Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Next-Gen Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 02:44 PM
Dave_D
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Next-Gen Cayenne?

A friend of mine is anxious to purchase a next-gen Cayenne and asked me about purchasing one from Europe and shipping it here to the U.S. I don't know anything about this. Can it be done? Is it expensive?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:36 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_D
A friend of mine is anxious to purchase a next-gen Cayenne and asked me about purchasing one from Europe and shipping it here to the U.S. I don't know anything about this. Can it be done? Is it expensive?

Any advice is appreciated.
To buy a US spec car you have to buy through a US dealer then could select Euro Delivery then have it shipped back. Military for some marques (like BMW) have special programs where they can buy and drive while overseas on duty.) As I understand it US spec next gen Cayenne's won't be built till close to end of this year/early next.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:32 PM
HiAperture
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As in can you go buy a car from a European dealership, put it on a ship, and bring it to the US then register it here? No.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:49 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Why would you even consider it. Porsches in eu are significantly more expensive than in the us. The difference between EU and US pricing is sometimes as high as 20% for certain models.

Apart from the price issue, it's doable, just gotta pay for shipping and be able to prove that car is built to US spec. Most cars nowadays are "world cars" but check with someone who's got experience importing exotic cars to the US. I know the process for Europe and it's not friendly in any way. Thia will ramp up the price even more...
Old 06-02-2018, 03:41 PM
Dave_D
Instructor

Good info.

Thanks, guys!
Old 06-03-2018, 09:44 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Buy through US dealer. Check-off European Delivery. Done.

If staying more than 15 days (IIRC) you have to pay for additional insurance.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:54 PM
HiAperture
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think, correct me if I am wrong, what everyone is missing is that Porsche will not be delivering US next gen Cayennes until 2019 calendar year. So it sounds like this person wants to jump the line by buying a European car in Europe and bringing it to the US. From what I have read about bringing new European vehicles to the US, even if some version of them is or will be on sale here, if is not downright impossible it certainly isn’t worth the hassle.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:58 AM
Dave_D
Instructor

Originally Posted by HiAperture
I think, correct me if I am wrong, what everyone is missing is that Porsche will not be delivering US next gen Cayennes until 2019 calendar year. So it sounds like this person wants to jump the line by buying a European car in Europe and bringing it to the US.
That is correct. The underlying question is whether or not one can own one in the U.S. before they’re officially released here.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:26 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave_D
That is correct. The underlying question is whether or not one can own one in the U.S. before they’re officially released here.
Why not. I can buy one in the EU, ship it over on my EU plates and drive in the US. Then after a year I can transfer it to my US company and voila, you got yourself an EU pig in the US.
Works both ways US -> EU and vice versa.

The only unknown for me is DOT compliance but as I said before, most cars today are "world cars" (especially premium brands) so DOT / EU compliance should not be an issue.

If OP REALLY wants MY19 sooner than everyone else, easiest thing to do is to create a shell limited liability company in some EU member state to register the car and ship it over to the US and drive on EU plates. Noone can prohibit you from driving around on a properly internationally registered car with insurance. Later the same company can sell you the car and you can import it and go through the hassle of getting it titled etc.

How many times you get pulled over and how much you pay in legal fees if some deputy decides to give you a hard time is another question. Your EU license plates will stand out like a green hat with an orange bell in the US.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:44 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
Why not. I can buy one in the EU, ship it over on my EU plates and drive in the US. Then after a year I can transfer it to my US company and voila, you got yourself an EU pig in the US.
Works both ways US -> EU and vice versa.

The only unknown for me is DOT compliance but as I said before, most cars today are "world cars" (especially premium brands) so DOT / EU compliance should not be an issue.

If OP REALLY wants MY19 sooner than everyone else, easiest thing to do is to create a shell limited liability company in some EU member state to register the car and ship it over to the US and drive on EU plates. Noone can prohibit you from driving around on a properly internationally registered car with insurance. Later the same company can sell you the car and you can import it and go through the hassle of getting it titled etc.

How many times you get pulled over and how much you pay in legal fees if some deputy decides to give you a hard time is another question. Your EU license plates will stand out like a green hat with an orange bell in the US.
You can't do any of what you are proposing in reality. Only works from US to EU.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:11 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Originally Posted by Andial
You can't do any of what you are proposing in reality. Only works from US to EU.
I've seen at least a dozen cars in FL with EU tags. And they are there since at least 2012.

Who can stop me from driving an EU registered car in the US? Show me the law that says my EU company can not lend me a car and I can not drive it in the US.

I'm not saying it's not thin ice. I'm showing a path.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:52 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
I've seen at least a dozen cars in FL with EU tags. And they are there since at least 2012.

Who can stop me from driving an EU registered car in the US? Show me the law that says my EU company can not lend me a car and I can not drive it in the US.

I'm not saying it's not thin ice. I'm showing a path.
Fake EU tags. US Government and local LEOs can stop you, let alone even being able to import the car in the first place. I am no lawyer, so I can't quote any laws, but it is illegal.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:55 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Fake EU tags. US Government and local LEOs can stop you, let alone even being able to import the car in the first place. I am no lawyer, so I can't quote any laws, but it is illegal.
I don’t know for sure, but I suspect that lupo.sk is ‘kind of’ correct. I think foreign government embassy vehicles, in limited numbers, are allowed to be used in the U.S.

However, I am virtually certain that an individual or private company cannot just ship-in a car they or it owns without going through the import process. For a 25-year-old car it is - I have read - a navigable, albeit expensive, process, but for a 0-year-old car I can’t see it happening.

On the other hand if you ‘know a guy’ at each stage of the process you could probably get it out of the port. After that? I wonder what would happen the first time the PIWIS is plugged in or the first time it’s stopped by Buford T Justice?
-
Old 06-06-2018, 04:01 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Okay, let's say I'm an explorer and travel the world. I have my car registered and insured in one of the EU countries. My insurance coverage is valid for the whole world. If I wanted to drive from Alaska thru Canada and US all the way down to Chile, should I register the car in every country I visit? :-)))
I know it's hard to fathom but I can get into a car and be in 4 different countries within 4 hours right now (from Slovakia to Poland, through Czech republic to Austria and then Hungary and back to Slovakia). Who can stop me from doing that same for the US? Noone.

You want an MY 2019 cayenne sooner than anyone else? Start thinking outside the box.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:02 PM
user 83838290
Banned

And no, the tags were not fake, they even had smog check and MOT stickers on them. I double checked. And no US tags either.

Quick Reply: Next-Gen Cayenne?