Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Concerns in Light of ISIL Activity in EU?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016 | 11:58 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Default Concerns in Light of ISIL Activity in EU?

Took me a long time to get to the point of being able to do European delivery. It's not so much money (although that is always an issue), but time. So we made plans last November and now our car will be ready in April. But the US government has now issued a travel alert for Europe. Would you suggest cancelling?

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...vel-alert.html
Old 03-30-2016 | 12:01 AM
juniordrums
Advanced

I am going, and taking family. My plan is to stay away from the far western european areas, as well as minimize my time in the larger cities. Dress to blend in, not look like the ugly American...
Old 03-30-2016 | 12:35 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by juniordrums
I am going, and taking family. My plan is to stay away from the far western european areas, as well as minimize my time in the larger cities. Dress to blend in, not look like the ugly American...
Dress to blend in? http://thesavvybackpacker.com/how-to...ist-in-europe/
Old 03-30-2016 | 02:36 AM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Dude, you're more likely to die crossing the street tomorrow than you are by ISIS.

Look both ways at the crosswalk, enjoy your European delivery, and don't let Fox News scare you.
Old 03-30-2016 | 02:43 AM
Marvinta
Pro

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
Dude, you're more likely to die crossing the street tomorrow than you are by ISIS.

Look both ways at the crosswalk, enjoy your European delivery, and don't let Fox News scare you.
Great advice!
Old 03-30-2016 | 11:38 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Terrorism only works if you fear it and change your behavior. I am NOT changing my plans. I'll be showing Europe some love and spending some $$$$ there.
Old 03-30-2016 | 01:02 PM
Kelderek
Instructor

Originally Posted by Need4S
Took me a long time to get to the point of being able to do European delivery. It's not so much money (although that is always an issue), but time. So we made plans last November and now our car will be ready in April. But the US government has now issued a travel alert for Europe. Would you suggest cancelling?

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...vel-alert.html
Considering that more people get killed in violent acts in the US than in Europe (per capita), you're actually safer coming over here!

(Not trying to start a debate on violent crime/terrorism/murder rate statistics, just putting things into perspective
Europe is large, risk of being victimized by any kind of violent acts is very different from region to region, from neighborhood to neighborhood, just like in the US. Any ISIS activity will just be minor surface ruffles on the overall risk profile in any given location you happen to be in...)
Old 04-02-2016 | 11:07 PM
juniordrums
Advanced

This is incorrect thinking. I am an airline pilot, who travels often to Europe. You guys need to take it seriously. My advice is as follows:

1) Be aware of your surroundings and who is nearby.
2) Do NOT stand out. Nothing better for these folks than to kill an American. Wear appropriate clothing and avoid being the loud obnoxious yankee.
3) The smartest plan would be to stay outside of major metropolitan areas.

Take it for what it's worth, but this threat is real.
Old 04-04-2016 | 02:16 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by juniordrums
This is incorrect thinking. I am an airline pilot, who travels often to Europe. You guys need to take it seriously. My advice is as follows:

1) Be aware of your surroundings and who is nearby.
2) Do NOT stand out. Nothing better for these folks than to kill an American. Wear appropriate clothing and avoid being the loud obnoxious yankee.
3) The smartest plan would be to stay outside of major metropolitan areas.

Take it for what it's worth, but this threat is real.
http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...226-story.html

4,735 pedestrians deaths in the US in 2013 alone. How many Americans did "ISIS" kill in Europe since 2013?

You will more likely die crossing the street, or a multitude of other ways, than by a terrorist attack.

Should you be careful? Absolutely. But don't be ruled by overblown fear.
Old 04-04-2016 | 02:56 PM
juniordrums
Advanced

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...226-story.html

4,735 pedestrians deaths in the US in 2013 alone. How many Americans did "ISIS" kill in Europe since 2013?

You will more likely die crossing the street, or a multitude of other ways, than by a terrorist attack.

Should you be careful? Absolutely. But don't be ruled by overblown fear.
ISIL didn't issue the call for unlimited attacks against their enemies back in 2013. They did it a couple weeks ago.

I am not saying we need to have uncontrolled fear. I am simply saying if you are traveling in Europe right now, security and safety need to be a consideration.

There will be other attacks in Europe. It is extremely likely they will happen quite soon. It is NOT a question of IF they will happen, but only a question of when...

Quick Reply: Concerns in Light of ISIL Activity in EU?