For Sale Ads - (Member to Member FS/WTB/Free)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Silver Rocket
Mark this thread as Unsold

For Sale: 1991 BMW 325IX Rennlist price: $4300

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 04:58 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts
Default 1991 BMW 325IX Rennlist price: $4300

With a new Infiniti on the way I must sell my 1991 BMW 325IX AWD. Its diamond schwartz on tan leather. I bought it for $3300 in May of last year knowing I was gonna do the 120K service, belts/pumps etc so I got a firesale price for it and have since put over $3200 into the car. Most of it preventive. I know Im going to take a bath on it, but my loss is someones gain.

I'll be as forthright as I can on this pooch so there are no secrets.

Chris Rieman
chris@udpride.com
Cell: 937-361-4630

NITTY GRITTY:
Sell to Rennlister for $4300, otherwise $4900.
132,000 miles
Diamond Schwartz on Tan leather
Automatic
Power windows, locks, mirrors, moonroof, fogs, cruise, *** warmers

Second owner car. I bought it from a used car lot in Cincinnati that takes in trades from the Acura dealership across the street. An older couple traded it in on a new Acura TSX. I have the manuals and both sets of keys for it.

THINGS DONE SINCE IVE HAD IT:
- Performed 60,000 mile service (at 121,000 miles as soon as I got it)
- Replaced shocks and components on all four corners
- Replace thermostat/sender unit
- Replaced timing belt/water pump
- Added ASA 16" silver mesh rims with Bridgestone G009s (less than 10K on em)
- Added embroidered "325IX" floor mats
- Routine oil changes w/Castrol GTX High Mileage
- Something else was replaced, cant remember but will look at receipts
- PIAA silicone wipers (dont laugh, these really work)

THE GOOD
The car has been as reliable as an ox. Never not started right up. Never left me stranded. I drive it every day. All the money invested has been to take care of things before Im left to dry on some lonely stretch of road. I wouldnt hesitate in the slightest to take it to across the country and back.

A/C blows ice cold and remains R-12. I have declined to get it converted to 134A because it still works great and I was afraid the conversion would yield hotter temps.

A trick Ive learned in the summer though is the dash is black and it will retain and radiate heat like a **** on a hot day. Makes cooling the car more difficult and makes it seem like the A/C aint working hard enough. I cover the dash up with window sun visor and that makes all the difference.

Car doesnt leak anything.

Interior is practically like brand new. The dash is absolutely perfect. Seats show just extremely minor wear still a solid 9-10. Back seat has pretty much never been sat in. Carpets are perfect. No rips, stains, tears. Floor mats are new. I keep the original BMW driver floor mat down on driver side to protect the new one underneath.

Car runs like a champ, especially on the highway. Tracks straight as an arrow. The G009 Bridgestones in the rain are otherworldly.

Original BMW stereo/cassette/speakers are ok. They are 15yrs old so they are getting a little long in the tooth, but still works fine.

Oh, I also have the original 15" BMW mesh wheels if you want them. They are in very good shape, but the rubber on them is hit or miss. Mismatched tires, but a couple tires are pretty new. Theres also a 15" mesh matching rim in the trunk.

THE NOT SO GOOD
The automatic tranny likes to be warmed up for about a minute when starting off. If you just get in and immediately drive, shifting from first gear will require running the revs to about 4,500rpms before it shifts to second. This happens only once -- the first time. If the car warms up for 30-60 seconds, it doesnt even do this.

The park "pawl" that is used to hold the car when placed in Park has worn down over the years and wont hold the car. Use the handbrake, which grabs hold of the car like a prostitute's thighs grab hold of a paying customer, and you are fine. I park it on hills with the handbrake and never had any trouble. I bought the car knowing the pawl was worn down. I use the handbrake anyway so it wasnt a big deal.

Anyone familiar with the E30 IXs knows theres more driveline noise on these cars than the 2WD 325s. Just the way they are.

The front right foglight lenses is broken. I can replace if you request me to. Bulb inside still works. All the lights, blinkers, taillights, brake lights, etc work. Replace a brake bulb about a month ago in fact.

While the inside on this car is time capsule, the paint is so-so. Ya aint gonna win Pebble Beach with it. Theres a small ding on the front hood lip where it meets the kidneys. Someone (maybe prior owner) had the grand idea to patch up paint chips with must have been a putty knife. So theres some touch up paint smears on the hood -- and only on the hood. When this car is washed, it looks terrific from 4-6ft away. Must of the paint on the overall car is fine. No oxidation. It will shine up well. But its got rock chips and stuff. And the aforementioned Dutch Boy effort on parts of the hood.

