Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Next-Gen Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 04:40 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
Okay, let's say I'm an explorer and travel the world. I have my car registered and insured in one of the EU countries. My insurance coverage is valid for the whole world. If I wanted to drive from Alaska thru Canada and US all the way down to Chile, should I register the car in every country I visit? :-)))
I know it's hard to fathom but I can get into a car and be in 4 different countries within 4 hours right now (from Slovakia to Poland, through Czech republic to Austria and then Hungary and back to Slovakia). Who can stop me from doing that same for the US? Noone.

You want an MY 2019 cayenne sooner than anyone else? Start thinking outside the box.
EU Countries are like US states. One who lives in the US can't buy an EU spec car to use in the US.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:41 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by worf928

I don’t know for sure, but I suspect that lupo.sk is ‘kind of’ correct. I think foreign government embassy vehicles, in limited numbers, are allowed to be used in the U.S.

However, I am virtually certain that an individual or private company cannot just ship-in a car they or it owns without going through the import process. For a 25-year-old car it is - I have read - a navigable, albeit expensive, process, but for a 0-year-old car I can’t see it happening.

On the other hand if you ‘know a guy’ at each stage of the process you could probably get it out of the port. After that? I wonder what would happen the first time the PIWIS is plugged in or the first time it’s stopped by Buford T Justice?
-
Foreign diplomats run US Diplomatic plates. Federal and state laws do differ, but better to stay on the safe side.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:01 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
EU Countries are like US states. One who lives in the US can't buy an EU spec car to use in the US.
Okay, I know nothing then.

I have multiple companies in the US, various EU countries etc. I imported multitude of cars and various other, let's say, "hard to import" things both ways.
There are MANY grey areas, just consult a good lawyer and prepare a good cover story.
NOTHING and I repeat - NOTHING - can stop you from creating a shell company in any EU country, buy your MY19 cayenne there, register and then ship to the US to do a 12 month roadtrip that you will document for your online blog. End of story. Take what you want from this, I'm done.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:02 PM
user 83838290
Banned

You guys are like a freakin easter european bureaucrat. Finding a multitude of problems instead of finding solutions to them.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:56 AM
HiAperture
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Because what you are suggesting would be worthwhile to say, bring the 959 into the country and make it legal like Bill Gates did with Show and Display. But to pay more money to bring $100k luxury SUV into the country, probably have no warranty for it, have parts on it specific to EU standards that may make it difficult to service later, have it in the country at best on tenuous terms, and who knows how you would resell it besides sending it back to the EU. All to just have the car for maybe 6 months before anyone else and then see 3 parked at every Starbucks after that 6 months?

Are there non-US cars in the US, that have even managed to get titles and tags here somehow? Yes. Take this Bmw 116i euro hatchback, never sold in the US, that has been bouncing around the internet for years, and was on BringaTrailer until the controversy over its legality became too much and they had to take it down: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-116i-e87-rhd/

But the US can and does confiscate, impound, and destroy illegally imported cars like Land Rover Defenders, Skylines, ect every year. Here is a video of one such Defender being mercilessly torn apart:

I don't think anyone here is arguing that is a good thing, responding to your bureaucrat comment, but that is the law as it stands, and if they take your car away you are straight out of luck, have no recourse, and aren't getting a dollar back for your trouble.

That is why I said NO at the onset of this and that is still the right answer.

OP, just tell your friend to buy a Panamera Sport Turismo and enjoy that until the new car comes in.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:12 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Parts are exactly the same for EU, US ... the only difference being tail lights and the way headlights and the way DRL behaves. Cayenne, q7 and touareg are all made at the same factory.

Anyways - I'm not suggesting to import it and get a title (altough that could be the end result), just keep it on EU tags, much like the bmw you posted.

Whatever the reason, noone can impound a properly EU registered vehicle and destroy it if all paperwork is okay. BTDT with US cars in the EU. BTDT with very specific equipment in the US. Once you declare the car is not in the country to stay, just for some temporary time - hence my "blog suggestion" (which can be extended), there's no way in hell it's going to get impounded. Same goes for airplanes flying under SVK registration in the US "rented" from a EU company. Ships, manufacturing equipment that does not meet US standards and I could go on.

You are very right it does not make any sense, I completely agree. But the question was not "does it make sense to buy a MY19 cayenne a year early?"

But even if OP went the way I described, the EU company (car owner) could always sell the car to some asian / african country to continue its world expedition over there ;-) and maybe even with a profit since the markup for cayennes in asia is HUGE and they try to source them all over the world.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:32 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
Parts are exactly the same for EU, US ... the only difference being tail lights and the way headlights and the way DRL behaves. Cayenne, q7 and touareg are all made at the same factory.

Anyways - I'm not suggesting to import it and get a title (altough that could be the end result), just keep it on EU tags, much like the bmw you posted.

Whatever the reason, noone can impound a properly EU registered vehicle and destroy it if all paperwork is okay. BTDT with US cars in the EU. BTDT with very specific equipment in the US. Once you declare the car is not in the country to stay, just for some temporary time - hence my "blog suggestion" (which can be extended), there's no way in hell it's going to get impounded. Same goes for airplanes flying under SVK registration in the US "rented" from a EU company. Ships, manufacturing equipment that does not meet US standards and I could go on.

You are very right it does not make any sense, I completely agree. But the question was not "does it make sense to buy a MY19 cayenne a year early?"

But even if OP went the way I described, the EU company (car owner) could always sell the car to some asian / african country to continue its world expedition over there ;-) and maybe even with a profit since the markup for cayennes in asia is HUGE and they try to source them all over the world.
Asian countries sell Porsche Cayennes at MSRP, except MSRP is at least 2x. Most in those countries buy from the Porsche dealerships at the higher price, and importing grey-market vehicles isn't worthwhile.

Quick Reply: Next-Gen Cayenne?