Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

August Leipzig Euro Delivery Macan GTS confirmed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 06:59 PM
SpineConnection
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking August Leipzig Euro Delivery Macan GTS confirmed!

So, I got a call from Alex @ PCNA giving me some dates for ED on August,
picked 8/14, which worked for me and my wife's schedule.

Going to stay in Europe from 8/11-8/22.

We will fly out from IAD (Washington DC) to CDG (Paris), and tour Paris from 8/11-8/13.
fly into Leipzig 8/13, and pick up the GTS 8/14.

DRIVE DRIVE DRIVER
(https://goo.gl/maps/NKsYeEFkQS12)

and drop the GTS off to Stuttgart on 8/20,
fly back to Paris 8/20 and to Washington DC 8/22.

We are concentrating on Germany roads (Romantic roads, Black forest), Venice, Swiss (passes), and back to Germany.

Let me know if I am missing out some roads / areas that I am passing by.

TIA!
Old 05-18-2018, 07:14 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Bavaria is great. It's a lot to cover in six days.

Priorities for me would be Salzburg (Austria), Rothenburg ob der Tauber, and Neuschwanstein if it was my first trip. YMMV.

I think with six or seven days you might want to trim it back a bit, but then again, I really like to take things slow and easy.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:05 AM
SpineConnection
Instructor

UPDATED: https://goo.gl/maps/xWmHvbc3rBn

Please let me know if I need to add more on the route.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Semitone
Pro

I'm going to assume you are not talking to me.

I am picking up my car this Wednesday at Leipzig and doing a Saxony/Bavaria/Switzerland/Black Forest ( including Strasbourg) route and doing it in 30 days. I've already been to most of the places and I am even cutting out Nuremberg, Munich and Zurich to save time. I'm also not counting the days I spend in Stuttgart after the road trip for resting and checking out museums such as Mercedes Benz and Porsche. I wouldn't even consider Venice. You need a 5-7 days there alone to do it justice, IMO.

If you are realistically going to do some sight seeing, hiking and culture/museum trips you are going to need to do a lot less than averaging five hours a day driving.

Keep in mind, the romantic road is not a "road" so to speak. It is a tourist route with a lot of places to visit. I think the drive itself is on the dull side. It is just space between points.

Last edited by Semitone; 05-24-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:03 PM
SpineConnection
Instructor

Lol, yes you! Haha
most swiss/black forest are driving focused (7-10 hrs of day), but Romantic roads, castles, Venice Etc, tourism focused.

I wish i had luxury of staying more than 2 weeks max.

But best of luck to you, update with lots of info when you are back!
Old 05-19-2018, 05:44 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its too much, there is no time left for touristy thinks on the places you visit, half day or more you will sit in the car and drive. Maybe that’s what you are after, and then the trip works, but would skip Venice, driving in that part of Italy is rather dull. If you average 60mph you are good, outside Germany probably lower.

Best
Sven

Last edited by Sven76; 05-20-2018 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:09 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

We have done ED twice, once with Porsche and once with Audi. I think you are overbooked. You will be driving and not taking time to smell the roses. I would cut back on the Italy part and include more Bavaria. There is a lot of tourist traffic in Europe in August, most take vacations then.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:53 PM
SpineConnection
Instructor

Ahh, i got cha. For us, it was the driving around europe was priority, than touring as we “toured” europe before. Venice was added because my wife has not been there before.

Nonetheless, thanks for valueable informations and we will take that into consideration.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:17 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,191 Likes on 549 Posts

Way too much diving. I agree that Venice is not worth the detour. It will be packed with tourists. I did a Macan GTS ED pickup in Leipzig last September 6th. We drove the autobahn to Wurzburg and the Romantic Highway (a few charming towns, but a forgettable driving route). Enjoyed Bavaria and Swiss Alps (Davos, St Moritz and the pass between them), the Splugen Pass into Italy and drive to Bellagio (a truly harrowing drive- but fun), boring autostrada to Tuscany (but 6 weeks there in Montalcino storming the gravel roads throughout the Val d'Orcia), back north bypassing Venice into the Italian Alps (Cortina and the incredible Dolomite Alps), then Austria (Zell am See and a cool resort in Larmoos), finally into Stuttgart to drop it off in Sindelfingen for USA shipping. Total miles: 3100 Total time: 6 weeks Smiles per gallon: plenty
The Macan performed awesomely at autobahn speeds, Alpine passes, Tuscan agricultural gravel and hilly/twisty secondary roads and was easy to park with the Park Assist cameras and folding mirrors.
PM me if you want more info or advice.
We absolutely loved driving it in every condition and road- especially after break-in in SPORT PLUS mode!
My build:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
My Macan Build Sheet.pdf (57.4 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 05-21-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:44 AM
Semitone
Pro

As long as others have jumped in I'll come back and be more explicit with my two cents. If you've been to Europe before you know what you are up against with sites and times. I don't want to be presumptuous but...

