Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Leipzig Delivery in June!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 09:08 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 460 Posts

What a fantastic experience. Thanks for posting this and post more pics if you gave them. Congratulations on your new T.
The following users liked this post:
toph4242 (06-17-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 01:44 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 1,776 Posts

So happy for you. I'll have to ship my car there one of these days and take a month or so to trek around Europe. So unfortunate that ED wasn't available for me. Your car is fantastic and can't wait to pick mine up.
toph4242 (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 07:18 AM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,563 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
So happy for you. I'll have to ship my car there one of these days and take a month or so to trek around Europe. So unfortunate that ED wasn't available for me. Your car is fantastic and can't wait to pick mine up.
You will make it happen some day! I have no doubt
Wilder (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 07:32 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,720 Posts

Instead of shipping your car, what about those European Porsche vacations where they provide the car, the chase vehicles for luggage, the route, and lodging all planned out? That's one thing I'm thinking about.
toph4242 (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 08:38 AM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Instead of shipping your car, what about those European Porsche vacations where they provide the car, the chase vehicles for luggage, the route, and lodging all planned out? That's one thing I'm thinking about.
Yea, the Tuscany tour looks pretty incredible!
Old 06-18-2023, 02:05 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,079 Likes on 643 Posts

Awesome, thanks for sharing. Brought a smile to my face and memories. Man I miss Germany, what a fortunate experience.

I agree, Black Forest and Baden Baden are terrific, we spent 2 days there. Lots to do in Baden Baden, the roman Spa's are cool.

I love the Ruby Star, such a cool and bold color. Congrats and enjoy!
toph4242 (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 10:56 AM
YWG_YYZ
Advanced

Received 109 Likes on 28 Posts

Congratulations! Can't wait to have mine delivered on Jul 5.
I agree that Stelvio has the been popularized by Top Gear, but wasn't my favourite pass. I found it way too narrow, and the tight switchbacks look fantastic on a screen/photo, but less enjoyable in a car.
I much prefer the route out of Andermatt, Switzerland. From there you can go pretty much any directions, and you can go through back to back passes (Gotthard to the South, Or Furka (W) --> Grimsel (N) --> Susten (E) loop. Other passes in the area are incredible too, and the roads are much less tight).
I also have 12:15 PM start. May I know when did your delivery day end? Curious as I am trying to see how far I can drive out of Leipzig on the day of delivery.
toph4242 (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 01:36 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YWG_YYZ
I agree that Stelvio has the been popularized by Top Gear, but wasn't my favourite pass. I found it way too narrow, and the tight switchbacks look fantastic on a screen/photo, but less enjoyable in a car.
I much prefer the route out of Andermatt, Switzerland. From there you can go pretty much any directions, and you can go through back to back passes (Gotthard to the South, Or Furka (W) --> Grimsel (N) --> Susten (E) loop. Other passes in the area are incredible too, and the roads are much less tight).
I also have 12:15 PM start. May I know when did your delivery day end? Curious as I am trying to see how far I can drive out of Leipzig on the day of delivery.
The Delivery Day schedule was as follows for me:

11:45am Pick up from hotel
12pm arrival at Leipzig
12:15pm Lunch was served in the beautiful dinning room upstairs
(Long time for lunch, so we checked out the museum and went shopping in the store once we were done eating)
1:45pm: Factory Tour
3:15: Track session (Ended up being a little over an hour of actual track time which was great!)
4:30pm Vehicle hand over (This was very quick because I had a 992 before this car... They asked my familiarity with the platform and I explained that I had one already and they were thrilled... they clearly didn't want to spend more time than was needed sitting in the car fumbling through screens etc, and this being the end of the day, I could tell the guy in charge of my delivery was eager to get home haha...)

All in all I think we only spent about 20-30min on the handover (There is over 90min budgeted for this process, so they will stick around till about 6pm if you want them to, but we were done by 5pm.)
Quick stop back in the store which is right at the entrance... They drive your car around to the front of the building so you can take photos etc there. We were on our way out of the facility by around 5:30pm after taking plenty of pictures and grabbing our final items from the factory store which they held for us from earlier in the day.

You can certainly reduce the amount of time you spend on the handover and on photos as the end etc on site... but enjoy the day!! Its sad when its over. I'd say plan on being there till at least 5pm, more likely 5:30pm. They will probably start to move you along anytime after 6pm when they are ready to start closing up the store and cafe... I do believe they keep the restaurant open later for dinner though. We were obviously served lunch, but you might have a dinner on your schedule.

ENJOY! Its an incredible day!
bobert75 (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 03:14 PM
bobert75
Racer

Received 735 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by YWG_YYZ
I agree w/both of you - Stelvio was a great experience but after doing it in Oct 2017, this time I plan to go up the western side (vs going up the super steep/tight eastern side), connect to Umbrail Pass (run it back & forth), then come back down the same [western] side again. Stelvio is the only repeat pass on my itinerary.

