Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Importing into Europe

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 10:20 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Importing into Europe

Does anyone importing a car into Europe, do they have to pay 20-30% duty tax (VAT)?
Old 03-13-2021, 04:34 PM
ragerard
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Importing into Europe

I looked into bringing my Panamera over to France and was strongly discouraged. Unless you are bringing it in as part of a shipment to establish permanent residence over there, you pay a 15% duty on the European value plus a 20% VAT on the total. Then, the cost of compliance with EU regulations is at least 10K Euros. Finally, according to Porsche, things like the GPS, Car Connect, etc. may not work properly. Other than that, it's a piece of cake
Old 05-03-2021, 10:50 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, you will pay duties and VAT. And depending on the country, you will pay what they determine the value to be... Germany, for example could care less about your invoice if deemed to be low..
Old 05-09-2021, 01:59 PM
GBS
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe you would need to provide some more information on your individual case if you want an detail answer.
I'm going to import cars that I purchase in the USA during my stay to Germany. I owned the cars more than 12 months and I'm going to have a permanent residence in Germany.
So I do no need to pay any import duty nor tax at all as they will be declared as personal households or so.

The cars need to pass the TUEV inspection in Germany. Depending on the age of the car and technical equipment you might have to change or add some items, like the rear fog light I did on my 993 and all lights (head and rear) with the so called e-stamp.

Before I can import any item to Germany (I would assume this is the case for all countries in Europe) you would need a permanent address and prove of registration at this address.

You can PM me if you want further information on shipping companies etc.

Old 05-09-2021, 02:09 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by GBS
I believe you would need to provide some more information on your individual case if you want an detail answer.
I'm going to import cars that I purchase in the USA during my stay to Germany. I owned the cars more than 12 months and I'm going to have a permanent residence in Germany.
So I do no need to pay any import duty nor tax at all as they will be declared as personal households or so.

The cars need to pass the TUEV inspection in Germany. Depending on the age of the car and technical equipment you might have to change or add some items, like the rear fog light I did on my 993 and all lights (head and rear) with the so called e-stamp.

Before I can import any item to Germany (I would assume this is the case for all countries in Europe) you would need a permanent address and prove of registration at this address.
Thanks for the info. I was collecting the info for people who were interested in buying my ROW Porsche and wanted to bring the Porsche back into Europe.

Last edited by bcgreen; 05-09-2021 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:54 AM
luxdriver
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This graphic may be useful (for cars less than 30 years old). Older cars have much lower rates.

Old 06-30-2021, 09:54 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GBS

Be Careful... they got me.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:39 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by luxdriver
This graphic may be useful (for cars less than 30 years old). Older cars have much lower rates.

Thanks, might be helpful to anyone buying my car outside the USA.

Quick Reply: Importing into Europe