Notices

NJ Inspection with Flashed ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 06:26 PM
Boss77
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NJ Inspection with Flashed ECU?

I am looking at a car, where the owner says that Massachusetts will not give him an inspection sticker because a previous owner flashed the ECU with an aftermarket tune, which changed the checksum returned by the ECU (even though it passes emissions). He has since flashed the ECU to stock but the checksum still doesn't match what MA is looking for, but they will not tell him what that field is and Porsche is of no help.

Will NJ ECU check have the same issue?
Old 09-17-2017, 10:06 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I'm on other car forums and it's well known that they use the checksum up there. People on various Z and Audi forums are well versed on it and some vendors claim they can get around it. They don't and forum battles wage on. As for NJ I don't know, check the Import forums as the Subaru and VW crowd gets hit with it. In DC and Md I've never failed with a aftermarket tune
Old 09-19-2017, 01:00 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I live in MA and also active on Audizine. I have never heard of a 100% stock car failing an inspection after an ECU has been flashed back to stock, unless the car was flashed immediately before the inspection and had yet to fully reset. The checksum is primarily used by VW/Audi to "TD1" cars, but that does not affect inspections.

Things could change in October when we get the "new" inspections

P.S. Porsche Westwood does inspections, so you could call the service dept and ask about the issue.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 85 Posts

Old post, but still for reference purposes... a tune will not effect your state inspection in New Jersey. The only way it will is if you have no cats and have them turned off via the tune. In nj we only check for emissions. So aslong as you a) don’t have a check engine light on in the car within 50 miles of driving to the inspection station and b) don’t have your cats turned off... you will be fine.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:54 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I have two cars with no cats and they are tuned cars.

In new jersey you can pass with one readiness not set. So if your cat monitor is tuned off you can pass. My 911 and my audi s4 are both like this.

I dont have an inspection sticker on the 911 but the audi passes every time no problem but do not bring it to the DMV go to a private place if they check under the car they will mark your vin as tempered

Quick Reply: NJ Inspection with Flashed ECU?