Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:07 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy Rev
I just use headphones with a mic and just throw the phones around my neck. Then if I need to use the phones cause the wife thinks its too late, I can just toss them on.
http://www.frys.com/product/6421392?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
I keep thinking about building a sort of "enclosure" around my entire sim rig and then soundproofing it. I've got this nice 5.1 setup that sounds awesome when turned up (especially with the sub...) but the wife hates the noise so I'm usually running a set of Turtle Beach 5.1 headphones. Problem with using that, I've found, is that the voice chat gets kinda "lost" in the engine noise.

Nice thing about using the 5.1 setup is then I use a USB headset that I cut up and mounted inside an old helmet for the voice chat... and even with the 5.1 setup cranked, the voice chat is easy to hear and understand. And with it all being inside a helmet, the helmet shields the mic so the folks on the other end don't hear all the engine noises screaming whenever I talk. (Though I haven't been able to do that since getting the Rift - the Rift doesn't fit inside the opening in the helmet! So I've been using a cheap cheap USB headset.)
Old 01-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I keep thinking about building a sort of "enclosure" around my entire sim rig and then soundproofing it. I've got this nice 5.1 setup that sounds awesome when turned up (especially with the sub...) but the wife hates the noise so I'm usually running a set of Turtle Beach 5.1 headphones. Problem with using that, I've found, is that the voice chat gets kinda "lost" in the engine noise.

Nice thing about using the 5.1 setup is then I use a USB headset that I cut up and mounted inside an old helmet for the voice chat... and even with the 5.1 setup cranked, the voice chat is easy to hear and understand. And with it all being inside a helmet, the helmet shields the mic so the folks on the other end don't hear all the engine noises screaming whenever I talk. (Though I haven't been able to do that since getting the Rift - the Rift doesn't fit inside the opening in the helmet! So I've been using a cheap cheap USB headset.)
I have a "hidden" space behind a closet under the stairs that Ive thought about cleaning out and making the whole thing my sim. I do have a hard time hearing chat while driving. I'd love to have chat in ear only.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:20 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim, I was wondering how you were going to get your headset around the Rift :-)
I picked up one of these http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-840-Mono-USB/, pretty cheap but it is hard to understand some of the people when they are talking. I also have the 5.1 system working now. Just looking at something wireless that isn't going to cover both hears. I have a Jabra bluetooth that it looks like if I can find the right kind of bluetooth USB adaptor I should be able to get it to work, we will see.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:39 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Well the Rift straps on like a pair of ski goggles. Headphones fit just fine. And if I'm not concerned about voice chat (I had voice chat disabled until I started to get more involved with the RL guys here) then the headphones work just fine. Maybe not quite as fun as the full 5.1 speaker setup, but they're not bad. They're actually nice headphones, they sound good and are comfortable.

Once I throw voice chat in, they become less than ideal.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:46 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Indy Rev
I have a "hidden" space behind a closet under the stairs that Ive thought about cleaning out and making the whole thing my sim. I do have a hard time hearing chat while driving. I'd love to have chat in ear only.
Yeah if I ever finish out my basement, I have plans for putting in an extra bedroom (and the plan was to move my home office area from this giant loft space upstairs into the basement, and convert the loft to a library/reading area). With the Rift I can ditch the triple monitors - and then I can very easily fit the entire setup inside a traditional closet. Plan would be to move all my crap into the "new" bedroom downstairs. I could just soundproof/insulate the bejesus out of the closet....
Old 01-21-2014, 11:57 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

FWIW, I turn down all the volumes about as low as they go except the tires (max volume), spotter (middle-ish setting), and chat (about 3/4 up).
Old 01-21-2014, 11:58 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by loxner
Haha I got "in the zone" for a while there and managed to run some pretty quick laps. A lot of guys were running really good times tonight, I think there were a couple others down into the 43's, and several more in the 44's. Hopefully we can give JustinL a run for his money on Wednesday...
Whoa, you guys are getting fast! I'm going to hope that it was favorable wind for all the sessions except the one I was in That is one nice thing about the realistic weather, at least we know it will be a little different on race night.

