Notices

Driving through Lime Rock CTT

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 12:59 PM
THense
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving through Lime Rock CTT

I'm heading from Boston to New Jersey next week an was thinking of driving through Lime Rock CT and taking in some scenic routes. Does anyone know the area and recommend some routes and stops?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:49 AM
MrFukengruven
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very familiar with Lime Rock as are many other members on here. Anyone will tell you the roads are long and winding, with great views everywhere. Roads are normally uncrowded so there shouldn't be too much traffic to worry about. I am up at Lime Rock basically every other week or so doing coverage for organizations. Every time I drive up, I enjoy the roads.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Are the roads around Lime Rock heavily patrolled? What are the speed limits?

I'm also thinking about driving to the area to find some twisty roads which aren't littered with traffic.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:44 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 48 Posts

THense and Marine Blue,

I would try and call the local chamber of commerce and ask them about maps of the local historic roads in the area (also AAA should be able to help here) and ask about scenic stops along the way. 9, 8 and 7 are all fun driving roads but there are some interconnecting roads that are also worth the ride as well.

If time is not a concern then I would also divert up into Southern VT in the Manchester area and get on 313, 7 and 7A - 313 is one of my top five - two lanes both directions, banked for the truckers along a nice sweeping river - 3rd and 4th gear in a turbo.

If you get off 90 to 91 then into VT onto 9 onto Kelly Stand Road onto 313 follow it into NY then down 22 to 44 into CT on 7 again you will have made a nice loop and end up in the Canaan / Limerock area - you can then take 7 all the way to the Merritt and back to Jersey. If I remember correctly in the Kent area of CT you can get off of 7 on South Kent Road and then take Bull Bridge Road (an old historic one lane bridge) back onto 7 again.

Only caution is check with VT chambers about road closures, etc due to Hurricane back in 2011 or 2010 - they had alot of wash outs and I have not been up there in a couple of years.

That route above will add alot of time to your travel but if you are not in a rush and all the roads in VT are open you will have one fun drive. Again call the local chambers for other important historic roads in the area. Oh yeah bring a radar detector.

Enjoy!!

T2

Quick Reply: Driving through Lime Rock CTT