Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

PEC Atlanta and PPF

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 05:35 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts
Default PEC Atlanta and PPF

PEC Atlanta is no longer allowing for cars to be released prior to delivery for off site PPF installations. They are only offering PPF through “Porsche certified installer” at the port of entry Jacksonville. Does anyone have any info on the service offered by Porsche? I really don’t have any options as I’m driving home directly from PEC. Here’s the info they sent me:

Old 01-20-2023, 10:39 AM
Carerra Kid
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Brig993,
Not certain if I completely understand your question, but for what it is worth I chose the Premium PPF package (ZFP) followed by the fusion plus ceramic coating for the entire car (this apparently adds another week or two to delivery/pick-up). The 992 Cabriolet that should be ready for pick-up at ATLPEC in April-ish (fingers crossed) will be my everyday car and PPF on at least the hood is a must for me as everyone knows the aero dynamics of the 911 front seems to guide those flying stones and road debris right between those beautiful front fenders. My choice was to do it aftermarket or via the Porsche options. Since I'll be driving from ATLPEC back down to West Palm Beach I decided to have Porsche do it rather than through and aftermarket shop in Atlanta (I would want someone local if I needed to follow up), or waiting until I arrived in Florida (wanting to avoid stone chips). You're correct that the film and ceramic is applied in Jacksonville prior to shipping to Atlanta; according to my PE Delivery Coordinator Graham Kiffin. I also wanted the Xpel film which I've found to have excellent 'self healing' properties.
The following users liked this post:
Brig993 (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 10:47 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

I should say does anyone have any experience with the Porsche offered service at PEC. I’m concerned about the quality of the install.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:55 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carerra Kid
Hi Brig993,
Not certain if I completely understand your question, but for what it is worth I chose the Premium PPF package (ZFP) followed by the fusion plus ceramic coating for the entire car (this apparently adds another week or two to delivery/pick-up). The 992 Cabriolet that should be ready for pick-up at ATLPEC in April-ish (fingers crossed) will be my everyday car and PPF on at least the hood is a must for me as everyone knows the aero dynamics of the 911 front seems to guide those flying stones and road debris right between those beautiful front fenders. My choice was to do it aftermarket or via the Porsche options. Since I'll be driving from ATLPEC back down to West Palm Beach I decided to have Porsche do it rather than through and aftermarket shop in Atlanta (I would want someone local if I needed to follow up), or waiting until I arrived in Florida (wanting to avoid stone chips). You're correct that the film and ceramic is applied in Jacksonville prior to shipping to Atlanta; according to my PE Delivery Coordinator Graham Kiffin. I also wanted the Xpel film which I've found to have excellent 'self healing' properties.
We are scheduled to pick up early to mid May as of now. We are driving back home through GA, NC, TN and WV back up to NJ hoping to hit a lot of the great driving roads. We’re facing the same decision with the long drive home will likely go with the Porsche options due to this. So far dealing with Graham and he’s been answering all our questions but I was looking for someone who had this service completed at pec already.
The following users liked this post:
Carerra Kid (01-20-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 06:21 PM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts

I am picking up my 911 in 3 weeks at ATL. I plan to just bring some tracwrap for my trip back to the Northeast. I will have the local Xpel installer do the full wrap. Also, doing it locally just helps with other issues down the line. I have had two other cars done locally and if there are bubbles, etc, the local folks took care of it pretty quickly.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:22 PM
aalu91
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have any additional insight into this? Curious as I just received an allocation for gts and thinking of Atlanta delivery.
Old 02-15-2023, 07:52 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 293 Posts

Is PEC LA offering similar service?
Old 02-15-2023, 11:04 AM
Jay9722
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 79 Posts

Do you know if they do a paint correction at the port before applying the film? What is the process? Has anyone researched how it’s done at the port? I would be worried about all of the contamination on the painted surfaces after the ocean crossing. I passed on the Porsche applied film and ceramic after my SA recommended going elsewhere. Their current detailer is at the end of his contract and not getting renewed due to poor work(his words). Obviously every place is different but after spending so much money on my car I want the PPF to be flawless. I have used a Rennlist recommended shop in Atlanta for years and next week I’m using a Rennlist recommended shop in Charleston.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:09 PM
Carerra Kid
Track Day