I bought the car b/c it was perfect inside and knew Id be spending my time in it, not on it.

Right rear window will not roll down. Might be a fuse I dunno. I never roll down the windows in the back much so I never bothered with it. Everything else electrical works. Buttwarmers get nice and hot too.

MISCELLANEOUS
Car has never overheated on it, but the temp gauge is currently acting on a mind of its own. I paid $140 to have shop fix/address the problem with thermostats, send units etc etc, but Im convinced its just a gauge with a mind of its own. I say this b/c if I tap the instrument cluster it will jump back where it should be most of the time. And considering my engine light and coolant light never come on it points to the gauge. Water pump is just a year old too.

Car is not a rustbucket. Theres a small fist-size indentation on the bottom right lower rear valence and thats gotten muddied up a bit. I try to keep all my cars clean not just the pcars.

SUMMARY
Runs like a scalded dog, cold A/C, AWD, perfect interior, ehh exterior, cool rims (2 sets), runs best with a short warmup, major maintenance done, use handbrake.

OBLIGATORY PICS

Perfect interior:

Another shot:

Rear seats:

Engine:

Floor mats:

Outside:

Original rims:

Goof paint touch up on hood:

More goofyness:

Old 04-14-2007, 03:36 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Location: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what i have been looking for...
Old 04-14-2007, 10:28 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

still for sale. I need to jump it though. Maybe if the snow and rain stops in Ohio, I might get a freaking chance!
Old 04-17-2007, 05:49 AM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Location: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats maintaince like for it? being awd and automatic...? dammit how long have you had it for sale? i mighta been able to get this instead of my neon crapbox, although the crapbox does get about 33mpg+/-.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:25 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

well i put $2000 into it to do all the main preventive stuff about 2 weeks after I bought it. Timing belt, water pump, the 60,000 mile interval service, new struts, etc. The rims/tires were another $1000.

Im fighting two things right now. They replaced the thermometer and temp lines when i told them the temp needle could keel over once it hit the middle, but the car kept running fine. So I spent $200 on a thermometer and sensor I dont think it needed. Im convinced its a bad gauge. If I tap the cluster the thing will bounce back. The car drives just like it did 11,000 miles ago when the temp gauge worked ok.

The other thing is the warming up of the tranny at startup. First gear will stick until about 4000rpms at startup. After that it shifts fine all damn day. The parking pawl has never worked when in Park but I knew that when I bought it. I use the emergency brake and never have a problem even on grades.

Its a great highway car. Mainly bought it because I wanted a good highway car that was cushy inside and from accounts, the E30 6 cylinders are pack mules. The outside is not gonna win pebble beach but its a 3 foot car. Inside is mint though and thats what sold me on it. I havent driven it in a cpl months b/c its been so damn cold and rainy. I need to jump it but Im actually looking forward to putting some more miles on it before someone buys it.

The 91 Bimmers are my favorite looking ones. They have the reworked bumpers that are body colored and dont stick out 12 inches. In 92 they went to the new body style.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:50 PM
hinchcliffe
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

THe e30 ix is an incredible car. I believe the front to rear split is about 35/65 and it feels like a rear wheel drive vehicle. I've never had more fun in a car in the snow then I did in my ix's. I've had three and the 3rd is now my mom's winter rat. THe first we bought (auto) at 186k miles and I drove it upto 257k and then sold it for $2k, never had to replace anything but fliuds and brakes. THe next was a '91 5-spd, bought it at 160k and sold it at 180k. Now my last one we bought, '89 auto, at 125k and currently has 150k and no big issues.

Again, awesome cars. Good luck with the sale.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Damn I'll be all over this if it were a 5spd. Good luck on the sale! Awesome car and great price
Old 04-17-2007, 02:28 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patfat
Damn I'll be all over this if it were a 5spd. Good luck on the sale! Awesome car and great price
+1
Good luck with it.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:50 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

I love my 91 iX also. It's a great foul weather warrior. I've done all the preventative stuff on mine also, belts, front splines, TC fluids, and balljoints...the HG going was due to a blown heater hose. The new head has it running like a top again at 215K miles. I'll be selling mine this Fall...a rare Lazur Metallic 5-spd Coupe.

Last edited by KuHL 951; 04-18-2007 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,
what kind of gas mileage does that thing get?

Quick Reply: For Sale: 1991 BMW 325IX Rennlist price: $4300