If your wife has never been to Venice in the past then I think it would be a shame to spend less than three days there. From your schedule it looks like you may not even have time to overnight there. I agree with others that mid summer could be hell with the crowds. Last time I went it was in mid winter with light snow ( I'll do almost anything to avoid crowds) and I still felt like there were too many people. ( By the way, I think Bavaria is also perfect in the winter with the Christmas markets)

If I had two weeks, it would be:

1 week Paris, 1 week Bavaria...I would cut out Switzerland, Black Forest, Italy. I'd stick with Salzburg and Munich and plenty of other sites in the area.

On the other hand, I prefer driving on tracks ( I couldn't care less about autobahn straight line driving). Plenty of curvy back roads where I am from and I consider driving just a way to get from point A to point B with some scenery even if I own many sports cars. The museums, architecture, castles, cathedrals. medieval towns would dictate my trip.

Then when I got home I would cruise the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Obviously, your plan sounds significantly different but just wanted to suggest an alternative.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:05 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

One option.... Out of Venice head toward Cortina and from their head toward Lienz. From Cortina to Lienz is a beautiful drive. 2 lanes through Italian forests that goes on forever.

From Lienz you can travel North toward Zell am See and take the Grossglockner pass. Admittedly its heavily traveled, but undeniably gorgeous. Once over the pass head to Salzburg. The trip from Cortina to Salzburg going that route is around 4 hours and that included stop off at the top of Grossglockner for pics and drinks.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:19 AM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone
If your wife has never been to Venice in the past then I think it would be a shame to spend less than three days there. From your schedule it looks like you may not even have time to overnight there.

If I had two weeks, it would be:

1 week Paris, 1 week Bavaria...I would cut out Switzerland, Black Forest, Italy. I'd stick with Salzburg and Munich and plenty of other sites in the area.
^^ That. Other than I personally feel 2 days in Venice are fine, but just overnight or spending three hours won’t work. Also think 3 days Paris are fine, gives you more time to go to Bavaria or Austria /South Tyrolia. Black Forrest can be added for 1-2 days before the car is dropped...
Old 05-21-2018, 02:29 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,191 Likes on 549 Posts

You know, on second thought, I would advise you to do whatever itinerary makes sense to you. You are in Europe to drive YOUR car on those roads. If your intent is cultural, with unlimited time, then touring individual cities with multiple day stays makes more sense. IMO, the intent of a Euro Delivery is to use your own vehicle while experiencing legal 100mph+ speeds on the autobahn and the high mountain passes of the Alps. You are there to drive- so drive. I just put 7500 + miles on my ED Macan GTS, 3100 in Europe, then an alternate delivery to Atlanta vice Honolulu. We mostly stayed one night, and sometimes two, at destinations along a meandering route through the US Southeast and Southwest. We drove through 7 National Parks, but did not stop and camp at any of them. The journey is the point, not the individual destinations, right? (Of course we took months to drive the southern US.)
Old 05-22-2018, 07:24 PM
SpineConnection
Instructor

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
You know, on second thought, I would advise you to do whatever itinerary makes sense to you. You are in Europe to drive YOUR car on those roads. If your intent is cultural, with unlimited time, then touring individual cities with multiple day stays makes more sense. IMO, the intent of a Euro Delivery is to use your own vehicle while experiencing legal 100mph+ speeds on the autobahn and the high mountain passes of the Alps. You are there to drive- so drive. I just put 7500 + miles on my ED Macan GTS, 3100 in Europe, then an alternate delivery to Atlanta vice Honolulu. We mostly stayed one night, and sometimes two, at destinations along a meandering route through the US Southeast and Southwest. We drove through 7 National Parks, but did not stop and camp at any of them. The journey is the point, not the individual destinations, right? (Of course we took months to drive the southern US.)
this is exactly what I want to do. I will probably go to Europe again later on my life with my wife and hopefully with kids to do the tour etc. Then, I might have luxury to take couple weeks off and do the proper Euro-trip (educational) while doing Cayenne ED in 2030. but, this time I want to do more of driving.

We are staying two nights at Venice, and two nights at Swiss. other cities/countries, we are just "driving thru". Three nights in Paris total, 4 nights in Germany total.

Thanks for the input on routing this epic "driving oriented" ED!
Old 05-23-2018, 02:18 AM
Space Gray
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's quite a bit of driving, but as others have said it's your vacation. Since you seem to like mountains, you won't be far from Zermatt where you can get a view of Matterhorn. You'll have to drive to the next town over as Zermatt is car free zone. You park in Tasch and take the train to Zermatt.
Also, no Neuschwanstein while in Bavaria? I see it's not convenient to the route you're taking.
The Autobahn out of Leipzig is boring and from my recollection largely unrestricted as it's lightly traveled, especially if you're headed towards Berlin.
Enjoy your travels. I think ED is great.

Quick Reply: August Leipzig Euro Delivery Macan GTS confirmed!