Notices

NYC Shop review

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 02:03 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts
Default NYC Shop review

Looked up some places around NYC, 5 boroughs and NJ right over the bridges to NYC.

After calling a few, Bay Diagnostics seemed good. From the time I got there to time I left, all that changed.

From the start, the reception guy Kevin was totally unprofessional, constantly complaining that he's got too many calls, clients are idiots, to having to push a button to open the main gate. Had some stupid joke about Jews, pretty terrible.

Then to getting a simple oil change, only noticed after I drove away that they didn't put the under cover back properly, so there's now a gap in plastics. Didn't feel like going back because the wait there would involve listening to Kevin bitch for another two hours.Definitely not going there again. Will try the NJ shops next if needed.

Formula motorsports that a few have suggested... told me that oil change would be $350 when I called them. Not sure if they're polishing my filter silver and pouring liquid gold instead of oil. I think dealer charges less.

MINHS Auto told me that I needed to schedule an appointment, then come in early morning and leave the car for one day. Was very confused as to why schedule appointment if they only get to your car next day. Also, how freaking long does it take to change oil and reset maintenance interval? This shop had cheaper price than the above two shops.

L & M had the cheapest price but they weren't ready to take on a job. Whomever picked up, said to schedule appointment in advance so they can get parts like the filter.

Euro Motors Garwood wanted my vin and couldn't tell me the cost of oil change without it. Apparently filters could be extremely expensive.

I'll update this if I go to another shop or speak to any of them. For now, stay away from Bay Diagnostics.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:44 AM
kahane18
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I use Formula, quite happy with their service on both my former gt4 and my 991.2. You can negotiate some pricing with Mike, I recently paid $300 for oil change still not cheap but i definitely would not use Bay even though im 3 minutes away and Mihns is a general shop that services all makes. Formula is a place to go if you have any real issues with your P car any P car and I mean ANY. They do accident restorations as well..ask me how I know

Taso at TKX is excellent and less expensive as well if you can get an appointment and willing to schlep to Huntington....
Old 02-05-2019, 12:46 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kahane18
I use Formula, quite happy with their service on both my former gt4 and my 991.2. You can negotiate some pricing with Mike, I recently paid $300 for oil change still not cheap but i definitely would not use Bay even though im 3 minutes away and Mihns is a general shop that services all makes. Formula is a place to go if you have any real issues with your P car any P car and I mean ANY. They do accident restorations as well..ask me how I know

Taso at TKX is excellent and less expensive as well if you can get an appointment and willing to schlep to Huntington....
Very cool, thanks I'll check it out. For the record... I'm ok with paying for things that are worth their value. Like locating an electrical issue in the Porsche or something that requires good knowledge and experience.

Oil changing is not a brain torturing task. I chose to go to a shop claiming to be a P shop in order to check them out for future jobs.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:08 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

"Oil changing is not a brain torturing task"

You've never had a 993, huh?
Old 02-05-2019, 03:10 PM
Stable Energies
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Looked up some places around NYC, 5 boroughs and NJ right over the bridges to NYC.

After calling a few, Bay Diagnostics seemed good. From the time I got there to time I left, all that changed.

From the start, the reception guy Kevin was totally unprofessional, constantly complaining that he's got too many calls, clients are idiots, to having to push a button to open the main gate. Had some stupid joke about Jews, pretty terrible.

Then to getting a simple oil change, only noticed after I drove away that they didn't put the under cover back properly, so there's now a gap in plastics. Didn't feel like going back because the wait there would involve listening to Kevin bitch for another two hours.Definitely not going there again. Will try the NJ shops next if needed.

Formula motorsports that a few have suggested... told me that oil change would be $350 when I called them. Not sure if they're polishing my filter silver and pouring liquid gold instead of oil. I think dealer charges less.

MINHS Auto told me that I needed to schedule an appointment, then come in early morning and leave the car for one day. Was very confused as to why schedule appointment if they only get to your car next day. Also, how freaking long does it take to change oil and reset maintenance interval? This shop had cheaper price than the above two shops.

L & M had the cheapest price but they weren't ready to take on a job. Whomever picked up, said to schedule appointment in advance so they can get parts like the filter.

Euro Motors Garwood wanted my vin and couldn't tell me the cost of oil change without it. Apparently filters could be extremely expensive.

I'll update this if I go to another shop or speak to any of them. For now, stay away from Bay Diagnostics.

Our shop specializes in Porsche, what did you need to get done?

We're about 20 miles west of NYC in Garfield, NJ.

Let's chat!
Old 02-05-2019, 05:56 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Stable Energies
Our shop specializes in Porsche, what did you need to get done?

We're about 20 miles west of NYC in Garfield, NJ.

Let's chat!
Nothing serious as of now, but wouldn't mind having a look at the car to see if I should be saving up for things. Did the oil as precaution since interval was 0 days 0 miles and dealer who sold to me claimed it was changed. Don't mind the drive to Garfield. PM me your address and info, maybe I can drop by on the weekend with other random questions as well.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:00 PM
Santi
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You cannot go wrong with either TKX or with Stable Energies, I have dealt with both of them and am extremely satisfied with their service.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:05 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Checked out the website and map. Site looks serious, directions show 33 miles, 47 min and that's no traffic right now. I'll have to check out anyway at some point.

Thank you all
Old 02-06-2019, 10:10 AM
Stable Energies
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Nothing serious as of now, but wouldn't mind having a look at the car to see if I should be saving up for things. Did the oil as precaution since interval was 0 days 0 miles and dealer who sold to me claimed it was changed. Don't mind the drive to Garfield. PM me your address and info, maybe I can drop by on the weekend with other random questions as well.

Thanks.
Yup sounds good. I'll send over a DM now. We're open Saturdays until 9-1pm, feel free to stop in.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Stable Energies
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Santi
You cannot go wrong with either TKX or with Stable Energies, I have dealt with both of them and am extremely satisfied with their service.

Santi! Getting ready for the season yet?

Thank you for the reco.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:53 PM
Santi
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stable Energies
Santi! Getting ready for the season yet?

Thank you for the reco.
Rob - Anxiously waiting brother!! The vette is sorted and ready.
Like I told Bob the other day at the shop - You guys are one of the truly legit shops in the area because you guys stand behind your product and your work, my entire crew loves you guys.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:11 PM
996C2S
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

kahane18 Thanks for the positive review of Formula Motorsports.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:28 PM
kahane18
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 996C2S
kahane18 Thanks for the positive review of Formula Motorsports.

Happy to post positive reviews when the shop does the right thing for their clients...

All The Best
Old 03-10-2019, 08:44 PM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I am local too and I totally agree about shops nowadays...sometimes these guys treat their customers like we are asking them to do it for free and they're doing us a favor haha! Luckily these cars aren't too bad to work on. There's also a fountain of resources here and in the other forums so if one isn't afraid to get dirty, you can do most maintenance yourself. An oil change isn't too bad either to diy it.
​​​

Quick Reply: NYC Shop review