I also like your idea about Andermatt - I had the exact same idea for my trip in August! I have long planned to do exactly what you say - we'll be running Gotthard/Furka/Grimsel/Susten, then staying in Andermatt, then - next day - running a loop of Gotthard/Nufenen/Furka/Oberalp (a couple repeats in this second loop but Furka is in the opposite direction compared to the day before plus this time we'll go the full length of it). After a night in Bellizona, we'll move onto San Bernardino, Splugen, Maloja, Julier, Albula. Working our way east, Stelvio & Umbrail & Gavia will be the following day, before we move onto the Sella group in the Dolomites after that.

Toph makes an interesting point about the Black Forest Rd vs all the passes - indeed the passes are typically full of switchbacks vs sweepers, so I agree it's important to drive in diff places to experience diff types of roads. I've done only the northern section of the Black Forest Rd so this time I'm looking forward to running both sections on our way down to Switzerland before all the passes.

Enjoy your trip in a couple weeks!
toph4242 (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 03:53 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobert75
I agree w/both of you - Stelvio was a great experience but after doing it in Oct 2017, this time I plan to go up the western side (vs going up the super steep/tight eastern side), connect to Umbrail Pass (run it back & forth), then come back down the same [western] side again. Stelvio is the only repeat pass on my itinerary.

I also like your idea about Andermatt - I had the exact same idea for my trip in August! I have long planned to do exactly what you say - we'll be running Gotthard/Furka/Grimsel/Susten, then staying in Andermatt, then - next day - running a loop of Gotthard/Nufenen/Furka/Oberalp (a couple repeats in this second loop but Furka is in the opposite direction compared to the day before plus this time we'll go the full length of it). After a night in Bellizona, we'll move onto San Bernardino, Splugen, Maloja, Julier, Albula. Working our way east, Stelvio & Umbrail & Gavia will be the following day, before we move onto the Sella group in the Dolomites after that.

Toph makes an interesting point about the Black Forest Rd vs all the passes - indeed the passes are typically full of switchbacks vs sweepers, so I agree it's important to drive in diff places to experience diff types of roads. I've done only the northern section of the Black Forest Rd so this time I'm looking forward to running both sections on our way down to Switzerland before all the passes.

Enjoy your trip in a couple weeks!
Yes, the back side of Stelvio/Umbrail was incredibly enjoyable! and If I'm not mistaken, that is where the famous scene in Goldfinger was filmed where he is looking down at the Gold Rolls Royce from the hillside.

Old 06-19-2023, 03:55 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

For anyone that has been to Stelvio Pass, you may be aware that there is a group of Gentleman sitting in lawn chairs throughout the mountainside with very nice Cameras and a small Van with the name "Stelviofotos.com" plastered on the side. I didn't think much of it at the time, but decided I should go on and see what they might have captured from my drive up and down the pass... I was not disappointed!! Certainly a high price for pictures, but I think they were well worth the memories...

The following 2 users liked this post by toph4242:
Muckesäckele (06-22-2023), wdr911 (06-22-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 11:27 AM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

I was not anticipating to be this impatient already... I'm only a little over 1 week into the waiting process post dropping off for shipping and already trying to figure out if I have any shot at making the next 2 boats. I don't know why I had convinced myself that the buzz from the ED trip would last me at least a few weeks... but I can confirm that I only made it 1 week lol. I WANT MY CAR BACK!!!
Old 06-20-2023, 06:21 PM
ddas1992
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Amazing account of the trip. Loved the pictures and the details. Thanks for sharing.
Getting goose bumps now thinking about my trip - scheduled for a July 18th pickup at Leipzig. While it will be hard to match this, will try my best to provide as detailed and accurate an account of my trip once back!
toph4242 (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 12:03 AM
bobert75
Racer

Received 735 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by toph4242
I was not anticipating to be this impatient already... I'm only a little over 1 week into the waiting process post dropping off for shipping and already trying to figure out if I have any shot at making the next 2 boats. I don't know why I had convinced myself that the buzz from the ED trip would last me at least a few weeks... but I can confirm that I only made it 1 week lol. I WANT MY CAR BACK!!!
Doing ED makes the wait for US delivery much worse - you've taken delivery in Europe & bonded with it already - it's now your car waiting & getting on a boat! I know that feeling from my M2 six years ago - already warned the wife I will be a mess waiting for my prize to follow us home after drop-off on Sept 6..
Old 06-21-2023, 05:22 PM
Dan006
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by toph4242
congratulations on your adventure. I am not far from this region and you summed it up perfectly. The Black Forest and Bavaria are very pretty regions with beautiful roads.
toph4242 (06-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Leipzig Delivery in June!!