Notices

Front plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 11:21 PM
dave12x
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Front plate

I am curious what have others do when it comes to a front plate if your car is from NJ/NY as both states require 2 plates. Im located in NNJ and see a lot of cars without front plates. I want to avoid any issues as I drive the car as a daily. Any thoughts others can share with their experience in having or not having front plates would be appreciated!
Old 04-30-2023, 10:27 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,456 Likes on 1,818 Posts

At the track i see a lot of tow hook mounts. Guys pull the plate, insert hook and then switch back for the ride home. They may make one for your car but since u forgot to post what u drive i cant even google 4 u
Old 04-30-2023, 11:51 AM
dave12x
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
At the track i see a lot of tow hook mounts. Guys pull the plate, insert hook and then switch back for the ride home. They may make one for your car but since u forgot to post what u drive i cant even google 4 u
I ordered this tow hook plate holder
https://www.rho-plate.com/products/p...0-rho-plate-v2

I guess my question is to install it or not. I see so many other cars without a front plate. Wondering what others do when they don't install the front plate. It seems very common around me not to have it. I see many Tesla's that don't and they are everywhere.
Old 04-30-2023, 01:27 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

this is another alternative.

https://licenseplatewrap.com/

personally i run a tow hook mount for the plate...
Old 04-30-2023, 06:00 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm in NH a state that requires 2 plates. I have a tow hook mount that is very easy to install and un-install. I'm right on the boarder of MA also a state that requires front and rear plates. In the past if I know I'm going to be driving a lot in NH my home state than I will install the front plate. If I'm going to be driving a lot in MA I leave the front plate off. My reasoning is that I don't think MA can enforce a NH law. I'm probably wrong, but I have never been stopped for it yet. Also I very often don't run the front plate in NH and I have also never been stopped. My car also has very illegal tint and still never stopped. I think unless you are driving like an *** they won't bother you especially in a more expensive car. Its the tuner stuff and **** boxes that they like to harass more again unless you are driving like a dick.
Old 05-01-2023, 06:31 AM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 186 Posts

We are in RI and I never run a front plate on my 996. Never been stopped or questioned. I carry the front plate in my frunk, have a good mount for it on the bumper cover, and a story to go with it were I stopped. But it just uglies up the front look on the car. I was even stopped for speed limit once. Nice guy, didn't write me up. Never said a word about the plate and he radared me from the front.
We do run the front plate on my wife's Boxster though, since she insists, doesn't want to risk being stopped, and the Boxster has a good mounting fixture for the plate.
I think MA is ambiguous on the front plate policy. I believe there are circumstances under which you can run just the back plate.
YMMV as always.
Rick

Last edited by Lady Silver; 05-01-2023 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:33 AM
amiracle91
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

From my understanding, the license plate fine is something that if you get caught speeding they will tack-on. I don’t think they will pull you over for just a missing license plate. I too live in a state where you need two plates but I’m just using my rear plate. The fine for a missing license plate is $70 in my state, so it’s still cheaper than most of the gadgets.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:55 PM
DSC48
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by amiracle91
From my understanding, the license plate fine is something that if you get caught speeding they will tack-on. I don’t think they will pull you over for just a missing license plate. I too live in a state where you need two plates but I’m just using my rear plate. The fine for a missing license plate is $70 in my state, so it’s still cheaper than most of the gadgets.
This is incorrect, at least in NJ. No front plate is a primary offense, although it is rarely enforced.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:45 PM
NE1N-11
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm in NJ and have never had a front tag on my 996 as long as I've owned it... 5 years. Haven't had an issue, yet.
Old 05-02-2023, 11:38 PM
Jeff_
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Massachusetts requires two plates and failure to display a front plate is a primary offense -- $40 civil fine. I have not had any issues running no front plate for the previous eight years.
Old 05-04-2023, 06:37 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 569 Posts

I'm in NY and on most of my cars I don't run a front plate. I get pulled over for it, time to time.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:22 PM
markmark26
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 311 Posts

I don't run front plates on my weekend cars.. Got pulled over in NJ for speeding and expired registration, got ticket for them, but never for missing front plate. 1 day on my way to Brooklyn at 6am Sunday morning, I got pulled over on Staten Island Expressway by a bored NYC cop, for missing front plate and got a ticket. If I don't have to I don't drive to NY anymore, and if I do, I just take the bus to NYC

Quick Reply: Front plate