Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

European Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:50 AM
juniordrums
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default European Navigation

I have a great European roaming program through T-Mobile. Regardless of your carrier, I discovered something nice driving through Germany yesterday...

The 2017 model cars can not have the Porsche nav system maps for Europe. Because of this, they loan you a decent GPS. However, I found a more familiar way.

I connect my iPhone to the usp port in the arm rest. That allows activation of Apple Car Play. I bring up the map and put in a destination, then wait for it to start the map/route.

After that, I put the phone into airplane mode. Since the route is already loaded, it uses the gps function, without using any data. Works like a champ.

Their loaner is great too, but fun to play with the car's system.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:20 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, what a great tip, thanks for sharing.

I accidentally discovered the same recently while in Hong Kong. I'd travelled into HK for the weekend while on business in Shenzhen, China. I'd forgotten to pack my USA SIM card and only had my China SIM card in the phone. However, as soon as you cross that border into HK, the China SIM no longer works. Meaning I was relegated to WiFi only while in HK. Not so bad, but I did have to use the maps app to guide me to a walking destination. Sadly, free WiFi is not available in HK. I stopped in countless Starbucks, McDonalds and hotel lobbies in search of WiFi, to no avail. But... the GPS did continue working and my progress on the map was accurately reflected. I was mighty impressed. Not to mention thankful.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:00 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

You can also download maps in google maps for offline use. Takes up a bunch of space but works.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:38 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Smart tip. Starting to miss ApplePlay on my 991.1
Old 04-22-2016, 05:09 AM
juniordrums
Advanced

The gps they loan us is perfectly fine. Its easy to program, and has a nice mount, for easy reading. Not an issue...
Old 04-22-2016, 02:22 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by juniordrums
The gps they loan us is perfectly fine. Its easy to program, and has a nice mount, for easy reading. Not an issue...
Yes, until it starts taking you on every side road and back road to your destination, except the Autobahn! I have first hand knowledge about that. I did see a lot of rural Germany that way, though.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:44 PM
juniordrums
Advanced

Who wants the autobahn, over the rural back roads? Sweet!
Autobahn is boring after about 2 minutes.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:03 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Who wants the autobahn, over the rural back roads? Sweet!
Autobahn is boring after about 2 minutes.
True, but I'm talking about "back roads" as in, some are one lane, some unpaved and some where the only other vehicles are tractors!
Old 04-22-2016, 06:04 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

I have a great European roaming program through T-Mobile. Regardless of your carrier, I discovered something nice driving through Germany yesterday...

The 2017 model cars can not have the Porsche nav system maps for Europe. Because of this, they loan you a decent GPS. However, I found a more familiar way.

I connect my iPhone to the usp port in the arm rest. That allows activation of Apple Car Play. I bring up the map and put in a destination, then wait for it to start the map/route.

After that, I put the phone into airplane mode. Since the route is already loaded, it uses the gps function, without using any data. Works like a champ.

Their loaner is great too, but fun to play with the car's system.
This is genius! I'm going to try it.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:47 PM
juniordrums
Advanced

Ive been using the loaner TomTom the past 1 1/2 days. Its really easy, and the gps warning for speed cameras is sweet...
Old 04-26-2016, 12:37 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Need4S
This is genius! I'm going to try it.
It works well. You just have to be patient and let the full route load before you turn on airplane mode. A disadvantage is that if you miss a turn, it can't recalculate unless you acquire an Internet signal again by exiting airplane mode, or find your own way back to the route.

Interestingly, Google maps led us out of Berlin the exact opposite way from the loaner device. Google took us north on A111 to A24, whilst the loaner wanted to take us south to A10, which Google said would take an hour longer. I don't know if that would have happened but it only took a little more than 3 hours the Google way, even with a fuel stop. I can't wait to use Car Play back home, but I will miss being able to go 200 kph on the open stretches of the Autobahn.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:39 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Ive been using the loaner TomTom the past 1 1/2 days. Its really easy, and the gps warning for speed cameras is sweet...
Yes, it is a nice unit. Post if it takes you down some odd roads, though. Maybe mine isn't set up right or I have older maps or firmware on it.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:34 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Stuttgart right now with the loaner unit which works fine. But I haven't seen any speed camera warnings although I'm sure that I've passed some. Is there a setting?
Old 04-27-2016, 01:18 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent advice - thanks
Old 04-27-2016, 01:22 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah, good to know: had an issue in BEL w/ cameras, and as well FRA...

Quick Reply: European Navigation