Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

European Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016 | 01:28 PM
Pattymac
Intermediate

Porsche loaned me a Garmin unit that has speed camera warnings - at least in Italy they appear.
Old 04-28-2016 | 04:48 PM
juniordrums
Advanced

Yep. They work in in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and Italy. I've checked them all.

I also verified the roads are completely functional above 180 mph.😜
Old 04-29-2016 | 04:18 AM
loungin
Pro

Does the garmin know about closed passes to avoid routing you that way?
Old 04-29-2016 | 11:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pattymac
Porsche loaned me a Garmin unit that has speed camera warnings - at least in Italy they appear.
Cool. But by implication not in GER? (speed camera alerts)
Old 05-05-2016 | 08:43 AM
juniordrums
Advanced

The warnings appeared in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Italy...
Old 05-07-2016 | 06:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by juniordrums
The warnings appeared in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Italy...
Duh, missed your other post on this: excellent.
Old 06-06-2016 | 05:53 PM
pefman
Advanced

Hi All, My wife and I picked up my new GT4 on June 1st in Leipzig. The GPS was preloaded with European maps and it has worked incredibly well -- much better than our Mercedes system back home. I did not pay any fee for the Euro maps. When we got that instead of a TomTom, I thought that Porsche had just decided that it was cheaper for them to just load some software than to go through the trouble of loaning a unit and getting it returned. Anyone else get this -- or were we just lucky?
Old 06-06-2016 | 08:49 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pefman
Hi All, My wife and I picked up my new GT4 on June 1st in Leipzig. The GPS was preloaded with European maps and it has worked incredibly well -- much better than our Mercedes system back home. I did not pay any fee for the Euro maps. When we got that instead of a TomTom, I thought that Porsche had just decided that it was cheaper for them to just load some software than to go through the trouble of loaning a unit and getting it returned. Anyone else get this -- or were we just lucky?

I did ED in 2013 and paid $250 for it as listed on the configurator. It worked great. It went away on the configurator as an option about a year or so ago and I thought (from reading other threads) that the Tom Tom was now provided instead of Euro maps for the PCM. That news was a bummer since I am planning another ED trip next year. I don't want the wart driving around Europe.

Your experience sounds promising. Maybe they are providing it for free to everyone now. Does anybody know?

FWIW, I was told by my SA that all the maps are actually all preloaded. It's just selectable which continent you are on. There is no separate DVD. We had to pay for the Euro Maps because of licensing expense.
Old 06-07-2016 | 12:57 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pefman
You were lucky. I was charge $250 (per my window sticker options list) for Euro maps.
Old 06-07-2016 | 05:12 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Euro maps on PCM is a $250 option but it won't work on the new 2017 MY PCMs. Could be that they were out of the loaner portable navs and just hooked you up since you have a compatible vehicle?
Old 06-07-2016 | 09:35 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
Euro maps on PCM is a $250 option but it won't work on the new 2017 MY PCMs. Could be that they were out of the loaner portable navs and just hooked you up since you have a compatible vehicle?

Now this makes sense and it is exactly what others had happen to them when Porsche is out of Tom Toms when I was there in 2013.

I hope they are out of Tom Toms next year when I get there.

Quick Reply: European Navigation