Notices

Removal of front number plate in NJ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 10:15 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal of front number plate in NJ?

For those people out there that live in NJ how many of you drive around without the front numberplate? I think the big square thing they make you put on is super ugly - which makes me want to remove it - but I would be concerned about drawing more attention from the police than I already get. :rallyes:

Opinions?

Thanks!

Barry
Old 11-19-2004, 11:08 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,272 Posts

I couldn't agree with you more.

The plates in the front look like cr@p. I use my car as a weekend toy and show it several times a year, I use that as an excuse. I find that most of the time I do not get hasseled. Over the past 25 years I have omitted my plate on the front of the car. I decided it is a chance worth taking. I only got a ticket twice and it has been a while. Back then the fine was like $75 now I hear it is closer to $250. I still think it is worth a chance.

I find the only ones that give you a hard time are the small town cops that have nothing better to do then bust chops. Most of the time I worry about more important things like speeding tickets. You can always rubber band your front plate to the visor and if you get pulled over flip the visor down and tell them that your braket got damaged and are waiting for a new one to come in as they are back ordered.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:06 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

You will get a ticket!

I had been in possession of my Porsche for 30 min MAX. Driving home from the dealer with a temp tag in the back window on the NJTP and POW, I get pulled over. I didn't get a ticket but he pulled me over as he didn't see the temp tag from the front and thought I was driving without front tags.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:50 PM
spyderman
Instructor

I live in jersey, and I dont drive with my front plate on at all. ive only gotten one ticket for it,and that was because the cop was trying to give me a hard time. every other time ive gotten pulled over they havent said anything about it.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:29 PM
rmani
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

i have 2 friends that run no front plate and have been doing so for a couple of years now and have never had any problems. BMWs are a little more inconspicuous than Porsches though. You can always try it and see what happens, if you get pulled over a couple of times put the plate on.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:47 PM
grizzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its all about flying under the radar-muhahhahahaha
No front plate on my Porsche,BMW, MINI(sold), Acura(sold).
Mike
Old 01-03-2005, 02:59 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. Since I already have...ahem..a few points (mostly picked up on the bike) I really don't want to draw any more attention to myself.

Your car was looking great yesterday. Almost made me want to get stuck into doing a really good job cleaning mine instead of just getting all the salt off. Almost...I did at least clean the leather, windows and get rid of most of the water spots after you left.

Barry
Old 01-04-2005, 11:06 AM
grizzy
Instructor

Yeah I got pinched 2 months ago in Ridgewood 46 in 25 in the family SUV of all cars--4 point $250--but I have a few connections and got it down to zero points and $383 in fines and court fees.---Its not what you know but who you know (sometimes)
Mike
Old 01-04-2005, 07:41 PM
spyderman
Instructor

hey, I live right near ridgewood and I got nabed going through the center of town with no plate on the front. the cop was trying to be funny and was explaining to me that they dont give you two so you can keep one as a spare(ha ha ha) he was so cheesy. the tickets only 40 bucks so its not big deal, its just annoying
Old 01-05-2005, 09:56 AM
grizzy
Instructor

Yeah when I went to court to plead my case and pay the fine --I was with 100 other people paying fines instead of points--Let me tell you Ridgewood took in $10k in tickets--thats alot of money for a town--HUGE revenue!!!!
Mike
Old 01-05-2005, 10:45 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

You know it is funny that I never really had a problem but one of the times I did, many years ago, was in Ridgewood. The other town I believe was North Caldwell.

Just coincidence?
Old 01-06-2005, 11:54 AM
grizzy
Instructor

I think NOT
Mike
btw love ur color
Old 01-06-2005, 03:14 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Mike,

Thanks,

The 40th is a beauty how do you like it and do you feel the extra power over the stock 996?

So what are you saying, Ridgewood cops need something to keep themselves busy with other than harassing people like you and me. I find most of these smaller wealthier towns really like to bust chops. Come down to Hoboken and they could care less. Even in Montclair they don't say anything but I can always see the eyes looking when I am in N Caldwell or Ridgewood or any of these towns, looking for extra $$ for the months quota I guess. I find if I sit close to the person in front of me and look the opposite direction they usually leave me alone.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:10 PM
spyderman
Instructor

My cars attracts a lot of attention, most of the time they dont even look at the front plate. I got pulled over on newyears day and didnt have a front plate on, and the cop didnt even notice. I guess ridgewood cops dont have any thing better to do.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:24 PM
grizzy
Instructor

In terms of power--only test drove a regular 996 so not much seat time in a "regular" 996. But I can tell you this the car is a beast--on highway 60 or 70mph 4th or 5th gear car pulls like an animal its so smooth and quick once over 30-40ish. Sometimes I find myself giggling over how easy and effortless it is to pull out from behind someone at 60 and pass. Maybe other cars can do this (vettes blah blah blah) but the p-car is perfect for me. The LSD I can feel when i take a corner a little fast but --only the track will make me fully APPRECIATE the cars abilities.
Mike

Quick Reply: Removal of front number plate in NJ?