Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Rhine and Mosel Valley vs. Swiss Alps

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 02:59 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Rhine and Mosel Valley vs. Swiss Alps

Even though my ED was canceled, I'm still planning to go and am renting a car instead. Has anyone done the Rhine and Mosel Valley tour and the Swiss Alps tour? How does it compare in terms of scenery and fun-factor for driving?

Last edited by incursion; 09-05-2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:10 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 255 Likes on 171 Posts

I haven't done those tours specifically, but used to live near Trier. I think you can imagine what the Alps tour is like; the other one will be much flatter, less scenic, but more German history and culture. I get little, culturally, out of visiting St. Moritz, for example, but Trier is very historic and the area around is filled with windy roads. Lake Como will be the highlight of the southern route culturally and scenic-wise.

It's a win-win, but the southern route could be vastly improved by continuing on to Florence, and the northern should continue to at least Luxembourg. Really its south: driving 5 stars, scenery 5 stars, culture 3 and North, 4, 4, 4. Even more succinctly -passes versus castles.

Last edited by orca15; 09-06-2021 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:33 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by orca15
I haven't done those tours specifically, but used to live near Trier. I think you can imagine what the Alps tour is like; the other one will be much flatter, less scenic, but more German history and culture. I get little, culturally, out of visiting St. Moritz, for example, but Trier is very historic and the area around is filled with windy roads. Lake Como will be the highlight of the southern route culturally and scenic-wise.

It's a win-win, but the southern route could be vastly improved by continuing on to Florence, and the northern should continue to at least Luxembourg. Really its south: driving 5 stars, scenery 5 stars, culture 3 and North, 4, 4, 4. Even more succinctly -passes versus castles.
Ok your response is helpful. As long as the roads are still windy on the Rhine/Mosel tour, I'm sure it'll still be good driving compared to what I'm used to in Texas. I was actually planning to drop by Luxembourg to hit up a Michelin restaurant maybe. Do you have any other suggestions for that area?
Old 09-06-2021, 04:33 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 255 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by incursion
Ok your response is helpful. As long as the roads are still windy on the Rhine/Mosel tour, I'm sure it'll still be good driving compared to what I'm used to in Texas. I was actually planning to drop by Luxembourg to hit up a Michelin restaurant maybe. Do you have any other suggestions for that area?
As far as driving, no, I think they (Porsche) have probably sorted that out better than I can. But you pass by things like Heidelberg on this trip, which seem like an obvious stop. Rick Steves travel guides are always helpful and strongly recommended.

Cultural tips: Stay in small village Gasthauses whenever possible, or plan a day or two out on AirBnB if so inclined. Not sure how things are with COVID but evening drinking in the villages with the locals is the way to experience Germany. Drive off-hours, these roads are built to get people around, not for your driving pleasure. Be keenly aware that Germans do not suffer driving fools and unless things have changed drastically, the traffic markings do not coddle you. Farm/forest roads around Trier will often have dotted white lines (passing OK) with lots of blind curves, and the speed limit is 100km which can often challenge an experienced 911 driver to actually go that fast. This is a trip to meet the people...do not be shy and don't forget that thumbs count when ordering beers or you will get one more than you wanted

Added- study road signs, particularly for "priority signs/roads" if not familiar. Again, you are expected to know the rules, they don't necessarily put a yield sign everywhere that needs to yield, unlike U.S. Start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_signs_in_Germany

Last edited by orca15; 09-06-2021 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:04 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

If you do the Nürburgring route: Visit Burg Eltz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eltz_Castle

By the way, you can book a fun dinner at Cochem Castle - never tried it myself but I'd like to.

https://reichsburg-cochem.de/knights-meal/?lang=en

Quick Reply: Rhine and Mosel Valley vs. Swiss Alps