Hi Jay9722, I just asked that question again to our Advisor now that we're getting close; expected delivery of our Carrera is 3/24 at PECATL. Porsche's reply for what it's worth: "the PPF will be installed while in Jacksonville at the port before coming to PEC. The port has a team of detailers that will correct the paint prior to the installation of the PPF and Ceramic Coating."
Old 02-15-2023, 02:50 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jay9722
Do you know if they do a paint correction at the port before applying the film? What is the process? Has anyone researched how it’s done at the port? I would be worried about all of the contamination on the painted surfaces after the ocean crossing. I passed on the Porsche applied film and ceramic after my SA recommended going elsewhere. Their current detailer is at the end of his contract and not getting renewed due to poor work(his words). Obviously every place is different but after spending so much money on my car I want the PPF to be flawless. I have used a Rennlist recommended shop in Atlanta for years and next week I’m using a Rennlist recommended shop in Charleston.
I didn’t hear this. I spoke with the head detailer at PEC Atlanta and he answered many, many questions with detailed answers about the process. PEC ATL will no longer facilitate pre-delivery third party PPF installation. I’m sure it’s primarily due to loss of an opportunity to make money but among other reasons they actually cite was liability, not getting the cars back in time for the scheduled delivery date and the time it look PEC employees to facilitate the pick up and delivery back to PEC.

From the answers provided by PEC ATL they will do a decontamination and single stage paint correction. The Detailers are trained by Xpel corporate and approved and monitored by Porsche at the port of Jacksonville. Below is some of the correspondence I received:For the full body PPF coverage:

Are they using pre-cut or custom cut film?

They are using pre-cut film

What is the exact film used? Xpel ultimate plus standard 8 mil or the thicker 10mil?

To my knowledge they are using the standard 8mil protection film but can inquire about this for a more accurate answer.

Would there be any seams on the doors around the side view mirrors or any seams on the rear quarter panel, front, rear bumper?

Since the film is precut there are some seams that aren’t noticeable around the front and rear bumper, and quarter panel. I never saw seams around the mirrors, so I think those are removed during the installation process.

Is there any disassembly of the car to ensure a complete and seamless job?

There is no disassembly involved since the film is pre-cut

Do they remove the hood/rear badges and reinstall or cut around them?

The pre-cut film comes with the badges already cut so no cutting is required.

Will the standard rear “shark fin” PPF piece that is installed from the factory right behind the door and in front of the rear wheel be reinstalled at the rear quarter panel so that high impact area is “double stacked”?

They do reinstall that “shark fin” piece to have an added layer for protection since it is such a high impact area.

Our car has the full painted exterior package - Will all painted surfaces be fully wrapped? Including the front grill slats, lower bumper, side sills, side intakes, rear valance around the exhaust pipes.

When I detailed fully PPF’d Turbo’s parts of the exterior package that was wrapped was the lower bumper, side sills, side intakes, and rear valance.

Do they wrap and complete tuck all edges?

They tuck most of the edges, however the corners of the hood and bits of the mirrors were exposed. I would say less than cm was exposed.

The Turbo S has a moveable wing spoiler, in the rear will under the spoiler be wrapped? For example…under the actual wing portion and under the wing where the rams come out of the body to adjust the wing. And would the rear spoiler/small duck tail be a one piece install?

They do not wrap under the spoiler to my surprise. This one I was not expecting because I knew how much dirt/debris can get trapped under there.

Are the headlights wrapped?

Yes, the headlights are wrapped as well.

For the ceramic coating/paint protection:

Does the coating package include a paint correction on all painted surfaces?

If so how through is the paint correction? Is it a through decontamination followed by a quick 1 step or complete multi step process?

It does include a paint correction, however I noticed it was most likely a 1 step correction. There were very few times that I could see some spots that still needed correction before they applied the ceramic coating.

After the paint correction, is the ceramic coating done on all the film installed? Are the wheels and calipers coated as well?

Yes sir, they ceramic coat the PPF as well along with the calipers and wheels.

Basically, I want to make sure it includes both of the below:

PAINT CORRECTION CERAMIC COATING PACKAGE:

Full body paint correction with FUSION PLUS ceramic coating. Includes all glass, trim, wheels, and calipers.

All of those items will be coated

PAINT PROTECTION FILM CERAMIC COATING PACKAGE:

Full body FUSION PLUS ceramic coating of a vehicle that has been fully wrapped with XPEL Paint Protection Film.

They do coat all PPF pieces as well

the above was a correspondence I received please as always due your own due diligence as this information maybe dated or incorrect.
Old 02-15-2023, 04:15 PM
Carerra Kid
Track Day

Great info Brig993! Thank you!
Old 02-15-2023, 11:00 PM
Jay9722
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes that is very detailed information! In my previous post I was referring to the detailer at the dealership where I purchased my car and not the port. I had no knowledge about the process at the port. Had I know everything you just told us I would’ve gone with PEC ATL delivery.

Quick Reply: PEC Atlanta and PPF