Notices

Some questions about owning a Cayman in NYC

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 05:41 PM
semtex
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Some questions about owning a Cayman in NYC

First, hello everyone. Nice to be part of the community.

I'm finally in a position in life where I can own my dream car, and am going to take the plunge in 2018. Ahead of that, just doing some research. Apologies if this has been answered, I tried doing a search first:
  1. I am planning on getting the base Cayman with PASM and 20" wheels. However I have heard that the 10mm drop may cause me to scrape the bottom of my car and lip in NYC. I can deal with a stiffer ride, but absolutely do not want to risk damaging the car or worry about speed bumps or steeper garage ramps. Can you tell me if I should avoid PASM and stick with 19" wheels?
  2. I know the dealership will offer me a clear protective coating. Does anyone know if it's worth buying at the dealership or should I do it elsewhere after purchasing the car? What should I expect to pay for a quality job?
  3. Wheel insurance: should I get this from the dealership?
  4. What sort of discount should I be aiming for on the Cayman? Specifically, is there a website I can check that will give me a more up-to-date estimate on what people are paying?
  5. If I pay for the car in cash to avoid financing, will it be possible to get a better discount on the car?
tl;dr: Will a base Cayman with 20" tires and PASM be able to handle leaving this garage without scraping? https://imgur.com/a/WrltM

Thanks!
sem

Last edited by semtex; 10-29-2017 at 11:02 PM. Reason: image attachment
Old 10-30-2017, 01:34 AM
tommy618
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey. I am also in NYC and I will share with you my experience. I don't have a Cayman but I have a 2013 911S on 20".

Speed bumps and driveway entry/exits have been surprisingly drama free. Just go nice and slow and for steeper ones go at an angle.

I would not do any paint protection at the dealer because it costs a lot more and they outsource to other people anyways. There are many options in the tristate area. Costs vary for what you want to do.

I am on my 2nd 911 now in NYC. I bought wheel insurance on my first 911. Didn't use it once, waste of my money. But I am a careful driver.

Discount on new or CPO? There are a lot of information on rennlist already about pricing. Do your research here and on other car buying sites. You can definitely get a discount new or used.

Cash for cheaper, most likely no. Dealers make $$ on financing so it doesn't help them when you pay cash.

I vote no problem on that driveway.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:03 AM
semtex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tommy618
Hey. I am also in NYC and I will share with you my experience. I don't have a Cayman but I have a 2013 911S on 20".

Speed bumps and driveway entry/exits have been surprisingly drama free. Just go nice and slow and for steeper ones go at an angle.

I would not do any paint protection at the dealer because it costs a lot more and they outsource to other people anyways. There are many options in the tristate area. Costs vary for what you want to do.

I am on my 2nd 911 now in NYC. I bought wheel insurance on my first 911. Didn't use it once, waste of my money. But I am a careful driver.

Discount on new or CPO? There are a lot of information on rennlist already about pricing. Do your research here and on other car buying sites. You can definitely get a discount new or used.

Cash for cheaper, most likely no. Dealers make $$ on financing so it doesn't help them when you pay cash.

I vote no problem on that driveway.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Tommy! That makes me feel better since I think the 911S sits even lower than the Cayman.

I am a very careful driver too so will skip wheel insurance.

Was asking about a discount on new. I am going to configure it and have them order it.

Thanks - would be cool to see your car in person some day when I've got my cayman

Cheers,
Sem
Old 10-30-2017, 03:16 AM
semtex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tommy618
Mind pointing me in the right direction on this? When I searched for "Cayman 2018 Dealership Discounts" and other similar terms I am not finding much. There are some websites that give me the average discount like truecar.com but I am not sure how legit those are.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:59 AM
tommy618
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll have to search for terms like msrp, discount, etc.

Or you can start a thread like this:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1000...991-2-gts.html

Truecar is ok. If you are going to order new and you know what you want, I would just email the closest 4-7 dealers in the tristate area with your order. Let them battle it out for your business. It's fall time, harder to sell sports car. They will move on price. Have you considered CPO? Can save big $$ with CPO.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:28 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm in NYC and can offer a few bits of advice:

(1) a Cayman should be find on ingress/egress and speed bumps. Fact of the matter is that if the front lip gets scratched you can repair/replace it down the line. It will be underneath and not visible and won't effect the car at all.

(2) we have terrible roads in particular in winter. That is not news of course. You may well go through a wheel or tire or two, hopefully not. If so there are ample sources for take-off Porsche wheels so you needn't buy new OEM from the dealer.

(3) regarding Porsche discount, there isn't that much in a car. I would frankly prioritize buying the car from a dealer you like and who is convenient versus trying to squeeze $500 more out of the sales price. If you are in Manhattan we only have one dealer. You can PM me and I can make an intro to the Porsche manager if you like. They are unlikely to be the low bidder but they are convenient and service is good. They also have allocations generally.

(4) regarding clear bra stuff I know two great people if needed. Both are outside the city. One up in NNJ and the other out in New Haven.

Again, feel free to PM if you need any help. Best of luck with the new car! Caymans are awesome.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:14 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Wheel and tire insurance is a great idea. It has paid off for me. 20" wheels are at risk in a pothole rich environment. Go smaller.

Quick Reply: Some questions about owning a Cayman in NYC