Carrera (40k): Classic coupe
- 964 (45k): Lightweight build for track and canyons
- 993 (45k): Updated suspension, 18" wheels
- 996 GT3 (60k): Track monster
- 996 Turbo (40k): Gotta have a turbo
- 997 C4S (50k): Especially for winter and low traction days
- Boxster (20k): Not a 911 but would be the only roadster/convertible

This is just an example, the members could vote and pick what the line up should be and tee up what new cars to get as the membership grows.

With 200 members, the cost is reasonable and everyone has 2 weeks of use, so plenty of ways to have fun on the track or on the street. We could use a calendaring solution to reserve blocks of time.

We could offer credits back to members who can perform maintenance on the cars themselves and we could offer classes for those who want to learn.

I imagine this as a non-profit with the mission of kindling and sustaining a passion for Porsche sports cars and the analog driving experience in general. Could outreach to charities like make-a-wish or others to help others experience what these cars have to offer.

There was some discussion about location. SLC came up as a nice central location with airport access, mountain roads and a good track. Also has Las Vegas and the desert country within easy reach.

Apparently fractional exotics are already a thing but they are expensive. This would be quite a bit cheaper and with a focus on older Porsche's due to the joy of driving them, their relatively cheap maintenance expenses and overall robustness that allows them to last for a very long time. The guy with the 725k mile turbo comes to mind...

So what do you guys think?
Is it a good idea?
Would you be interested?
Do the financials make sense?
Is there a better car lineup? If so, include pictures since who doesn't love looking at pictures of Porsches and imagining driving them.
What do you think would be the best location?

Maybe this is just a harebrained idea, but whenever I imagine 8 (or more) cool cars available for me to drive, take to the track, wrench on and generally have in my life I get pretty excited!

Last edited by Tlaloc75; 08-13-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:35 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

You mean like this:
http://www.fasttoysclub.com/

proves it's a good idea
Old 08-11-2017, 11:08 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by IainM
You mean like this:
http://www.fasttoysclub.com/

proves it's a good idea
Yeah, this is one of the fractional exotic clubs that I mentioned in my post. Difference with this one is that it would be:
- Older(ish) Porsche only
- A lot cheaper, because they are older driver-quality cars and because Porsches are uniquely robust
- Non profit and with a mission of spreading the Porsche passion

I wish it already existed, but I can't find it so maybe we can make it happen?
Old 08-12-2017, 12:02 AM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Even though I personally can't join the club, I think it is a really cool idea! I especially like the idea of helping others learn to work on them.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:02 AM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

"Any more than 2 people is a group" not easy to manage and when you factor in time to travel and accommodations to SLC....does not appear feasible for anyone living outside the city
Old 08-12-2017, 12:59 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by soundbehindyou
"Any more than 2 people is a group" not easy to manage and when you factor in time to travel and accommodations to SLC....does not appear feasible for anyone living outside the city
I hear you on the management aspect, that would have to be given some thought. If it can work for a flying club, with light airplanes, or fractional exotics, it could work for this. Just need to design it well.

As far as location, yeah it would have to be located somewhere. SLC is just one idea, could be somewhere else. Regardless, there would be additional expenses for people not in that area. I think it would be worth it to me, in order to get to experience all of these cars on a regular basis. Maybe would be for others as well?
Old 08-13-2017, 12:11 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

What do you think of Seattle as the location?

Drivable weather year round, a couple tracks close by, lots of local cars in good shape to choose from.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:46 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
What do you think of Seattle as the location?

Drivable weather year round, a couple tracks close by, lots of local cars in good shape to choose from.
Sounds good to me!
Old 08-13-2017, 01:23 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

I don't think 12k is eniugh for the annual expenses.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:54 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I don't think 12k is eniugh for the annual expenses.
What do you think is the right number per car?

To me 12.5k seems like enough, it's more than I need for my car on an annualized basis for instance. But it does have to cover each car's share of the garage costs as well.

Thoughts?
Old 08-13-2017, 02:09 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Since your are looking at older cars, it is very easy to have at least 1k per year.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:23 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Since your are looking at older cars, it is very easy to have at least 1k per year.
I'm suggesting 12.5k per car, so 100k per year for all 8. This scales up and down depending on how many members there are. For every 25 members you can acquire another car in the collection.

Make more sense?
Old 08-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Suggestion from another thread: Name should be The RennHaus.

I like it!
Old 08-13-2017, 06:17 PM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Love the potential name!
Old 08-13-2017, 07:05 PM
zx5go
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have time factored in for the maintenance? It looks like your numbers have all the cars available 100% of the time. You may want to look at one "spare" car. Also, will there be a lottery for time windows? You'll naturally have times of the year that are more/less desirable.

You have track cars in the list and mention a location with tracks near by. You would have to have insurance to cover those excursions. It would also really drive up maintenance. Won't that be cost prohibitive? I'd say to keep cost down you'd be better off to go with an "absolutely no track use allowed" clause or have an add-on cost to members planning a track day.

It seems like you need to factor in some money for management as well.

I'd add some modern cars also.

Quick Reply: Rennlist Warehouse - Porsche Driver Collection - Is this a good idea?