Notices

PA "Classic" registration

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020 | 04:46 PM
M Pete
Racer

Default PA "Classic" registration

Hi all, I'm new to PA and am going to take possession of a 2003 996TT which I am planning on registering for "Classic" tags. From what I have read this type of registration requires yearly safety inspection, but it does not mention anything about emissions inspection. Can anyone confirm that with "Classic" they only do a visual inspection of the exhaust and do not hook up to the ECU to read O2 or fault codes? Thanks much!
Old 03-03-2020 | 03:32 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Was just talking about this with my zuffenphilly friends.

No emissions inspection with classic plates. As an aside, interestingly, now that all non-OBD2 cars are 25 years old, the only inspection on 95 and down is visual whether you have classic, antique or regular plates. No more sniffer inspections in PA.

Also, if you don’t want classic plates, after the first inspection, if you keep it under 5000 miles a year and wait the full year, you get to be emissions exempt regardless of year so no emissions even on regular plates (I do this with a number of my cars as opposed to antique/classic plates which are supposed to be limited in miles anyway).

So unless you don’t think you can pass one emissions (oh by the way the form asks if you have modified your exhaust ....) classic does not get you much other than I believe it saves you from renewing registration (need to check that). antique with no inspections at all and permanent registration is gold though. I have three cars I need to switch but I am lazy ....
Old 03-03-2020 | 05:01 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

One time registration fee for classic plates has been my experience in PA.
Old 03-03-2020 | 09:13 AM
M Pete
Racer

Thanks much guys! Good info, maybe it's just me but the data and schedule of fees on the DMV is a little confusing.

The issue with this one is swapping tune back and forth. PO, my brother in law, had issues in Colorado with the ready status of the O2 sensors so it would be nice to alleviate all of that headache. The exhaust looks easy enough to switch out at will. The added bonus of one time registration will be nice. I have two other cars I need to register for classic/antique and this will free up some mod money over time. I'm not sure if one of my other cars would pass the OBD or sniff test, and positive that the other will not even pass the visual, that one is in the Antique range though.

Now I have to get up the nerve to wait at the DMV next month. Wish me luck.
Old 03-04-2020 | 02:12 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

You can (and should) just mail in the forms for classic/antique. Also, PA has privatized DMV functions so AAA or the tag places (I know the owner of the Best Auto Tags chain) can do almost any registration stuff. I would not go to the actual DMV unless I had to.
Old 03-04-2020 | 10:14 AM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

It really depends where you get your car inspected, unless they have cracked down it usually isn't hard to pass inspection here. What would probably get you is the 02 sensor readiness but visual if you have something that looks like cats you are usually okay. As for tags, you want to just type in "auto tags" in Google Maps and that is where you want to head to register your car. Not sure where you are located in Bucks but B&K is easy in Doylestown, Fazio is a good one in Lansdale if you are closer to Montco.
Old 03-04-2020 | 01:41 PM
M Pete
Racer

Thanks again. I'll swing by B&K when I get back next week from picking it up.

So concerning the inspection and reg process. I assume that you have to get it inspected prior to registration or the other way around? The only other time I did this process it was completely state run and all at the same time. IF you failed inspection your reg was revoked on the spot and had to reschedule everything....major PITA especially for something minor.
Old 03-04-2020 | 02:47 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M Pete
Thanks again. I'll swing by B&K when I get back next week from picking it up.

So concerning the inspection and reg process. I assume that you have to get it inspected prior to registration or the other way around? The only other time I did this process it was completely state run and all at the same time. IF you failed inspection your reg was revoked on the spot and had to reschedule everything....major PITA especially for something minor.

Anytime I have purchased a car from out of state your register it and then have X amount of days to have it inspected, I forget if its 7, 15, 30...somwhere in there. It should be the same for registering your car as you moved and since you need to have registration and insurance to get your car inspected I would imagine you need to do that first. Once you do it, depending on how you register the car renewals can be done online. You do not lose your registration if it fails inspection, at least I've never heard of that in PA. Have you gotten your PA license yet? I believe you need the ID to register your car in PA. Are you local to Doylestown? There are a few of us around, I've had a few 996s park next to me at the grocery store.
Old 03-04-2020 | 09:36 PM
M Pete
Racer

Originally Posted by motoo344
Anytime I have purchased a car from out of state your register it and then have X amount of days to have it inspected, I forget if its 7, 15, 30...somwhere in there. It should be the same for registering your car as you moved and since you need to have registration and insurance to get your car inspected I would imagine you need to do that first. Once you do it, depending on how you register the car renewals can be done online. You do not lose your registration if it fails inspection, at least I've never heard of that in PA. Have you gotten your PA license yet? I believe you need the ID to register your car in PA. Are you local to Doylestown? There are a few of us around, I've had a few 996s park next to me at the grocery store.
Yes on the PA ID, sat in the Dublin DMV for a little while. We are in Buckingham and looking forward to the Saturday C&Cs over on 611 to start back up now that we are all settled in and the weather is getting better. Or do our own Pcar C&C.
Old 03-04-2020 | 10:54 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Welcome, I’m in Buckingham as well, although right on the edge. Near 202 and 313. I have a blue c2 cab.
Old 03-05-2020 | 05:27 AM
M Pete
Racer

I'm just down the road, LOL. By 202 and 413, at the Peddler's Village billboard. I'll shoot you a note when I get back next week, swing by and check it out if you have time.
The following users liked this post:
motoo344 (03-05-2020)
Old 03-17-2020 | 10:46 PM
dhillman
Rennlist Member

hey you PA Bucks county guys, hello! I'm in Doylestown, just outside the boro. hope to see you at c&c by the Barn when this all gets back to normal.. I'll bring my 05 GT3... see you there. M Pete, I used to live on French Drive!
The following users liked this post:
M Pete (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020 | 04:25 PM
M Pete
Racer

Nice, juts on the other side of the walking path. Are you talking about the C&Cs in front of Starbucks on 611, or a different spot?
Old 03-18-2020 | 04:44 PM
dhillman
Rennlist Member

yes, by the starbucks on 611
Old 03-18-2020 | 05:12 PM
M Pete
Racer

I assume that they start back up around April? Hopefully I will get my car registered next week (waiting on a document form sister-in-law) and then I'll be good to go! I already talked to Zygmunt to do the inspection and he way he talked it is just a "check the block" type thing. I can't wait.

Quick Reply: PA "Classic" registration