Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

To wrap, or not to wrap, that is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 05:26 PM
juniordrums
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtechnik
I also am having SchwabenFolia do a full XPEL wrap the morning of ED in June! I plan on getting ED, then carefully driving the car over to their shop and getting a ride back to the Porsche factory for tour, etc. Good fair price too.
Some things to consider:

1) Sandro and his guys do tons of these for new ED Porsche folks. He can pick up the car and take it to his place. That's what I am doing. That way, I can stay there for the factory tour at 10:30.

2) their price for doing xpel is "ok." I could do a bit better here at home, but want coverage during ED. Don't forget that you also have to pay the VAT tax over there. That will add quite a bit to price.

3) with number 2 above as an issue, I'm not sure the full wrap makes sense over there. You could get the front wrapped there, then finish the full wrap when it gets back home.

4) the front-only wrap can be done in 1 day, as long as Sandro gets your car by 10am. The full wraps here take a few days. They are likely the same there.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:32 AM
Love2Apex
Instructor

Originally Posted by juniordrums
Some things to consider:

1) Sandro and his guys do tons of these for new ED Porsche folks. He can pick up the car and take it to his place. That's what I am doing. That way, I can stay there for the factory tour at 10:30.

2) their price for doing xpel is "ok." I could do a bit better here at home, but want coverage during ED. Don't forget that you also have to pay the VAT tax over there. That will add quite a bit to price.

3) with number 2 above as an issue, I'm not sure the full wrap makes sense over there. You could get the front wrapped there, then finish the full wrap when it gets back home.

4) the front-only wrap can be done in 1 day, as long as Sandro gets your car by 10am. The full wraps here take a few days. They are likely the same there.

To clarify, I am getting the full "frontal areas" wrap. About $2k USD. before VAT. My local XPEL professional charges $2,5k for the full frontal area wrap. I was thinking I could drive the car over around 9:30am and then get back to the factory for the tour at 10:30am. Does that seem feasible?

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2016, 01:27 PM
juniordrums
Advanced

a couple of the best installers in Atlanta do it for around $1500, including tax...
Old 04-16-2016, 06:05 AM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm thinking of doing the same in mid-May. What areas exactly are you guys getting covered?

Does what you're getting include rocker panels/side skirts? How about front surface of rear fender/air intake panels?

Also, how do you guys plan on paying in euros? I'm not experienced in large currency exchanges and I'm sure there must be a better way than bringing $2500 to the currency exchange window. Usually I get cash at the atm but there won't be enough time given my daily w/d limits.

Originally Posted by Mtechnik
To clarify, I am getting the full "frontal areas" wrap. About $2k USD. before VAT. My local XPEL professional charges $2,5k for the full frontal area wrap. I was thinking I could drive the car over around 9:30am and then get back to the factory for the tour at 10:30am. Does that seem feasible?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2016, 10:51 AM
aigle836
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Any updates on SchwabenFolia?
I used them back in November for a front wrap. Since it was cold, I drop the car at their shop at the end of the day after the delivery (so I took my time at the plant and lunch since I did not have to get there before the end of the day), so they could put the car in their shop overnight to have it warm the next morning. They took all the next day to do the job, and it was a bit tight time wise, but they got it done fine. So the only issue really was the prepayment as they do not take credit cards.

So I used that day to visit the museum. Be warn that there is major work in Stuttgart as they are building a new subway and the traffic is simply horrific. Even if the shop is only about 10 minutes from Porsche, at one time it took me almost 1,5 hours to do it...

I had some concerns about adding the wrap to the car as what would happen with the customs when the car showed up here (wrap is not original to the car and not listed in the car description for custom clearance). But I had no issue as I guess customs did not even see it.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:27 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by loungin
I'm thinking of doing the same in mid-May. What areas exactly are you guys getting covered?

Does what you're getting include rocker panels/side skirts? How about front surface of rear fender/air intake panels?

Also, how do you guys plan on paying in euros? I'm not experienced in large currency exchanges and I'm sure there must be a better way than bringing $2500 to the currency exchange window. Usually I get cash at the atm but there won't be enough time given my daily w/d limits.
I sent the funds, in Euros, by wire transfer. From my phone Your bank can easily assist if it's your first time transacting this way.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:28 AM
juniordrums
Advanced

Originally Posted by loungin

Email Sandro and he will work it out with you. You can pay ahead of time, or you can take cash. I am taking cash. Sandro has one of his guys meeting me at the factory about 8:45. I will be done the paperwork then, and hand the car off to him. They will take the car to their shop, and have it done by evening. Meanwhile I will do the factory tour, lunch, and museum...
Old 04-17-2016, 12:27 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If done in Germany, is the warranty on the wrap valid back in the US? ED in Late ?May, so considering this.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:16 PM
juniordrums
Advanced

Warranty is fully in effect for parts and labor...
Old 04-22-2016, 03:15 AM
trebien
Racer

Warranty is fully in effect for parts and labor...
Parts and labor? Lol... are they going to fly a crew over here to the US to fix any issues, or do you have to ship the car back to Germany?
Old 04-22-2016, 05:08 AM
juniordrums
Advanced

When a warranty issue is covered, even within the USA, it is not required to have the same labor do the work. I can only assume you made an attempt at humor?
Old 04-30-2016, 05:19 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Back to the original question, wrap or no, we went with no wrap. Everything turned out fine, and the benefit was that we didn't lose a day while the car was getting wrapped. The German roads are much better maintained than in the U.S., so there were almost no road debris, rocks or other flying hazards, at least on paved motorways and the Autobahn. Even secondary roads were clean.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:39 AM
juniordrums
Advanced

Originally Posted by Need4S
Back to the original question, wrap or no, we went with no wrap. Everything turned out fine, and the benefit was that we didn't lose a day while the car was getting wrapped. The German roads are much better maintained than in the U.S., so there were almost no road debris, rocks or other flying hazards, at least on paved motorways and the Autobahn. Even secondary roads were clean.
I agree the roads are much nicer here than most of the USA.

I did get wrapped, and I also did not lose a day. They took the car in the morning. By the time we toured the factory, ate lunch, and went to the museum, we had only an hour or so until they were done.

While it is possible to get through ED without the wrap, I see it as an insurance policy. If one is getting it done in the USA anyways, it is quite logical to go ahead and have it done before the driving tour around Europe.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:47 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I agree the roads are much nicer here than most of the USA. I did get wrapped, and I also did not lose a day. They took the car in the morning. By the time we toured the factory, ate lunch, and went to the museum, we had only an hour or so until they were done. While it is possible to get through ED without the wrap, I see it as an insurance policy. If one is getting it done in the USA anyways, it is quite logical to go ahead and have it done before the driving tour around Europe.
Yes. If you can arrange it in advance, that works without losing time. As you point out, you are occupied almost a day with the delivery, factory tour and museum anyway. But you have to carefully plan ahead.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:50 AM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 80 Posts

Anyone have a recommendation for a place that does similar work in or around Leipzig by any chance?

Quick Reply: To wrap, or not to wrap, that is the question...