Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Euro Del, PPF

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 01:53 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,127 Likes on 670 Posts
Default Euro Del, PPF

When doing Euro delivery, do you guys have PPF done when you return home, factory installed or installed in Germany once you take delivery?

I didn't want to have down time with the car in Europe, so that option maybe out? Factory film is $3k option. I can have it done for $2k or less locally.

Curious what others have done? Ill be doing delivery in November, the roads should be fine then?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2022, 12:38 AM
Chadds
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 19 Posts

Theres an outfit in Leipzig that’s competitively priced. I’ve a quote for my 992 GTS. They will stay open for you to arrive after the factory tour and your car will be ready for collection not the next morning but the following morning. I’m planning on taking the train to Stuttgart and visiting the Porsche museum and hopefully taking a factory tour while they work on my car. If this is of interest I will dig out their information and my quote. I found them from another RennList member who used them last year.

Originally Posted by Angryinch
When doing Euro delivery, do you guys have PPF done when you return home, factory installed or installed in Germany once you take delivery?

I didn't want to have down time with the car in Europe, so that option maybe out? Factory film is $3k option. I can have it done for $2k or less locally.

Curious what others have done? Ill be doing delivery in November, the roads should be fine then?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2022, 02:54 PM
Jeff Gilliam
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone have good luck w PPF in Stuttgart?
Old 03-04-2022, 12:55 PM
Nine_thousand
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 75 Posts

Here is an option for PPF that will protect your car on your trip but also let you have your preferred PPF installer do your car when it gets delivered.

I did ED in November for a GT3 MT and I was worried about 10 days of driving (including 3 track days) without PPF. However, I also didn’t want to give up two of those 10 days to have PPF installed locally, I wanted to have it done by the awesome guy that has done my other cars.

My solution was to pick up some extra PPF material from my local shop and install it myself (I literally took left over material that he just gave me for free).

When I arrived in Germany I bought a pair of scissors and a bottle of Windex. By laying the material on the car (with the backing still in place) I was able to draw the shapes I needed to cut, and then spraying the car with LOTS of Windex I was able to apply the PPF without any wrinkles or bubbles.

The last thing you need is a credit card or something to use as a small squeegee to squeeze the Windex out, and BOOM your car is protected! At least temporarily for your trip.

And it still looks good for pictures from your track days!

The following 2 users liked this post by Nine_thousand:
M. Schneider (03-15-2022), Tumbleweed (03-07-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 01:22 PM
Jeff Gilliam
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks. How much of the car did you wrap
Old 03-05-2022, 01:19 AM
Nine_thousand
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 75 Posts

I covered the full ‘forward facing’ part of the front bumper and the hood up to about 6” up from the top of the vents. I figured those were the highest risk areas. The car comes with factory installed paint protection covering the area just ahead of the rear fender

From up close the front looked entirely like it was done by an amateur, but from 10 feet away I don’t think anyone would notice.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (03-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 03:30 PM
VT Skier
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadds
Theres an outfit in Leipzig that’s competitively priced. I’ve a quote for my 992 GTS. They will stay open for you to arrive after the factory tour and your car will be ready for collection not the next morning but the following morning. I’m planning on taking the train to Stuttgart and visiting the Porsche museum and hopefully taking a factory tour while they work on my car. If this is of interest I will dig out their information and my quote. I found them from another RennList member who used them last year.
Please do dig out their information and post. Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
Cacou (04-15-2022)
Old 04-17-2022, 09:48 PM
JAMilford
Racer

Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

For what it is worth, I am packing some Xpel Trackwrap with me. I talked to my local guy and he suggested I take a roll of 12" and a roll of 4" and a small pair of scissors and do a quick temporary wrap in Zuffenhausen before I head out. Xpel Trackwrap can be bought on Amazon and usually delivered within a day or two. He suggested a strip of 12" across the nose, a couple strips on the hood and some behind each of the wheels with a strip of 4" up the A-Pillars and along the roof above the windshield/ He said it goes on easily dry and should take less than an hour. Though it won't look great, it will protect the vulnerable parts of the car. He also suggested I remove the wrap prior to shipment to prevent any staining from trapped water or debris under the film. I will then have him do a paint correction, fully wrap the car and coat it in GTechniq once the car returns home.

Quick Reply: Euro Del, PPF