For Sale Ads - (Member to Member FS/WTB/Free)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Silver Rocket
Mark this thread as Unsold

WTB: WTB: Paint Thickness Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011 | 02:32 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Default WTB: Paint Thickness Gauge

As I play around with paint correction on my P-car, I'd like to have an idea of what I am working with; so, would like to purchase an electronic paint thickness gauge at a resonable price. Does someone have one that they no longer need?
Old 07-26-2011 | 04:24 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Contact Mark in Baltimore. I think he carries one around in a holster.

Andreas
Old 07-26-2011 | 08:49 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Contact Mark in Baltimore. I think he carries one around in a holster.

Andreas
I think a picture would help, Mark is the last one on the left. He's actually holding the paint meter in his hand in this photo. I believe it was an East Coast RL group photo.

uh, looks like the RL'er on the right, in the black leather outfit, has a paint meter in his pocket too. Heeey, wait a minute, that's no paint meter
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2011 | 11:13 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

I must be getting to old. Somehow, I'm missing the humor in the replies to my question. Gives meaning to the phrase that I guess I don't understand the younger generation. But, then again, humor is always at the expense of someone, right?
Old 07-26-2011 | 11:22 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Ernie,
I no longer count myself as part of the younger crowd.

Regardless of the humor, I did indicate that you should try to contact Mark. He has one of these gauges and would be happy to help you.

Sorry for the less-than serious response.

Andreas
Old 07-27-2011 | 06:25 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by earossi
I must be getting to old. Somehow, I'm missing the humor in the replies to my question. Gives meaning to the phrase that I guess I don't understand the younger generation. But, then again, humor is always at the expense of someone, right?
Ernie-no younger generation here..50 today as a matter of fact. When Andreas replied, that image immediately came to mind. I simply couldn't resist posting a photo.

Certainly it isn't unusual that any thread here on RL get waaaay off track. There is usually a bit of useful advice/info buried in the tom foolery somewhere.

Good luck with your "metering" needs, sorry for the sidetrack.
Old 07-27-2011 | 08:27 AM
paa502
Pro

Originally Posted by earossi
I am quite old however was able to discern the levity in the responses. And found them very amusing.

Just as an FYI, it appears meters are available on Ebay for around $100.00. Wish I could help more. Best to you Ernie. Nice history of p-cars btw.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NIB-D...motiveQ5fTools
Old 07-27-2011 | 08:36 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Every once in a blue moon they come up for sale used over on the forums at Autopia. Most people I know that have them buy them and use them religiously.

I'm actually in the market as the one I was using got damaged due to my own stupidity. I've used the low end meters and really don't care for them. I find no consistancy in the readings when they even decide to work at all.

The line from Defelsko is really top notch and what I will be picking up very soon. Phil from Detailers Domain carries this line.

Andy
Old 07-27-2011 | 01:51 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Ernie,
I no longer count myself as part of the younger crowd.

Regardless of the humor, I did indicate that you should try to contact Mark. He has one of these gauges and would be happy to help you.

Sorry for the less-than serious response.

Andreas

Andreas,

Thanks for the reply. Apologise for my "denseness" but couldn't decide if you guys were having fun with me or not. Now that I think of it, I have seen your postings before when you are kidding around with someone.
Old 07-27-2011 | 01:56 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paa502
I am quite old however was able to discern the levity in the responses. And found them very amusing.

Just as an FYI, it appears meters are available on Ebay for around $100.00. Wish I could help more. Best to you Ernie. Nice history of p-cars btw.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NIB-D...motiveQ5fTools

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I have had a few of these toys. Have always done my own wrenching but always stayed away from the cosmetics since I did not have the skill sets to do body or paint work. I still don't, but find in my retirement years, that I enjoy "minor" cosmetic restoration, such as repairing rock chips or minor scratches to paint when it suddenly dawned on me that sanding on paint is ok, but I did not know how much paint was there! That prompted my ad to get a thickness meter.
Old 07-27-2011 | 02:21 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

http://www.eastwood.com/pro-gauge-ii...ess-gauge.html

not exactly what you want, but an option

Quick Reply: WTB: WTB: Paint Thickness Gauge