Racing at Daytona is really a strange thing when we all get close to the same times. It becomes a prisoners dilemma. I did a hosted race on the weekend where I got an early lead then got stuck defending against 2nd only to be overtaken by 3rd. Battling can cost a huge amount of time, like 4 seconds or more per lap. It is really easy to defend at Daytona, but if you can manage to cooperate 2 guys can run really fast. The race is going to be about strategy and race craft this week. Bring more fuel than last week, there's a lot of full throttle time here.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:14 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JustinL
Whoa, you guys are getting fast! I'm going to hope that it was favorable wind for all the sessions except the one I was in That is one nice thing about the realistic weather, at least we know it will be a little different on race night.

Racing at Daytona is really a strange thing when we all get close to the same times. It becomes a prisoners dilemma. I did a hosted race on the weekend where I got an early lead then got stuck defending against 2nd only to be overtaken by 3rd. Battling can cost a huge amount of time, like 4 seconds or more per lap. It is really easy to defend at Daytona, but if you can manage to cooperate 2 guys can run really fast. The race is going to be about strategy and race craft this week. Bring more fuel than last week, there's a lot of full throttle time here.
Unless you've got a big gap, you don't want to be in the lead exiting the chicane on the last lap.

In the session I hosted on Saturday - I ran with a full tank of fuel and got ~29 laps in before I got the "2 laps remaining". So the car, in the daylight, used just under a gallon a lap. Anybody know if the car uses more fuel at night?

I also thought it was kinda neat that the low fuel light came on, next to the fuel gauge on the dash.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Given we should only be doing 15 laps in a 25 minute race, sounds like about 16 gallons would be right. Unless of course as you suspect, we use more fuel in more air dense night conditions.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:13 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll probably be hosting a practice session tonight around 9 central... Look for Rennlist Racers Daytona Practice (or something like that.) Sorry I missed practice Sunday, sounds like you guys had a blast.

Interestingly enough, I participated in my first driving event ever in a full sized car as opposed to a kart... A little autocross near Fort Hood. Had an absolute blast, and the Miata performed pretty well considering the tires are hard-as-hell garbage and the car was tail-out everywhere with about 100 RWHP. LOL. Won the "Import RWD Novice" class and was only a couple seconds off of the experienced, unlimited-class guys (BRZ with Direzzas, SCCA-prep NC miata on Pilot Super Sports, 5.0L Mustang with suspension and tires, etc. Guy that won in the BRZ is a Spokes+SCCA national qualifier.) Finished 7th or so overall out of about 40 cars. Feel pretty good about it, I'm going to get myself a set of those Direzza Zii's and see if I can compete in unlimited next month.
Attached Images      
Old 01-21-2014, 07:45 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you are on your way down the slipper slope, congrads :-)
Old 01-21-2014, 07:49 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks!

My decision to buy the simulator before the car seems to have helped... It was cool to be competitive pretty much right away.

The new tires are going to be my next investment- the Nittos I have are super old and hard... It was definitely a big adjustment to be processing a cone course instead of a road course, took some getting used to.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:55 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i cant make times good luck maybe next year
Old 01-21-2014, 09:04 PM
George_B
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi all,

Thanks to whoever hosted last night. This is a fast crowd. I need another 3 seconds a lap just to have a hope at mid field. That and i seem to be slow everywhere on the track I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.

I may sit this one out because i feel i'm a hazard to everyone else out there. i've put some hours into practice, but just am not improving. I'm not giving up and i'll probably show up for the practice session.
But this track just baffles me.

See you guys tomorrow.

Regards,
George (SpeedBump)
Old 01-21-2014, 09:30 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

George what kind of times are you running? I FINALLY got a lap in the 46s after going back to the baseline setup. Also, don't bow out if you think you're too slow. Just make sure your car is white or has the rookie/wreck paint job and everyone will give you space. The only way to improve is to get out there and race!

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread