Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

EDP allocation for Canada

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 01:28 AM
quattro100
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDP allocation for Canada

Hi, I am slightly confused with how the allocation for EDP works.

I am looking to take delivery of the base 992 at the beginning of April 2020. Went to two of the local dealers. Dealer A has a very experienced EDP sales who is very good. But he told me there is close to 8 guys with deposit paid in front of me (not EDP). They will likely not get 8 allocation from Porsche so my luck depends on whether some of these guys walk away. Also subject to Porsche Canada and Germany approval for EDP time request. In short, I won't know till sometime in Jan.... I am a bit concern as Jan seemed like too close to the actual day for me to do the planning for the trip with my wife. Shouldn't they at least know allocation sooner than that. (I have given them refundable deposit)

Dealer B sales hasn't done much EDP (I suspect) based on our conversation. He told me upon paying deposit, I will get confirmation from Porsche NA(Canada) in 2 weeks. Still fully refundable on deposit until V250 in Jan.

What am I missing? It sounded very different.

What is your experience on confirming allocation and time requested for EDP?

Thanks alot.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:52 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,045 Posts

I've done two EDs (but from USA). It's a bit tricky on timing. The first, I got an allocation and then a ED date. The second, I got an ED date first and then an allocation (because I now knew how the ED program worked and who to talk to in Atlanta)

Dealers prefer not to sell EDs because they have to pay a $3K fee to PCNA. It eats into their profit margin. So the first dealer's preference is to sell to the 8 guys in front of you......and frankly, that 8 could turn into more and you wont even know if they jumped them ahead of line from you. Sounds like there is no allocation for you yet or all the allocations are taken.

It sounds like from your email that the second dealer actually has an allocation for you? Do you have a commission number etc? If so, your are good and you can schedule your ED.

You can email PCNA directly (assuming Canada is using the same point of contact in Atlanta?) TIerra is a contractor working for PCNA (as of 1 month ago) because the previous long term coordinator moved to Florida.

Tierra Howell
European Delivery Coordinator
Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
One Porsche Drive
Atlanta, GA 30354
phone: 770.290.3500
email: European.Delivery@porsche.us
Old 09-13-2019, 12:24 AM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

I live in Vancouver and did the ED in 2017 through Porsche Vancouver. Its tricky as you have to get the allocation first, then the ED date. For me, my timing was flexible, so it didn't matter that much on the exact ED date. I recommend working with a salesperson who has done this before.

it might be different as you are looking for a 992.

Don't lose hope, the ED is a lifelong memory that you will not forget!
Old 09-13-2019, 11:48 PM
quattro100
Track Day

Thanks guys. Spoke to dealer B again. He is confident the can get me allocation within 2 weeks. And April EDP shouldn't be a problem given it is just Sept now. This is a base C2 I am looking at. You guys think is ok to give deposit at 2 dealers and as soon as dealer B confirm allocation, I take back the deposit from another dealer. Do I need to let PCNA (canada know)? Not sure if they care my name shows up twice in the EDP request...

I really wanted to remove as much uncertainty as possible given I need to really plan it out and take vacation days at my work etc.... Final confirmation in Jan for April confirmation seemed to cut too close. If they said no in Jan, I don't have plan B
Old 09-15-2019, 12:17 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

In case you need a Plan B I’ll offer this... I’ve done EU delivery twice with Audi and am a big supporter of it. Audi has since cancelled the program for US/Canada customers which was disappointing as I can’t think of a better way to build brand loyalty

For Porsche I’ve not done EU delivery because (as noted above) they don’t make it easy. Almost borderline discouraging it at least for North American customers.

The Plan B is using the Porsche Drive program. I did this last year and in essence it’s a rental program. You can specify the car you want (911, 718, Panamera, etc...) and from various locations in Germany and Switzerland you can pick the car up. Granted it’s not your car, but it’s close and you don’t have the hassle of worrying about parking, rock chips, break-in procedures or shipping return times. Just show up and drive off.

The one one downside, besides the cost, is you have to return the car to the same location you pick up from. Which, depending on travel plans, may not be very convenient.

Last year I asked for a 991.2 GTS to mirror my recent purchase, but instead was given a 991.2 C4S cab. My first extended time in a cab and have to admit I was smitten.

Besides Stuttgart they have locations in Geneva and outside Lucern. The Lucern location is convenient to all the great passes like Furka, Nufenen , Susten, etc...

Also I know they are renting the 992 currently

Food for thought....
Old 09-17-2019, 11:45 AM
quattro100
Track Day

Thanks guys. I booked the Porsche Drive fully loaded 4S as well for plan B. I am still hopefully on the 992 (still can't believe ordering a base c2 7 months ahead of delivery can be this difficult). Hopefully all goes well. I always wanted a proper EDP. Called it a child dream, it is something I wanna complete before the big 40!
Old 09-18-2019, 04:54 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

That's a good plan. I was the same way with my ED with Audi. I tell people the 3 things I most grateful for are the following: 1) Meeting and marrying my wife 2) Going to college/graduate school and 3) Doing Euro delivery.

Then I say those are in no particular order. For some reason my wife doesn't find that as funny as I do
Old 09-18-2019, 10:22 PM
quattro100
Track Day

Monetthecat, by the way, where did you put your luggage while driving the cabrio? Can you still put a few bags at the back with the top down?
Old 09-19-2019, 01:30 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

I purchased 2 (two) 28" Tumi hard shell spinner suitcases. One fit perfectly in the frunk with no room to spare

The other fit fine behind the front seats and didn't interfere with the soft top operation. Although it did move around some at first then I stuffed some towels around it and that helped stabilize

I got them from Nordstrom Rack at a great discount. I could get enough clothing in them for 2 weeks
Old 09-19-2019, 05:20 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

I should mention the 2 suitcases where for my wife and I. Didn't want anyone to think I alone needed both
Old 09-26-2019, 12:07 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

I took two carry-on size soft shell pieces, 22 inch and both fit in the frunk perfectly. During my trip, I picked up 2 soft nylon tote bags for all the clothes I bought and fit those on the rear seats.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:42 AM
quattro100
Track Day

Looks like I might be getting the edp confirm in the next few weeks! Question for you guys in BC, the manual option on the s model is tempting however it will make the price jump to 20 percent tax range. Dealer can do a 12 month lease and explained to me that I will still save some when I buy back the car at 125k in 12 months. Does it make sense? Anyone here done that?

thanks!
Old 11-14-2019, 12:32 AM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

I would definitely go with the manual option, it is way more fun to drive and cheaper than the PDK.

Sounds like you are going with a lease, so your payments will include the 20% tax if the purchase price >$150K. If you go with a shorter lease period, I guess you will only pay the luxury tax for 12 months, then buy back at $125k, thus saving the extra luxury tax.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:56 PM
RB888
AutoX

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone from the Toronto area used Pfaff for PPF or ceramic pre-delivery? They use Xpel Stoneguard film and Xpel Fusion Ceramic Coating. Appreciate comments on your experience.

Last edited by RB888; 04-06-2021 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: EDP allocation for Canada