Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

When do you settle the payment for a European Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 09:35 PM
ddas1992
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts
Default When do you settle the payment for a European Delivery

Hi folks - This will be my first ED with Porsche. For my last ED with BMW (now almost 10 years ago), I believe I had to settle the finances about a a couple of weeks or so before I left for Europe. For folks who have either done or planning to do a Porsche ED soon, when did you settle the payment? My delivery date is July 18th. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-17-2023, 11:14 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 762 Likes on 351 Posts

Porsche says "before going out to Europe", personally I will probably wire the money about a week before my flight to allow room for errors.
The following users liked this post:
ddas1992 (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 12:12 PM
woobiee
Pro

Received 983 Likes on 318 Posts

I settled about 3 weeks prior departure. A week out is probably the latest I'd go.
ddas1992 (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 03:16 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,127 Likes on 670 Posts

My dealer didn’t ask for anything till the car was back. Feels kinda strange ripping around in a car that hasn’t been paid for lol.

Lucifer (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 03:25 PM
ddas1992
Advanced

Originally Posted by Angryinch
My dealer didn’t ask for anything till the car was back. Feels kinda strange ripping around in a car that hasn’t been paid for lol.
Wow! That’s very rare, I think. Thought you had to settle the payment and show proof of purchase before before picking up the car in Germany.

Last edited by ddas1992; 04-19-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2023, 03:54 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

I believe my dealer would have paid Porsche for the car already. The car is registered in my name in Europe currently.

All I showed Porsche upon delivery was my passport, she looked at the name and said yep, come on in.

toph4242 (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 03:56 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 762 Likes on 351 Posts

That's so nice of them. My dealer said they won't ask neither the local California tax (out of state dealership) nor the German VAT - but didn't say anything about when to pay them.
Really hope it would be like you described.
Old 04-19-2023, 04:37 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

We completed the purchase paperwork and paid for our ED car a week ago and we pick it up on Monday - so two weeks prior for us. FWIW, it was the same for a car we picked up in 2015 - completed everything with a week or two buffer before the planned pickup.
toph4242 (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 06:08 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 870 Posts

I believe my dealer would have paid Porsche for the car already. The car is registered in my name in Europe currently.

All I showed Porsche upon delivery was my passport, she looked at the name and said yep, come on in.
This is pretty incredible to hear, you are lucky. My dealer explained to me that they are being invoiced this week for my 911 that I am picking up in 5 weeks time in Leipzig. Since they were invoiced this week, I am going to head in about 2 weeks from now (so 3 weeks prior to ED) to pick up my ED packet and complete the wire transfers/paperwork etc. Since we technically have no obligation to return the car once we have picked it up in Europe, they were not even going to consider letting me take the keys before fully paying for it. Obviously we all want to return the car to avoid VAT and get free shipping home, but it wasn't a risk my dealer or most dealers in the US would even consider taking.
EDIT: I do not have to hand over any money for the VAT, which is really nice... this is dealer to dealer decision
I did get the final letter/paperwork from Joey this morning that explained the drop off procedure and all the hotel voucher info etc. In the document it also mentioned that the car is being insured for its full value on its shipping trip home. They have in bold letters now too that my fire extinguisher WILL BE REMOVED, no exceptions, so if anyone has any last minute tips on how to get that home Im all ears! No shipping company will allow me to box it up and ship it home since its "pressurized". Such a bummer, would love the OEM extinguisher to be there when its back in the states, but a problem to resolve at another time I guess.

Last edited by toph4242; 04-19-2023 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2023, 06:40 PM
ddas1992
Advanced

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
We completed the purchase paperwork and paid for our ED car a week ago and we pick it up on Monday - so two weeks prior for us. FWIW, it was the same for a car we picked up in 2015 - completed everything with a week or two buffer before the planned pickup.
Exactly the same experience for my last ED with BMW. Looks like settling the paperwork and payment anytime 2-3 weeks prior to pick up is the norm..
Old 04-19-2023, 06:56 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

In full disclosure I did randomly pop into the dealer and bring them a cheque for a bit a month or so before I left. They didn’t request it. I just thought I’d start paying for it. It was under 25% of the total value. I still owe them a lot more.

Seems a bit strange to me, I guess they trust me!?
ddas1992 (04-20-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 11:25 PM
bobert75
Racer

Received 735 Likes on 254 Posts

The European Delivery Vehicle Order and Agreement that I filled out & signed absolutely does obligate me to have the car sent to the US. It even asks for drop off date & location.

"...the Customer will return the Vehicle to a location in Europe designated by PCNA for export to United States/Canada within a sufficient period of time to ensure that the Vehicle can be exported to United States/Canada sooner than 3 months from the date the Vehicle is delivered to the Customer."

"The vehicle will be delivered to me in Europe so that I may temporarily operate it in Europe for no more than 3 months after Delivery and for fewer than 6,000 km. The Vehicle must be exported to the Unites States within that time period. I hereby agree and am obligated by this Agreement to export the Vehicle to the United States within 3 months from the date of Delivery."
Old 04-20-2023, 01:55 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Yes this is true. The intention is to export the car for us all.
Old 04-20-2023, 06:33 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by bobert75
The European Delivery Vehicle Order and Agreement that I filled out & signed absolutely does obligate me to have the car sent to the US. It even asks for drop off date & location.

"...the Customer will return the Vehicle to a location in Europe designated by PCNA for export to United States/Canada within a sufficient period of time to ensure that the Vehicle can be exported to United States/Canada sooner than 3 months from the date the Vehicle is delivered to the Customer."

"The vehicle will be delivered to me in Europe so that I may temporarily operate it in Europe for no more than 3 months after Delivery and for fewer than 6,000 km. The Vehicle must be exported to the Unites States within that time period. I hereby agree and am obligated by this Agreement to export the Vehicle to the United States within 3 months from the date of Delivery."
All I meant was that without exporting the vehicle in the 3 month time window, you just become responsible for the VAT, which is why dealers usually say something about a VAT deposit on their end in case a customer decides to ignore this. Once you take delivery in Europe the car is yours, so paying beforehand is 99.99% of the time the standard practice...
Old 04-21-2023, 01:19 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Yes, I think the wording is more to protect Porsche and let you know that if you don’t export, you owe VAT and are responsible for customs and getting it home on your own.

Quick Reply: When do you settle the payment for a European Delivery